We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Novel uses for a c/s coin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4186 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
I have seen the DVD Attack of the C/S coin, and Geoff Latta uses it with great results for his CSB routine, and for his coins across (on volume 1 of the NYCMS DVD series). I was just wondering if anyone was using it for something other than a c/s transpostion.
AT LAST - a NEW fun coins across!! MIGRATE is filled with laughs, magic, cool moves, lasts over 3 minutes, uses props, comes in a Poker Chip version or special Deluxe version with coins, and is about...BEARS! AT DEALERS EVERYWHERE!
https://youtu.be/hzf-Trbs4Ts

https://youtu.be/gGjMtW1DLjA

ALSO...available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com I also have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book, let me know if you want a pricelist.
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Profile of mavericklancer
Although you're looking for non-transpositions, I feel that Curtis Kam's Inferrential Transposition (Apocalypse vol 6) deserves a mention, due to its unique use. It's never really actively used, so heat is never on the c/s coin. Brilliant thinking.
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
575 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
Does John Bannon's Aztec Orient Express count? I think this is a very unique way of using a c/s.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9129 Posts

Profile of funsway
The Alchemist Fantasy effect uses the C/S coin to mask the apparent change of another coin -- it is the other coin that is seen to go though transpositon, so that might count.

Several effects of the C/S TUC uses the gaff for a false count of coins rather than a transposition, i.e. it is a transportation effect. In another Matrix type effect the Copper and Silver change places, then join, then vanish.

MagicIan also has a Matrix Effect with a Copper, Silver and Chinese coin.

I have done an effect for magciains in which they think I am using a C/S coin but the cross them up -- so the "concept of a C/S coin" is used for misdirection.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1687 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Hi Mike, I have a few routines that use a C/S coin in what I believe is a unique way. Kainoa Harbottle published "Diminishing Returns" in Coinapalooza International Deceptions, in this routine the C/S isn't used as a change or for a tranposition, BUT it's actually use to vanish a coin which remains in plain sight Smile I have another routine where it's used in the same manner. And finally I have a number of routines where the C/s is not only a copper and silver coin but takes on the role of several different coins. I first got the idea to use a C/S in this manner from John Bannon's Shanghai Suprise from Impossibilia.

Best,
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
575 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
Thanks mystre71.... I forgot the name... thought it was aztec orient express... it's actually Shanghai Surprise that I was thinking of.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-01-24 23:02, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
...I was just wondering if anyone was using it for something other than a c/s transpostion.

It makes a cute way to vanish the one silver coin from among a bunch of coppers on the table by simply turning over the gaffus in the act of picking up ... Smile

Similarly it makes an okay way to make the silver coin appear in someone's hand or on the table under a glass (ala tidlywinks change in CoinMagic)

Those are the two applications I've toyed with over the years.

I'm sure there will be other more interesting uses of the gaff to discuss. Like to hear what others have explored.

:)

Jon
...to all the coins I've dropped here
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
Earl Nelson's Triple Spell-Bound...
DGabbay
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of DGabbay
I perform Kenton Kenpper's time machine. It's a great effect and the emphasis is that the date on the coin has changed.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9129 Posts

Profile of funsway
Scott Gwinn has an effect (shared in TUC Appreciation) in which the C/S is shown on both sides as having changed "half way." I would not recommend this "reveal" normally, but it makes sense within the story-line.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
I like Curtis Kam's Hoppin Half that uses this gaff.
Wes
ugdini13
View Profile
Loyal user
Chino,Ca
258 Posts

Profile of ugdini13
Stephen Tucker's Imagine 2, from his Gemini Book of Close-up Magic, uses it for a mental magic trick

Kelly
"Perfection is in the details, but detail is no Perfection"-Dai Vernon
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Tommy Wonder's "Counterfeiter's Spellbound" from the Books of Wonder, or Spectacle. He used the gaff not so much to cause the change from copper to silver, but to reinforce the changes. Similarly, see my "Coercive Purse" routine. (Which is referenced in the write up of Tommy's routine) I've also got a really weird version of the penny/dollar transpo using a sudbury/dollar gaff, and dual reality.

Or how's about an "any coin called for" coins across, as appears on the COINvention dvd's?

Scott Robinson's "Differences" is essentially a c/s transpo, but a 3 for one. Lovely use of the gaff.

I suppose we should mention "Presto Chango" as an early non-transpo use, and Walt Rollins' coins through table.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Nobody gonna ask about using the scoop addunder as a cleanup after the coin appearance under the glass? Okay. Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Forgot to mention an item from an old post on the Café where in a coins across you accidentally pick up an extra coin, a copper, and that's the coin that travels. That's a more practical item than the gag where you get a large penny coin into the action by picking up a regular penny along with the silvers and having a "the fly" incident. Smile

Just as an aside, if you recall Curtis Kam's Inferential Copper Silver routine - and start with two chinese coins palmed and one small chinese coin among the change you could make the coins in both their hands become chinese by tapping their fists with the one they see on your other hand. Kind of surprise instead of a repeat. Smile
Chris Westfall
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
252 Posts

Profile of Chris Westfall
Up here n canada we have the toonie loonie copper silver coins which are 1 and 2 dollar coins. My good friend Jeff Hinchliffe has come up with some amazing and visual ideas which consists of making money disappear and reappear a dollar at t time for example his spending and saving routine. its the most unique handling ive seen the only trouble is that its unique to canadian currency because of the coins value being twice as much or half as much as each other.
Chris Westfall
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
252 Posts

Profile of Chris Westfall
Also john Bannnon's , Shanghai surprise in impossibilia pg 76
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1687 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Chris Westfall, Where can we find Jeff's routine? Would love to check it out.

Mike R. since you started this thread, I'm thinking you have something up your sleeve? Smile

Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Novel uses for a c/s coin (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL