The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Conditional rough and smoothing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rashkenes
View Profile
New user
Jacksonville NC
29 Posts

Profile of Rashkenes
I attempted to make a conditional rough smooth deck today. The effect would be like a mirage deck only you would be able fan it one way to show all cards the same and then fan it the other direction to show all cards different. Both times you would be able to show the back and front of the deck and it would look fine. While I can think of easier ways to accomplish this (gaffed cards) the uses for this type of smoothing would be great. Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to reveal too much here so I'm not going to say what I did but needless to say it only partially worked and still needs some tooling. Pm me and I'll tell you what I did that way.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Sounds like the Super R & S Principle invented by Will Deceive in the early 50s. We have the rights to an effect using this principle http://www.jayleslie.com/mov/amazo.mov although others can find more different uses, as they please. A Mirage type deck that changes on orientation sounds interesting.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I'm wondering if this is anything like the half-rough idea that's been kicking around the back of my mind....
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Chris Henderson
View Profile
Special user
Indiana -- Anyone w/ no life would have
563 Posts

Profile of Chris Henderson
Harry Anderson's great effect The Rough-Readers uses Super Roughing. He published it in M.U.M. a while back. Joe Berg and Al Aldini discuss Super Roughing in their booklet Rough Stuff including a triple roughing method (top, middle, and bottom), but I think when it gets that complicated you should fall back on the axiom, "Just because you can, doesn't necessarily mean you should!" Smile
"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief"

--Gerry Spence
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
I can imagine roughing half a card, then roughing the other half on the flip side. It seems pretty straight-forward (which usually isn't), but the real trick might be in choosing how to divide the halves; straight across, corner to corner, something in between?
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Conditional rough and smoothing (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL