We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Patrick Redford DVD on Any Card at Any Number coming soon (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Except that you will have to reset the deck if it is not in some order.
The Si Stebbins method goes right back in the box with no moving of any cards.

I had never seen Tom Baxter's calculations before and I love it.
This is a great ACAAN.
James

Quote:
On 2011-02-16 06:03, Roger Kelly wrote:
Fair enough Jan, I'm sure there must be a reason but I've been running this through my mind using a Si Stebbins and I just cant 'get it.' I mean, I don't see any benefit. Surely the alternative method that Patrick teaches in a mixed deck is less of a prep and therefore, the way to go?

But, of course, I see the benefit of a mem-deck, if that is firmly planted in one's brain. But any none mem stack, like a cyclical... Hmmmm, maybe its just me. (But I couldn't (or wouldn't!) walk until I was two, and I've only just removed the stabilisers from my bike!)
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Gorecki
View Profile
Loyal user
My servante is currently filled with
267 Posts

Profile of Gorecki
While we're on the topic of stacks, anybody using Mnemonica?
I own the book but I have yet to take the plunge.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8318 Posts

Profile of pegasus
So, if you use a Si Stebbings or an Aronson stack and the spec picks, for instance, 34, would you know which card was in that location? If so then this would be easier for me in the long run.
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1737 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
You absolutely would. This is what a mem stack of the si-stebbins system explained on the DVD would offer. Though I wish to be clear to anyone considering this... the effect does not need to use a full deck stack or any stack where a pattern is evident. If you can count to five you can easily have the Hands Off system work on your behalf from what is 95% a truly shuffled pack without any memorization or crazy calculations. Stacks certainly will work with Hands Off but really aren't necessary.
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3327 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Quote:
On 2011-02-17 03:56, Patrick Redford wrote:
...If you can count to five you can easily have the Hands Off system work on your behalf from what is 95% a truly shuffled pack without any memorization or crazy calculations. Stacks certainly will work with Hands Off but really aren't necessary.

Thanks Patrick - this is exactly what I've been trying to say. Notwithstanding Jan's kind words via PM and other's opinions, I just can't see the reason or need for anything other than this method.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8318 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Thank's Patrick. My mind goes blank when I'm perfoming so I need as much help as possible. Lol.
Gorecki
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Gorecki
I wouldn't learn a stack just for this effect (as it can easily be done without one as Patrick and others have said), but if you already know one, it'll speed up the proceedings.

Plus, on the off chance that spectator 1 would happen to name exactly the card that lies at the number chosen by spectator 2... well, you could simply hand them the deck right there and then. Smile
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Quote:
On 2011-02-17 09:35, Gorecki wrote:
you could simply hand them the deck right there and then. Smile

... true, but not as directly Smile
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
Gorecki
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Gorecki
Quote:
On 2011-02-17 10:04, doriancaudal wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-02-17 09:35, Gorecki wrote:
you could simply hand them the deck right there and then. Smile

... true, but not as directly Smile

Easy enough to clean up, I'd say. Smile
gh256
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of gh256
Any more reviews on this?
Suux88
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of Suux88
Quote:
On 2011-02-17 17:31, gh256 wrote:
Any more reviews on this?

watched it quickly once,
it's good, clever

you are going to have to carry the 2 boxes and the gimmicks to perform this,

making the gimmick first time can take 15-30 minutes of arts and craft

there are a few discrepancies in the performance that should go unnoticed in real life but have to be edited out in the demo
you do end clean! and can continue on with your favorite card trick

no stack is required, but a stack can be used
you can either count to 5, or do some addition multiplication depending on method

Tom Baxter's Si Stebbins Secret is very very cool, I will be using this method.

The impromptu version is also surprisingly descent
gh256
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of gh256
Ta very much Suux88 Smile
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1737 Posts

Quote:

watched it quickly once,
it's good, clever

you are going to have to carry the 2 boxes and the gimmicks to perform this,

making the gimmick first time can take 15-30 minutes of arts and craft

there are a few discrepancies in the performance that should go unnoticed in real life but have to be edited out in the demo
you do end clean! and can continue on with your favorite card trick

no stack is required, but a stack can be used
you can either count to 5, or do some addition multiplication depending on method

Tom Baxter's Si Stebbins Secret is very very cool, I will be using this method.

The impromptu version is also surprisingly descent

I would say there is really only one very minor discrepancy and on the DVD I explain exactly how to make this invisible even to the most discerning audience. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

-PGR
David Klass
View Profile
Special user
Beckenham, England
909 Posts

Profile of David Klass
I have this and like it.

The only problem I have is that the first deck is brought out for no apparent reason, other than to say I won't be using this deck.

It also can't be used for an effect before you go into this.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
There are some really fine tricks with the Si Stebbins setup and if you use a stack that you know there will be many tricks you can use.
James

Quote:
On 2011-02-18 05:07, David Klass wrote:
I have this and like it.

The only problem I have is that the first deck is brought out for no apparent reason, other than to say I won't be using this deck.

It also can't be used for an effect before you go into this.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
David Klass
View Profile
Special user
Beckenham, England
909 Posts

Profile of David Klass
Yep, I know James.
But do you know a routine where the cards remain face up throughout Smile
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3327 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Don't be put off by words of discrepancies. There is one only and it is so minor and should be familiar to anyone performing this as it is sooooo similar to a card move and goes unnoticed.

This is very clever - and for the price, I'd just get it without quibbling. You won't be disapointed. The hardest bit is making it!
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I actually think the second deck makes this stronger. It's that idea of bringing something into play that's been clearly visible from the very beginning...kind of like Tommy Wonder's card box, though in this case you wouldn't necessarily have to even mention the other deck. Just act as though you're fishing in your pockets, bring out the first deck, set it aside and bring out the second one along the guise of "I like the blue ones better" or any other number of lines. Seeing as how you're a magician I don't think too many people will find it odd that you carry two decks with you. No odder than pulling out a set of bright red sponge balls anyway Smile
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2416 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I have not been through the entire video yet but early on I sort of feel like Klass. I have no problems having two decks around. Not being able to use the first in an organic and flexible manner limits the manner in wich this can be fit into a show. If I am missing something sorry.
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1737 Posts

When we shot this video I performed a set before the finale with the blue deck of cards. It's a simple matter of routining to make such possible. I'd be happy to help anyone in PM's who would like to learn how to do so if having trouble.

-PGR
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Patrick Redford DVD on Any Card at Any Number coming soon (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL