The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Films that no-one seems to know (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
When I was younger (under 10) I remember lying on the floor in my parents' lounge on a rainy Saturday afternoon watching a black and white film called "The Monolith Monsters".

Since that day I haven't met a single person who has seen it. It's a film about crystals which, when they come into contact with water grow out of all proportion, fall over and smash things (like buildings), then the fragments themselves grow out of all proportion, fall over and smash things, then the fragments..... ARGHHH!

I think I've remembered that right.

Anyone else seen it? I enjoyed it back then. Are then any films that you've seen that draw a blank when you mention them to others?
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
I haven't seen it myself, but there's plenty of info on the web:

Google Search: +"Monolith Monsters"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Yes, it's one of those films.

Crystaline stuff that melts in the rain. (flood from dam)

Yes, I have seen it, like kronos, it's a cute film.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
One film I always remember from my youth was "Quebec".
It seems to of been shot at night and I couldn't figure out what was going on. I looked it up in a film book recently, but nobody else has heard of it.
At about the same time I saw "Latin Lovers" which I remember because young boys hate titles like that.
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
I saw some movie when I was too young to fully remember, but I remember that I watched it alone, and it was some sort of rip-off of Superman. It was a guy in a white/grey tights, and I think either some big hair, or a hat, or something on his shoulders too(I was young)

The most notable thing, was that in the middle of the movie there was some song that was the word "--------" or "bullcr**" over and over again, and I thought it was PG!!!!!!

The first time my virgin ears heard cussing and I never told my parents.... has anyone seen that?
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Taking a slight diversion here, my favorite bad movie of all time was Ishtar, with Warren Beatty and Dustin Hoffman. It wasn't quite as bad as everyone made it out to be; I found it to be a nice, little "B" buddy movie. But it certainly wasn't worth the budget they poured into it.

What made the movie my all-time favorite, however, was Gene Shalit's review on the "Today" show. It was fashionable to pan the flick, but Shalit outdid them all, with two words. He stared at the camera and said, "Ishtar ishtarrible."

(It's moments like that that stick with me.)
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Chris Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield, TX
155 Posts

Profile of Chris Boyd
I remember an episode of "Growing Pains" where Maggie Seaver was waiting to broadcast a live feed in the rain, and it kept getting put off, and she was miserable. The movie that she was waiting to interrupt when the station went to her live feed was "Ishtar". That's all I know about the movie!
Chris Boyd
"Jaws dropping is the sweetest sound..."
RoyHolidayMagic
View Profile
New user
New York
85 Posts

Profile of RoyHolidayMagic
There is a great movie called "Magicians" that is only available on video/DVD at Blockbuster Video. It's a great movie about magicians...you should see what their idea of a magic club is (imagine what a layperson would picture a magic club as...that's what it is). It's funny and is an overall good movie that no one has seen.
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
There was also a TV movie called "The Man In the Santa Clause Suit" (I think). It had Fred Astaire who played about 7 different characters (who were really all Santa).

No-one except my sister (who watched it with me when we were about 7) remembers it.

Anyone else?
Chris Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield, TX
155 Posts

Profile of Chris Boyd
Quote:
On 2003-07-29 16:56, RoyHolidayMagic wrote:
There is a great movie called "Magicians" that is only available on video/DVD at Blockbuster Video. It's a great movie about magicians...you should see what their idea of a magic club is (imagine what a layperson would picture a magic club as...that's what it is). It's funny and is an overall good movie that no one has seen.

The DVD is sitting on our entertainment center right now, waiting for me to watch it. This is the second time I have rented it and I still have not seen it.
Chris Boyd
Chris Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield, TX
155 Posts

Profile of Chris Boyd
Oh man.

"Magicians" is the worst movie.

Ever.

Seriously. Borrow a book, keep it overdue for three months, and spend the money on late fees before you think about renting this stinker.
Chris Boyd
RoyHolidayMagic
View Profile
New user
New York
85 Posts

Are you kidding? I thought it was great!
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Just my two cents worth on the movie "Magicians". I have the DVD and I hated it the first time I watched it. But I actually enjoyed it on the second viewing a few weeks later. It is far from my favorite movie but it does seem to get a little better each time I watch it. If you really want to see a lame movie, watch "Plan 9 From Outerspace". It is so bad, that it is fun to watch.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Chris Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield, TX
155 Posts

Profile of Chris Boyd
Enjoying bad movies for their extreme badness is NOT something I enjoy. This movie wasn't even trying to be campy. The direction was sad and uninspired; the plot was like every other "crossing the country with a dream, enduring pitfalls along the way" movie; minor plot points were unbelievable (they left behind one of their illusions at the veterans show); other than Claire Forlani and Alan Arkin, the acting was just downright annoying; and it was quite apparent that very little research was done into the field of magic.

For the love of Pete, the protagonist (Max) thinks of Siegfried and Roy as gods. Alan Arkin, a lifer, is convinced that they will have a serious magic act good enough for Vegas within a week. Oh sure, we'll just put together a few (overdone) illusions, we'll put in a lot of practice but still manage to mess them up at small gigs on the road to Vegas, and by the time we get there, they will greet us with champagne and caviar as they marvel at our greatness.

Magicians is the quintessential "straight to video" movie. No amount of publicity would get enough people into theatres to watch a bunch of no-names, and the story is so bad that word-of mouth publicity was out of the question. So, off to video you go.

1 out of 5 stars.
Chris Boyd
RoyHolidayMagic
View Profile
New user
New York
85 Posts

No Names? Alan Arkin is a well-known and well-respected actor. Actually, he is one of the (I believe) 7 people to be nominated for an Academy Award on their first feature film. It's quintessential, yes, but what makes it funny to magicians IS that they did very little research. It's humorous. Just the magic club alone...
Mya Angel
View Profile
Special Assistant
California
1396 Posts

Profile of Mya Angel
The Lawnmower man. Smile
There is nothing that remains so constant as change. Don't end up like concrete, all mixed up and permanently set. Smile

He who slings mud will surely lose ground.
aposjf12
View Profile
New user
New York City
96 Posts

Profile of aposjf12
I remember growing up and watching what I thought was the funniest movie I had ever seen. I rented it nonstop for about two years from the age of 6 to 8. It was called "Moving Violations." I haven't seen or heard about it since then.
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
Ok-- Here's some (not many have heard of):

Food of the Gods

the groove tube

Ishtar _loved the song lyrics--too funny!

(my husband liked--DISCO BEAVER FROM OUTER SPACE)

The ESCAPE artist (Harry's first film!)
They made him jump into ice-cold water many times to get the shot. (him upside-down and handcuffed in h20)

Watership down

I'll think of some more.

Ellen
Jason Wethington
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, Fl
615 Posts

Profile of Jason Wethington
How about "Sliding Doors"? Really cool movie with a great premise. Also a really good movie that not many people have seen is "The Cat's Meow" with my all time favorite comedian Eddie Izzard.
Jason
Mya Angel
View Profile
Special Assistant
California
1396 Posts

Profile of Mya Angel
My mother has warts! Smile
There is nothing that remains so constant as change. Don't end up like concrete, all mixed up and permanently set. Smile

He who slings mud will surely lose ground.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Films that no-one seems to know (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL