The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » shadow box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Anyone have the plans or know where I can get some. Also if anyone has built one I would love some tips
Thanks!
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
I've built a couple (and actually have a complete-but-unassembled unit in my workshop.)

Plans can be infinitely simple or complex, depending on your needs. I would be happy to answer any specifics via private message.

Have you ever owned or used a shadow box? That might define the mechanics and materials you prefer.

As for general purpose tips:

* design it to break down for travel.

* spend more on your casters than the wood! 2 inch casters from your local hardware store will make spinning and moving your base a pain!

* especially if you choose a style that has "wings," try to have the design fit your show. An oriental pagoda design in a wild west show is probably not a good idea.

* choreograph your presentation with your assistant. Some assistants look like a dead duck sitting in profile. That's not necessary.

* choreograph how you handle your lighting as well; I've seen shadow boxes exposed because of shadows on the backdrop, and one local got his light cord locked up on a trapdoor handle because he skipped a rehearsal, and it seized up the prop as he spun it. It took 5 minutes behind a prematurely closed curtain to free it...

--- Guy
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I'm partial to the Okito version.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » shadow box (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL