The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Invisible Deck question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
fog
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of fog
I just purchased an ID. The pair of cards seems to be a bit hard to separate, so that the chosen card is face down. Do they get easier to separate as I use them, or am I doing something wrong?

Can I do something to make the two cards come apart more smoothly?
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Hi Fog, welcome to the Café! The cards will get easier once you use them a little. You might go through the deck and separate them anyway since they tend to cling to each other a little in the beginning from being in the box.

Mark.
haroldross
View Profile
New user
Walthill, Nebraska
30 Posts

Profile of haroldross
I wouldn't do anything to make them separate easier. Working with them should loosen them up. Also, I found out that practicing and experimenting with how much pressure I applied to them helped. Too much pressure keeps them together.

It also could be that whoever made the ID used too much R/S. I know from personal experience in making my own ID.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Worst case, a little powder may help. Use will likely solve the problem. (I have been known to use steel wool on a "Bad Boy".)

Bob Sanders
Magic by Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Blow through them like you're playing one of those mouth harp things, then riffle and restack them. Works for me. Smile
kendavis
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of kendavis
Try to LIGHTLY steel wool (OOOO grade) the rough coat off the upper left corners. To separate, just put pressure on the corner! I have also made my own ID decks. I lay out the cards and spray one swipe across the middle with rough coat (or Testers Dull Coat). The if you put pressure on the center the cards stay together. Pressure on the top or bottom will allow them to release quickly. If you are fanning, spray the coat on the cards diagonally. That will leave a pressure point for fanning which will keep the cards together. Good luck!
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
It also helps if your fingers are a little tacky. If you have dry hands, you may need a little help - either a little saliva or a product.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
I would just keep practicing with them. They will loosen with time. It also gets easier as you keep working at it. It is a great deck and definitely worth the effort. Good luck and have fun!
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
@fog - if you got one of the MagicMakers decks, it may take longer to break it in than one of the other brands, like the one at Penguin. I got a MagicMakers deck free with a DVD, and noticed that the R/S was very uneven. Way too much on some cards, and not a lot on others. Took a long time (and rubbing some cards on my pants) to get it working smoothly.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
ferraroj
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of ferraroj
I would definitely try lotion on your hands before I would do anything to the deck. if your hands are dr it's almost impossible to get the cards to come apart.
aechecop
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of aechecop
If the situation is a real problem, I would take every pair and move them among each other losing them up a little. Do that until you feel that the level of traction is adequate for your style. If you over do it, there is always ways to fix them.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Never thought of using steel wool; I put the card on a hard flat surface (like a counter top) and then use a piece of old bath towel (or old wash cloth) by lightly rubbing a card with it. Same for the mate card. Then I test it out and see if they still stick or are hard to separate. If so, I repeat the process.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Rectify
View Profile
New user
Florida
55 Posts

Profile of Rectify
Use less pressure, when you go through the cards you want to apply pressure, but when you want them to seperate you need to barely touch the top card, and it'll slide right across the back of the other.
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
Quote:
On 2011-06-24 13:35, Rectify wrote:
Use less pressure, when you go through the cards you want to apply pressure, but when you want them to seperate you need to barely touch the top card, and it'll slide right across the back of the other.

Yep.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Elliot Marx
View Profile
New user
Australia
83 Posts

Profile of Elliot Marx
Hi Fog

Prior to making my own IDs I had similar problems with some of the 'new' decks.

I found rubbing the cards' backs against each other then against a soft towel to remove the 'micro particles' (for want of a better term) worked well.

I prefer making my own now as I have more control over the handling of the deck. Can be time consuming but nothing beats catching a fish on your own fly.

The RS will obviously wear down in time, but this should get you up and running so your handling can be smoother.
Jon W.
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Jon W.
I agree with those who have talked about playing with how much pressure you put on the cards. Less pressure is best for sure.
RyanAdams
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of RyanAdams
Fog,

I personally wouldn't bother with any lotion products, I fail to see how they are practical in a working environment.
I had the same issue with mine, it just takes time to loosen the cards.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On 2012-05-31 07:24, RyanAdams wrote:
Fog,

I personally wouldn't bother with any lotion products, I fail to see how they are practical in a working environment.
I had the same issue with mine, it just takes time to loosen the cards.

I find that applying lotion to my hands helps tremendously to separate the cards. It probably is not necessary if your hands ar NOT dry. But in my case, that is the answer. I also need lotion for other manipulations such as a bill switch.
It depends on your individual situation.
It may take time to loosen the cards as others have suggested OR your hands could be too dry.

Ihor
Ihor
MikeBeaudet
View Profile
Loyal user
Becancour
228 Posts

Profile of MikeBeaudet
Fog,

No hand lotion, no rubbing just play with your cards and find the right pressure, its all you need.

Mike
Do your best and forget the rest
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On 2012-06-04 14:03, TheSphinx wrote:
Fog,

No hand lotion, no rubbing just play with your cards and find the right pressure, its all you need.

Mike

I've been doing this for quite a while and believe me (and others) when I say, lotion IS necessary.
I have no problems when my fingers are able to slide the cards. It's not just the ID deck but many other manipulations as well. I can't do the TT bill change unless I use lotion.
Perhaps you do not have dry hands, therfore it is not an issue for you.
Ihor
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Invisible Deck question (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL