The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Tray jack table (waiter's stand) vs. Tripod table (music stand/trap table) (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magic1
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
408 Posts

Profile of Magic1
Tray jack table (waiter's stand) vs. Tripod table (music stand/trap table)
Advantages/disadvantages. Discuss (please)
Thanks!
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Quote:
On 2011-01-28 05:26, Magic1 wrote:
Tray jack table (waiter's stand) vs. Tripod table (music stand/trap table)
Advantages/disadvantages. Discuss (please)
Thanks!

Never used the trap table, but I love my tray-table! I can flip it open with one hand & slap the top on it & I'm ready to go! The trap table cost over 3 times more & looks heavier to me so I've never been interested.

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of fireperformer911
Music stand better if your taller and is adjustable.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Tray jack/keyboard stand for stability 100%, and for portability 75%.

I say this from experience, having used both.

If stability isn't a total priority for you- say perhaps you are not using the table to support or move about more than 3 kilos, and not doing a vigorous C&Bs, you can probably use a tripod table with no problems.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
Tray Jack as has been said for stability, and the separate table top not only supports your cups and balls, etc, the other side allows for promotional signage as you carry it about, and later as you set up. I don't even put my table top on, until I have already drawn an edge. I leave the top with sign out facing the traffic until time to use it.

The tray jack with straps is also easy to sling over your shoulder and carry, and still leave your hand on that side free.

That all said, my tray jack finally broke, due to my carelessness, but it took a lot of abuse before that. So now I actually use an aluminum keyboard stand. And it seems to work pretty well with a similar concept as the Tray Jack.

BroDavid
aka The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
Magic1
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
408 Posts

Profile of Magic1
Thank you guys! Starsini said that his trap table (a pro version of a tripod/music stand) is just as heavy as a trajack/keyboardstand/tabletop setup- but I don't understand why it should be. I guess I have to go check it out. I like doing chopcup, so not too vigorous. I just want light and good. Any suggestions- I know there are threads on this, but what is the lightest keyboard stand? 39" is the perfect height for me. Thanks!
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
For what it's worth, there is an aluminum Trey Jack stand that stands higher than the wood one. It costs about the same but is not as nice to look at as the wood is, IMO. I've used the musical keyboard stand & they work okay, but I still prefer the wood trey jack stand myself. You are probably going to have to experiment a bit and see which works best for you.

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
Ivan Nikolayevich Ponyryov
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Ivan Nikolayevich Ponyryov
If you want light and functional I have made use of my case on its end- it is a aluminium tool briefcase type of thing- with a large coffee can on top of it and a 12 inch by 5 or 6 inch photo frame with a cut up close up mat inserted in the frame on top of that. It is portable and you can lift the frame up at the end and wait for the tips to fall in the coffee can.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
One nice thing about a wooden tray jack is that you can easily drill holes in it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2011-01-31 11:14, Frank Starsini wrote:
One nice thing about a wooden tray jack is that you can easily drill holes in it.
an excellent point, Frank!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of fireperformer911
Key Board stands are easy to drill as well.
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
I carry a black drape to throw over the stand to cover it visually, and the black stnd part that does show at the bottom is not at all visually distracting.

And I have put a few holes in mine as well, for hooks to hang a bag, etc. I place my knapsack under the draped table to keep it from prying eyes. It is black too so it hides there handily.

BroDavid
aka The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Keyboard stand all the way. If you want to see a sweet rig, check out what Kozmo uses. You can see it in Tales From The Street dvd if you have it.

Its a keyboard stand, wood padded top, and a servante from Frank's site.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Anyone who uses a keyboard stand is no friend of mine dammit! I'm drawing a line in the sand RIGHT HERE! Smile

THIS WILL NOT STAND!

Who's with me? Smile
Magic1
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
408 Posts

Profile of Magic1
I know you're joking Gaddy, but why
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2011-02-02 06:01, Magic1 wrote:
I know you're joking Gaddy, but why
Not a day goes by where I don't ask myself that same question....
DanielMooncalf
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
113 Posts

Profile of DanielMooncalf
I dropped about $80 on a strong keyboard stand from best buy. It's been well worth it. I'm not one to treat my props well, so the wooden table didn't last long.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Hmmmm I am still stuggling with this one. I want a small table which I can collapse down and put in a laptop bag and take onto a plane....I will be doing gambling routines and chop cup so I am thinking tripod....if it is strong enough....which is the sticking point.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
If anyone needs a street table I suggest they contact Jazzy Snazzy, a member of the Café. Jazzy builds some really great custom stuff, including wands and tables (and a bunch of other stuff). He's been a busker himself for 30 years, so he knows exactly what we need and he knows how to make it.
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
Waiters stand is way more stable. You get people leaning on the table etc. You want stability. Nothing worse than a kid knocking over your table before the pitch.
plus if you're on uneven ground the tripod stand will be leaning a lot more and more unstable.
http://blackbeltmagician.com

"And it's a good thing I only use my power for good!!!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Tray jack table (waiter's stand) vs. Tripod table (music stand/trap table) (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL