We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » My Kennedy Flipper is too shiny (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dfeder
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of dfeder
I'm sure this has been addressed before and I apologize if it has (though I did a search and couldn't find anything relevant). I purchased a Kennedy half gravity flipper (Schoolkraft) and it works like a charm - except - it stands out because it is so shiny and new. It outshines even the newest Kennedy halves I have. Is there a way to age the coin other than carrying it everywhere?

Thanks.

Dov
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5339 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I know ways to age silver coins and yours is most likely silver; I don’t think Jamie Schoolcraft sells clad. I don’t know how the aging will affect the band though. I use the following process that I am pretty sure I got here on The Magic Café, but I can't find it right now so here it is (Hope this helps!):

Quote:
Materials:

Silver Coins - Be sure to check the coin lists to the left and find your coin to make sure it is in fact silver.
Bleach - Everyday household bleach will be sufficient.
Water - To dilute the bleach.
Tupperware - A plastic disposable tupperware is perfect for this. A plate or bowl will do just fine. Don't use a metal container.
7-Way Nail Buffer - A Trim 7-Way Nail Buffer. You'll find these for like $7 on the interwebs... $.99 at Wal-Mart! http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_p......umb=true

How To:

1. First, we'll darken the coins. Then we'll buff them.

2. To darken, mix enough bleach and water into your container depending on what you want your coins to look like,

* If you want a dark contrast to your coins, use 100% bleach. It will take about an hour and your coins will turn completely black.
* If you want a nice brown patina, use about 50% bleach, 50% water. Within a few minutes, or sometimes seconds, they will start darkening.
* If you want a slight patina, use very little bleach and lots of water. It may take a while, but you can pull them out at any time
* This is up to you. You can use any combination of bleach and water and get the look you want.

3. To brighten your coins, use your 7-Way Nail Buffer. Do not use side 1 or side 2, as these will wear down the coin. This is for aging your coins only.

* If you made your coins super dark, start with side 3.
* If your coins are not black, start with side 4.
* If you don't want your coins super shiny, don't move past side 4.
* If you want them really shiny, move up from side 4 until you reach your desired brightness.

4. This should be enough to age your silver coins. They are what you make them!

Jim
dfeder
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of dfeder
You my friend are good thank you so very much for this. I'll write back after I've tried it and let you know how it worked
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
On 2011-01-22 20:55, dfeder wrote:
I purchased a Kennedy half gravity flipper (Schoolkraft) and it works like a charm - except - it stands out because it is so shiny and new. It outshines even the newest Kennedy halves I have.

Your flipper sounds like a 1964 Silver coin as it came from Schoolcraft. But it sounds as if your other halves may be newer which almost certainly means they are clad coins. If this is the case, then there will always be a difference, no matter what ageing techniques you apply. The only solution is to use matching silver halves or buy a clad flipper.

Kind regards
Sean
dfeder
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of dfeder
Good call Sean. As a matter of fact, it is a 1964 and I bought it from TC who actually took the time to call me after reading my question to explain just that. The guy is amazing! I will buy all of my coins from him. He's reliable, accessible and fairly priced. In a world where there is no loyalty this guy deserves our business.

Div
T_C_Magic
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of T_C_Magic
Jim:
Thanks for the info on how to darken coins. I was just wondering today how to make my morgans all look the same.

Toby
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1601 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Be real careful Toby. Less is more.

Try this first:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=202

Regards,

Alan
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3250 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Ammonia will not darken clad coins, but it will dramatically diminish the shinyness of them, giving them a more "circulated" look.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » My Kennedy Flipper is too shiny (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL