The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » First tricks you learned... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
742 Posts

Profile of Kameron Messmer
Im going to start some magic classes for children 3rd to 6th grade (7-12ish) I have a bunch of ideas, I've been teaching individual classes for years, but what were YOUR first tricks you learned? Tricks with everyday objects, not ball and vase, and drawer box...
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
21 Card Trick. It was a miracle that blew me away!!!

Mark.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Rising card! My mom made it for me. (To her the card force was only incidental!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
I'm not actually sure what my first trick was. It was either the shrinking wand or the disappearing salt shaker...
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Disappearing salt shaker would be great for that age!

Table knife version of hot rod would be a good fit with the salt shaker.

Hudson
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
My first trick was the cut & restored rope. It is still in my show 7 years later and gets great reactions!
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
jakubr
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of jakubr
If this is going to be for really small children like 7-8, maybe some basic card tricks, like with key-card would be good?

My first tricks were ones from Trilogy from DnD, but I had no idea about magic a that point, and I wouldn't recommend starting with this kind of material to anyone.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Don't remember the name, but where you show the four jacks in a fan, close the fan, put it on top of the deck, insert them into four different places, and voila, they are back on top (there are four misc. cards hidden behind the fan to begin with)....

Good times. A lot of good memories with this question!
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
French drop to disappear a coin...I couldn't believe it worked. Learned form The Art of Magic that I got as a gift when I was 8,9 or 10. I still have the book btw
aceofspades55
View Profile
New user
i have like
20 Posts

Profile of aceofspades55
Man, I remember my first gaff deck. The stripper deck. still use it.

:0

Posted: Feb 6, 2011 1:37pm
I learned the trick where their chosen card ends up face down, pretty simple stuff.
JmagicProductions

AMAZING street,stage,fire, and mentalism
MAGIC TRICKS!!!!!!
Vagueli87
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Vagueli87
I bought a Svengali with a 25 tricks dvd!! After a week I bought a matching deck and in less than one month I was the new attraction of my school !
Shakey
View Profile
Veteran user
In over 4 million i've made
360 Posts

Profile of Shakey
Started with a r/s deck for a card stab effect - First real piece of 'magic' was card warp - still do it now!!
WalkerMagic
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of WalkerMagic
My first trick was the broken and restored rubber band. I still use that trick to this very day.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Mine was the Svengali deck. I still have the very same deck to this day and use it all the time. I love it.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
WalkerMagic: Just curious - was it my Snap! HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
WalkerMagic
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of WalkerMagic
Quote:
On 2011-02-06 14:49, Harry Lorayne wrote:
WalkerMagic: Just curious - was it my Snap! HL.

Hi,

I'm not really sure. But I think so.

Tommy
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
I remember (as a child) doing a coin trick (a classic I believe) in which I made it vanish by rubbing it on my left elbow. Simple and effective...anyone remember this?

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
macc
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of macc
Quote:
On 2011-02-06 09:15, Dr. JK wrote:
Don't remember the name, but where you show the four jacks in a fan, close the fan, put it on top of the deck, insert them into four different places, and voila, they are back on top (there are four misc. cards hidden behind the fan to begin with)....

Good times. A lot of good memories with this question!

Hehe, I also don´t know the name but that was the first card trick I learned.
the plot was that the pack is a bank building and the four jacks are robbers.
three of them are going in different places in the building, one is on top and looks out.
then the police comes and they are instantly all four on top ready to leave.

other than that I would recommend a key card trick.
or what scott mentioned, the cut & restored rope.

or what I recently teached the 10 year old daughter of my girlfriend is the trick where you have one match lying on your hand or on the edge of a table and you rub another one on your trousers then you gently touch the one on your hand/table and it flies away.
she showed it to her teacher in school and he believed the static thing and even explained it to the class. Smile
trouser
View Profile
New user
Texas
82 Posts

Profile of trouser
I remember seeing David Copperfield do Crazy Man's handcuffs on TV when I was a kid. I wasn't into magic then but I REALLY wanted to learn how to do this trick. Fast forward several years. I was living in Moscow and some guy casually performed it for me at the office. I begged him to teach it to me. He did, and magic has been an obsession ever since. I recently did a magic workshop for some cub scouts. I used a few tricks outlined in Magic for Dummies that I felt were suitable for teaching to kids that age.
frankgq
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of frankgq
Coin rub into forearm was the first trick my grandfather taught me, as well as a self working card trick where you told a story while dealing out cards, then allowed the spectator to do complete cuts as many times as they wish, then the cards are dealt out into piles of four which all contained matching cards in each pile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » First tricks you learned... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL