The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » The Spencers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dbearden
View Profile
Regular user
Oneonta, AL
102 Posts

Profile of dbearden
I had the opportunity to catch the Spencers stage show in Birmingham, AL last night (1/28/11). This was the first time to see them in person, and I have to say that I was very entertained. They do a good job of pacing, and their presentation skills were excellent. If you get a chance to see them, I recommend them highly.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19819 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
They were on the college circuit at NACA back in the 90's and they were just fantastic back then. To boot they are two of the nicest people in the business as well.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
826 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
I'm probably in the minority with this opinion...and it's just that - MY opinion. I wasn't impressed in the least when they came through Huntsville a few years ago. Almost every single trick used just another "trick box." In fact, I felt myself cringing every time they wheeled out some new box onto the stage. My background was originally in street magic (although I've moved to stage) so I was very disappointed that they didn't do more manipulation routines or quick change, or ANYthing else to vary the routine! I was able to take ordinary objects, let the spectators handle the object, and then do miracles with the objects. I obviously understand stage magic is very different in that regard. However, you can certainly vary your routine and do some mentalism, escapes, manipulations, etc. I just felt they could have added so much to the show that wasn't there. But who knows, maybe they weren't getting paid enough to do the big show. Haha.

Now that I've been transitioning into stage magic, I would love to catch them again to see if I can learn anything else from their routine. And I DID learn from them. In their defense, the audience was horrible that night. It's very difficult to perform for little to no applause. What's the point, right? But in the audience's defense...maybe they didn't feel very entertained? Just an opinion from a small-time magician. Smile

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
magicguy72
View Profile
New user
Virginia
29 Posts

Profile of magicguy72
I guess I'm surprised by Matt's summation of the show because there really aren't many "boxes" in our production. It is one of the things that I most dislike about illusions - they are all box tricks. We've worked very hard with Jim Steinmeyer to incorporate illusions in our show that aren't "box tricks." And our shows does incorporate some mentalism routines, escape, audience interaction, and stage magic. It does not include "quick change" or "manipulation" - that's not what we do. Our average audience is about 1500 and manipulation doesn't carry into a crowd that size unless you're using big screen projection. My opinion has always been if people want to pay $35 to see live performance, they shouldn't have to watch it on a big screen. Just my opinion though. I'm sure there are performers out there who use it effectively. I just haven't seen one yet. I honestly don't remember the show in Huntsville. We have performed there several times over the years in different theatres. Sometimes buyers don't want the full production - they only want the first half of the show (for whatever reason) - but we still always incorporate enough variety so that it's not a "box show." I'm sorry that you walked away disappointed Matt.

My thanks to the other positive comments about the performance. I'm glad you - dbearden - had a good time in Birmingham - that was a fantastic audience! 99% of the time, we have a fantastic audience. I'm thankful that we wake up every morning with work on the calendar.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1220 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
I saw the Spencers at the Elsinore Theatre in Salem, Oregon quite a few years ago. The audience absolutely loved their show. It was very polished, professional, and very entertaining!
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
I have seen their show many times, and will continue to see them when I can. They are top notch people and do a great show. I am not a fan of "illusionist" type shows, but they are very entertaining, and audiences love them, as do I! Kevin and Cindy have been on the circuit for years and have won some very prestigious awards, deservingy so.
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
826 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Quote:
On 2011-03-19 08:18, magicguy72 wrote:
I guess I'm surprised by Matt's summation of the show because there really aren't many "boxes" in our production. It is one of the things that I most dislike about illusions - they are all box tricks. We've worked very hard with Jim Steinmeyer to incorporate illusions in our show that aren't "box tricks." And our shows does incorporate some mentalism routines, escape, audience interaction, and stage magic. It does not include "quick change" or "manipulation" - that's not what we do. Our average audience is about 1500 and manipulation doesn't carry into a crowd that size unless you're using big screen projection. My opinion has always been if people want to pay $35 to see live performance, they shouldn't have to watch it on a big screen. Just my opinion though. I'm sure there are performers out there who use it effectively. I just haven't seen one yet. I honestly don't remember the show in Huntsville. We have performed there several times over the years in different theatres. Sometimes buyers don't want the full production - they only want the first half of the show (for whatever reason) - but we still always incorporate enough variety so that it's not a "box show." I'm sorry that you walked away disappointed Matt.

My thanks to the other positive comments about the performance. I'm glad you - dbearden - had a good time in Birmingham - that was a fantastic audience! 99% of the time, we have a fantastic audience. I'm thankful that we wake up every morning with work on the calendar.

This particular show was at the VBC. Based on everyone else's reviews and what I know about you guys from other magicians (and people who went to school with you back in the day), you are great people AND great magicians. ...exactly why I want to see the show again. Smile

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
DominotheGreat
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of DominotheGreat
Yes I highly recommend going to see the Spencers if they are in your area. Well worth the money and time. I loved their show!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » The Spencers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL