The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Critique! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris W
View Profile
Regular user
Have you seen my
176 Posts

Profile of Chris W
Hey Guys,

I have been working on a Spellbound Routine for a few months now. I came up with a routine, had MB critique me (thanks again Marion!), then redid it over a number of times. I borrowed a friends camera because all I have is a terrible webcam. I would love to hear what you liked and what you think I can do to improve it. I already have some feedback from Orb who gave me some awesome advice, but would love to hear from many others. I can't get better by staying stagnant.

It's nothing original or special, but I like it so far. Hope you do as well. Thanks for taking the time to watch and respond. http://www.vimeo.com/18806719

Chris
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Profile of mavericklancer
There's some good stuff in there. I always enjoy spellbound routines that have more than just the standard spellbound changes. Since you're already under Marion's tutelage, I assume you know about his great work in spellbound routines. His crimp change would be a nice little addition there too. Some points to work on:

Your patter is a bit dry. You start good by going into alchemy, but it eventually just becomes descriptions of what you're doing. Find more about the history of alchemy or about the consequences of what can go wrong, etc.

To me, a good coin routine builds up in tension and ends strong. Consider adding in a third coin for a kicker ending or making a complete vanish?

The change where you go into JW grip is a bit jerky. And this is just a personal thing, but I always cringe when I see people using JW grip with their pinkie and ring fingers scrunched back. If you hold your hand in a natural "C" configuration or hold a coin naturally, most people won't pull all of their fingers back like that. To me, it just looks awkward. I prefer to keep those two fingers sort of parallel with my middle finger, but slightly elevated.

From your routine it seems as if you've had a great start from Eric Jones' Metal. For more great spellbound moves, I highly suggest Dr. Rubinstein's Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights (Vol. 2). He has a few great routines and TONS of great spellbound sleights. Keep up the good work and I hope we see more!
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Chris,

Good stuff. Thanks for posting. S
Chris W
View Profile
Regular user
Have you seen my
176 Posts

Profile of Chris W
Thanks my man. I greatly appreciate the advice. I completely agree about the patter. Orb had mentioned that I pretty much stop talking after the first change or so, and obviously you noticed it as well. I will do some research and work on my words.

I definitely enjoyed Metal as you've noticed. There are some great stuff in there for the coin novice such as myself. I honestly don't know many complete vanishes, outside of (ironic due to my patter?) Alchemy from Ben on Theory 11 which obviously just came out a few weeks ago. Any suggestions? I'll have a look in Bobo's...

Thanks also for your words on my JW grip work or lack there of. I will play around with what you said. Thanks for your time!
PAUL K
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
547 Posts

Profile of PAUL K
Great Job! Welcome to the Caf'e.There's a great trick in Bobo's Mornern Coin Magic called The Inferior coin page 246.The effect is you have two silver coins in your hand and they change to copper.
Orb
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Orb
I just wanted to stress again that, with what you just presented to us, you could amaze a crowd with. It's very magical and well done, and all these small tips here and there are just to make things more deceptive!
Chris W
View Profile
Regular user
Have you seen my
176 Posts

Profile of Chris W
Thanks Sean and Paul. Greatly appreciated.

Orb, I completely understand. That's what I want. As said in a thread a started a month ago, there are these little sublteties that make coin magic that much better. You can get away with some stuff, but with the little nuaces, you can amaze. I will certainly be re-reading you points you made via PM. Thanks again.
PetePennekett
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of PetePennekett
In your on words this is pretty cool - I agree with Mavericklancer on the JW Grip point and you probably could do with working on your patter but as Orb said this would already go down well with a lay audience.

~ Pete.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Hi Chris some very nice stuff
pm me ill send you my crimp color change that you may want to incorperate into your routine,,,
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi Chris

As already mentioned, overall it was a really nice and magical routine.

You seem to have a great personality that I think most people will like. (In other words you'r not showing off)

As you've already mentioned it's the little subtitles that can make your magic even stronger and with a few (Little)tweaks you will have an even better routine.

Keep going my friend you are almost there.

Also, remember that everyone has a different opinion, therefore the most important thing is to be true to your self.

All The Best.
dedikc
View Profile
Veteran user
France (Lyon)
340 Posts

Profile of dedikc
Hello chris.

It's very hard to see the copper coin because of the light.

In pocketbook, Curtis Kam write that copper coin have to be durt, dark. Do not wash your copper coin.
One more idea, I don't like the use of a copper coin, I prefer a copper chinese coin. Because of the hole, people can follow the trick. It's for this reason that Ponta do his routine with a chinese coin.

Other thing, your hand looks not very open, and due to the fact that your coin are very small it's easy to think that the coin is hidden in the hands. And becarefull to not be crampy .
Chris W
View Profile
Regular user
Have you seen my
176 Posts

Profile of Chris W
Peter - Thanks for your words. I will certainly try to add to my patter and my JW grip mechanics. Thanks for your advice!

Vinny - Pmed you! Thanks.

truesolider - I appreciate the words of wisdom. Thanks.

dedikc - Orb mentioned that there wasn't enough contrast between the two coins as well. I totally see where you guys are coming from. Anyone have suggestions to darken up my copper coin so it doesn't reflect the light like my silver half dollar? I hear what you're saying about my hands. I will to show them more open with a few subleties and slight pauses. Thanks for the advice.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Chris the demo is on the way
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Chris W
View Profile
Regular user
Have you seen my
176 Posts

Profile of Chris W
Thanks again Vinny! Greatly appreciated
Chris W
View Profile
Regular user
Have you seen my
176 Posts

Profile of Chris W
The Crimp Color Change by Vinny is unreal. Incredibly ingenious! I will for sure be adding this after a number of weeks of practice.
Chris W
View Profile
Regular user
Have you seen my
176 Posts

Profile of Chris W
Anyone else have any suggestions. I don't mean to bump my own thread, but I would love other's opinions. I do understand that I have plenty to improve upon based on what suggestions I have thus far, but wanted to see if there were others that would be able to give me their critique. Thanks again to those that gave their opinions already and those that might want to watch the video again and see if there is anything else I could work on (I'm sure there's plenty!).
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
@Chris W.

Good job Chris. Nice technique overall. But I must admit that this routine (along with your spellbound gets too long and boring for me. I really think you could cut down some sequences and make it more interesting (more direct)
And maybe also make the sequences look more natural...Right now imo, I see too much technique. I definately think you could make it look more natural overall.

Daniel
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
In my opinion, a spellbound routine should have a beginning, a middle, and an end. The beginning coiuld be, say, a production, the middle are the changes, and the end is, say, a vanish, or change to a third coin, etc. You can see an example in my Silverlint 4, on the New York Coin Magic seminar DVD Copper Silver set. I also think that the changes should be limited to about 4 - this is only a guide, but too few and you haven't established the magic, too many changes, and it becomes overproving and after a while, boring. I am not a fan of many changes. If you have too much hesitation in your moves, it looks like you are working. The change should be smooth, no hesitation, and not a lot of grip changes. Hope that helps.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Chris W
View Profile
Regular user
Have you seen my
176 Posts

Profile of Chris W
Thanks Dr. Rubinstein for your comments. I am slowly learning about building up a routine, which I obviously didn't do a great job of in my Spellbound. I have lots to improve upon which is great. Thanks again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Critique! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL