The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Buying Authorized stage illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheAmazingLuke
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of TheAmazingLuke
Does buying authorized stage illusions for 10,000 hold any value? Is it a good investment? Do they hold Their value?
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
That is really subjective. What matters the most, after all, is your performance. As for if their value will be steady... That will likely depend if you take good care of them and / or make any significant upgrades to them, in which case the value could go even higher.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
744 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
Sent you a PM.

TR
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1166 Posts

Profile of magic4545
If, by 'good investment', you mean that people in the industry see you as credible and of high character and better moral standard, willing to support the person who has put the research, development, investment and creativity into bringing it to market...

Yes, it's a good investment.

However, the fact that you could even consider the knockoff publicly lowers your credibility in the eyes of some, due to the fact that you appear to be on the fence about doing what many consider to be the right thing.

Just saying.
TheAmazingLuke
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of TheAmazingLuke
To clear that up......I shouldn't even have put authorized in there...it was late...I just want to know if ANY stage illusions are good investments?
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1221 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
An authorized properly maintained illusion will definitely hold it's value. You will find Origami Illusions that are 10 years old selling for just under what a new one would cost.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-02-05 22:53, TheAmazingLuke wrote:
To clear that up......I shouldn't even have put authorized in there...it was late...I just want to know if ANY stage illusions are good investments?

If you mean like collecting coins or stamps, or buying precious metal like gold and silver. No, illusions are not investment props, they are illusions built to be used in an illusion show. If you are not an illusionist, then look other places to invest your money.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1829 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
I've heard Snap illusions hold thier value. A $750 modern art...how much lower could it go?
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1422 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Depends on who's selling it. I can't stand it when you run into those listings....

"Used Wellington Origami for Sale"
I have had this in my show for the last 4 years and it is in great condition. Paid $6,500 for the prop, $1,000 for the ATA cases, and $450.00 for the stand, a total of $7,950. For the next week only willing to let everything go for only $7,900!! Act now for the deal of the century!!

I mean seriously... it drives me crazy when I see ads like that. If it's only a few hundred bucks off the original, brand new price most people on this planet would just buy a new prop... just sayin. Ok rant over... Smile
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1422 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Quote:
On 2011-02-06 01:37, Living Illusions wrote:
I've heard Snap illusions hold thier value. A $750 modern art...how much lower could it go?

By the way.. that's hilarious Kevin. Smile
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
It is often repeated: "you get what you pay for"personally there is a "however".
Unless your playing the big times in big places, generally the audience today can't tell the difference between an owens and a (john doe-garage made),they look at the effect-same as the top make will do for you and furthermore,it also depends on the performer. The other side of the coin and it refers back to the begining question,will it continue to work flawlessly? speaking for myself: I have certain pieces that were built by a person (will not mention names-sorry)in the business who built for likes of H.B.jr. and alike and after 20 plus years of constant work they still run like swiss watches,need I say more.
wanmagic
View Profile
Regular user
tulsa, ok
185 Posts

Profile of wanmagic
The reality is that the economy is bad and magic resale value is not as good as it was just a few years ago. In agreeing with what is said above, certain illusions still seem to hold their value pretty well. Illusions like origami, blaney ladder levi with hoop, windshear, audience dismember, just to name a few. However condition as said above is always key.
Yes, if you are selling any type of magic and you are not that far away from the new price then naturally they should and would buy it brand new.
With a few exceptions most magic sells for around 50-60 percent of the value. The bigger and less practical the illusion you are selling the harder it will be to sale even sometimes at 50% of cost. The more practical it is ie the more places it can easily be used the more valuable it is.
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
On 2011-02-05 22:53, TheAmazingLuke wrote:

Then not.

Get a better hobby.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
coachc
View Profile
Regular user
WV
130 Posts

Profile of coachc
Supply and demand.....Anyone in magic for a long time has lost money on things that looked good and werent. The key is finding illusions that fit your personality and ones that you can create great presentations for. Theres where value begins to show. The illusions are tools in the hand of a skilled craftsman. Sometimes the right tools cost more. High cost on quality built pro items helps keep the curious and part timers away from them. Illusions like Origami hold their value because its so deceptive and unbelievable, and at the same time there are so few. Hard to copy illusions hold more value. We all look for value and best prices but keep in mind that all magic props are overhead in business and in order to be successful you must spend the amount necessary to have good dependable props to build your routines on. Great quality props will hold their value as long as the market doesn't become saturated with cheap knock offs and large numbers of them.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1221 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
LOL...that was funny Aaron! I know who your talking about.
MagicGib
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of MagicGib
Rights for Illusions are Crazy then add a prop to it and you need a massive loan to even start. anyone wonder why rip-offs are so rip ?
I find it so funny people even wonder
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
744 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
It cost a lot of money to have any business.. A gas station or any type of business has start up cost..
You can have a great magic act for 100k..

That's if the magician that buys the stuff has the talent to pull it off.

Some people have a great act for less.. But as far as illusions go it's not that bad to spend 10k per prop and have something that could last you 20 years and help build your name as a great act that fools..

It's not that high if you look at other businesses and compare... Look how much it would cost to buy the tools needed to be a dentist etc..

A small price to pay for the good stuff that can make you money if you have the goods as an artist..

Just my opinion..
TR
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Buying Authorized stage illusions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL