The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Gallup Poll says 3 in 5 Americans believe in paranormal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
From the Gallup News Service:
Quote:
PRINCETON, NJ -- About three in four Americans profess at least one paranormal belief, according to a recent Gallup survey. The most popular is extrasensory perception (ESP), mentioned by 41%, followed closely by belief in haunted houses (37%). The full list of items includes:

Extrasensory perception, or ESP-41%

That houses can be haunted-37%

Ghosts/that spirits of dead people can come back in certain places/situations-32%

Telepathy/communication between minds without using traditional senses-31%

Clairvoyance/the power of the mind to know the past and predict the future-26%

Astrology, or that the position of the stars and planets can affect people's lives-25%

That people can communicate mentally with someone who has died-21%

Witches-21%

Reincarnation, that is, the rebirth of the soul in a new body after death-%20

Channeling/allowing a 'spirit-being' to temporarily assume control of body-%9

Here's the link BTW, with demographic breakdowns, etc..

http://www.gallup.com/poll/16915/three-f......mal.aspx
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Would that be the same folk that have never stepped foot outside their town? Smile
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On 2011-02-02 12:35, Roger Kelly wrote:
Would that be the same folk that have never stepped foot outside their town? Smile

I've stepped foot all over the world, so I think not.

Tony
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Ah...another case of believers getting ridiculed on the Café...

anyway...thanks for the post dt3
xxx
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
It's interesting to note that some of these figures are significantly lower than they were forty years ago when "new age" thought was riding a crest.

I wonder why only 21% believe in witches. While I can understand doubts about the efficacy of witchcraft and/or its rational basis, it is a fact that witches, at least the Wiccan variety, do exist.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Rebecca_Harris
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Rebecca_Harris
I'm quite surprised that some of those numbers are as low as they are. Some things, like ghosts or reincarnation I would have expected to be higher, perhaps as high as 50%
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
It may be that many people secretly do believe things they'd rather not admit to. It wouldn’t appear “cosmopolitan” to acknowledge something “unscientific”.

A trend I noted with the advent of “political correctness” was that the awkward questions didn’t go away, only the right to ask them. Could people as a whole be learning to play closer to the chest?
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
mrkmarik
View Profile
Regular user
New York
185 Posts

Profile of mrkmarik
Thanks DT3, for the good news!

Looks like I'm still employed, lol.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Many years ago in the mid nineties I was doing pretty well as a hypnotist quite well known. I had an idea to start a commercial seance in the centre of Edinburgh. It was to be in the same room where the last witches in Scotland stood trial and were sentenced to death. Across the road there was a very posh hotel been newly built only a year. One of the maids was messing about in the dumb waiter lift got trapped and died. It was the perfect location to build a commercial seance. I had it all planned the mechanisms effects etc.

It really really surprised me when I told friends and family members what I was going to do. Just about everyone of them told me that I shouldn't be playing around with this sort of thing. Most of them told me they wouldn't attend.

These are people who aren't religious say they don't believe in ghosts, esp, or the paranormal. But there you have it. And I must've got a similar reply from at least a couple of dozen people. It never went ahead for one reason or another.

I think the majority on a gut level if not intellectual level have some belief or instinct about ghosts, spirits, etc..
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
I'd go to anything as I'm void of all paranormal belief.

And I really don't understand anyone who requires any belief system. Reality does me just fine.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2011-02-02 17:30, Shrubsole wrote:
And I really don't understand anyone who requires any belief system. Reality does me just fine.

That, my friend, is, indeed a belief system.

Quote:
On 2011-02-02 13:35, DWRackley wrote:
It may be that many people secretly do believe things they'd rather not admit to. It wouldn’t appear “cosmopolitan” to acknowledge something “unscientific”.

I believe you hit the proverbial nail on the proverbial head. In my migration from magic to mentalism, I've noticed that even those people who act like they don't believe end up whispering among themselves after I've left their table. Perhaps it's because we all, secretly want to believe in something beyond the natural world.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-02-02 17:30, Shrubsole wrote:
I'd go to anything as I'm void of all paranormal belief.

The problem with that statement is that one's perception of reality is based upon the ingrained beliefs each one of us has regarding the nature of reality.

Bob
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Reality is dependant upon belief. Its the construct we build in our minds through fixed patterns of filtering out huge amounts of information being bombarded at us constantly. You can't function without belief. Everybody believes their construct is reality. Beliefs are also emotional rather than logic.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Quote:
On 2011-02-02 17:11, mindpunisher wrote:
It was to be in the same room where the last witches in Scotland stood trial and were sentenced to death.

I'm sure that might be a fact albeit the last to stand trial under the witchcraft act was actually Helen Duncan from Callendar, near Stirling. Albeit she was tried in Portsmouth, England.

William Wallace, Robert The Bruce, Robin Hood, Helen Duncan. The English never leave the Scots alone!
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Garrette
View Profile
Special user
926 Posts

Profile of Garrette
Quote:
On 2011-02-02 19:23, mindpunisher wrote:
Reality is dependant upon belief. Its the construct we build in our minds through fixed patterns of filtering out huge amounts of information being bombarded at us constantly. You can't function without belief. Everybody believes their construct is reality. Beliefs are also emotional rather than logic.
Not intending to get into a debate about it, but I think Bob's statement is more accurate. Reality is entirely independent of our perception of it, but our beliefs are entirely dependent on how we filter reality.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Fair point but if we were to get into an debate then it could well be argued that true reality has nothing to do with individual perception, although I would have to agree with your second statement.
Y'see? I take... and yet I give.
Garrette
View Profile
Special user
926 Posts

Profile of Garrette
Quote:
On 2011-02-02 19:44, bobser wrote:
Fair point but if we WERE to get into an debate then it could well be argued that true reality has nothing to do with individual perception, although I would have to agree with your second statement.
Y'see? I take.... and yet I give.
Um..... I think that's what I said. I know it's what I tried to say.

In any case, pistols at dawn. I shall not stand for this sort of civility and politeness in the Café, sirrah.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
You laid the challenge, therefore I get to choose the weapons. It's gonna' have to be another head butting fight I'm afraid. I don't win 'em all but this way I get to protect my hands cos they is what I need to write.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2011-02-02 19:41, Garrette wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-02-02 19:23, mindpunisher wrote:
Reality is dependent upon belief. Its the construct we build in our minds through fixed patterns of filtering out huge amounts of information being bombarded at us constantly. You can't function without belief. Everybody believes their construct is reality. Beliefs are also emotional rather than logic.
Not intending to get into a debate about it, but I think Bob's statement is more accurate. Reality is entirely independent of our perception of it, but our beliefs are entirely dependent on how we filter reality.

You thinking Bob's statement is more accurate isn't reality its just another belief. Even "shared" reality is construct created by humans. A dogs reality is something completely different. A belief is nothing more than a feeling of certainty something is so.

"Reality" is subjective. Even science is built upon labels concepts and theories which are often replaced for new ones. There are some shared facts. For example one day we will all die. For some that means the start of a new spiritual life for others it means the end. For both the reality of death is quite different. Some people excel in certain situations while others flounder. The reason is because they perceive "reality" differently therefore act differently and see things differently although the "facts" may be the same.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

The late Robert Anton Wilson wrote extensively about what he referred to as "etic" and "emic" reality - the "consensus" reality we all share, and "true" reality which, due to the limitations of our own senses, cannot be described. I highly recommend All of his works.

I think mindpunisher and I were basically saying the same thing. But, then again, that's just my perception of reality. Your interpretations may differ. Smile

“Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.” - John Lennon

Good thoughts,

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Gallup Poll says 3 in 5 Americans believe in paranormal (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL