The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Eisenhower Dollars And Shell (Auke Van Dokkum) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Does anyone have this set?

http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?ma......id=11059

This looks so good and I am 1 mm before to buy it. Because Auke seems to have the same good reputation and quality as Lassen or Schoolscraft.
Then I was browsing a bit and found a discussion on expended shell. In one of those threads (http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=64612&forum=202) "Daegs" has a very plausibel post I'd like to quote here (part of it):

"1. Expanded shells(like the half) were created so that you could borrow other people's halfs, or just for the ease of obtaining a 4 coin set(no shaving other coins).

The coin is created by pressing(flattening) a regular coin so it is larger than normal, and then machining it out.

This can cause warping on the face, since it is actually streched out, and means that the coin/shell is now thinner than a regular one.

As such, it is often easier to pick out the shell from other coins just by looking at the face, and also the coin won't cover much of the side compared to a cut down.

Also, all coins are not perfectly round, so the shell, and the set of coins matching it will be off round, which means you have to get a set of matching sized coins, and you still may have problems with a tight/loose fit depending on how the coins are rotated.

Since you can't borrow halfs anymore, and obtaining a cut down set of halfs is pretty easy, I don't see a need for expanded shells anymore.

... "

I am new to shells and especially would like to have a good shell to practise Homer Liwag's beautiful "CoinOne" and ome cool Matrix effects.

But now I not sure anymore about wheather to get an expanded or unexpanded shell. The Auke Van Dokkum set seems to be an expanded set. And the description says: That there is no worry about the edges to be seen. And since Auke also has such high quality, I don't know if this set is more than enough. Does anyone owns this, or can give me tips on this subject?
It also seems that the Van Dokkum set has 4 adequat coins to the shell, not a individual shell I can place onto anything.

What do you think about Daegs post? Should I (we) spend money on expanded shells nowaday? Or should I go for unexpanded?

Markus
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
A well crafted expanded shell with matching coins is a great, and less expensive way to go.
The only poor expanded shell I have purchased is a Tango half dollar. The relief after the expansion was terrible. This was a couple of years ago, and I have heard that he does a better job now.

I have many Lassen Expanded Shell sets, and a Johnson expanded half. They all work fine for Shell work. The Lassen sets are the Bomb when it comes to uniqueness and fit, but the Johnson shell works just fine.

Either Expanded or "Dean's" style will serve you well. I would start with Expanded, and if it doesn't fit your needs, sell it and get an unexpanded set.

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing a Auke Van Dokkum set, so can't comment on it.

Best of luck in your quest!

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
What is the difference between an expanded shell and Dean's style?
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Sent you a PM.
Sammy J. Teague
Koldo
View Profile
New user
Spain
16 Posts

Profile of Koldo
I have Auke Van Dokkum's Eisenhower set and a morgan "dean" set. Both are great. I have also a Oxf Walking Liberty from schoocraft.
The Eisenhower set's [ doesn't go all the way down the edge, it goes downer than the schoocraft and johnson [ I have. Don't understand me wrong. Schoocraft Oxf is great, but Auke's Eisenhower [ is better (at least the one I own)

For the price of this set and knowing your are "new" on working with [ this set will work perfect for practice coinone or any routine involving a [

You will have enough time after getting comfortable with this set to think about what to buy next. I highly recommend "Dean's set" of any craftsman you like. The face of the [ looks the same of the other coins of the set, zero distortion, and edge work... you can't almost say witch is the coin and witch is the [

Best, Koldo
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Koldo,

welcome to the Café my friend!!!!! It was great seeing you in Spain last month, and hope to you share some of your wisdom with us here around this forum!!!!

your friend,

Eric
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Quote:
On 2011-02-06 10:59, Koldo wrote:
I have Auke Van Dokkum's Eisenhower set and a morgan "dean" set. Both are great. I have also a Oxf Walking Liberty from schoocraft.
The Eisenhower set's [ doesn't go all the way down the edge, it goes downer than the schoocraft and johnson [ I have. Don't understand me wrong. Schoocraft Oxf is great, but Auke's Eisenhower [ is better (at least the one I own)

For the price of this set and knowing your are "new" on working with [ this set will work perfect for practice coinone or any routine involving a [

You will have enough time after getting comfortable with this set to think about what to buy next. I highly recommend "Dean's set" of any craftsman you like. The face of the [ looks the same of the other coins of the set, zero distortion, and edge work... you can't almost say witch is the coin and witch is the [

Best, Koldo

That was very helpful! Thank you very very much! I am glad you found this thread. I will buy the set now and let you guys know what I think about it as soon as it arrives. Thanks for all the help int his thread! So many nice and helpful people here on the board!

p.s. A [ is best kept over a coin the whole time, in order to prevent damage or bending, correct? SO whenever I have the [ in a purse of laying around/not using it, then I will put it over a coin. Or is there a better way?

Thanks
Markus
Koldo
View Profile
New user
Spain
16 Posts

Profile of Koldo
Eric,

Thank you!! It's great to be received like so. It was great sharing with you too. My wisdom it's not as big as I wish to. I just love reading everything I can and watch all the magic I can.
Even if I made my first steps in magic when I was 13 or 14 (I just "learn" doing the pass and a VERY basic double lift) It was not until 3 years ago when I resumed magic and I started to learn card & coin magic foundations.

I will be happy sharing some thoughts and ideas with folk here.
sal
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of sal
Memory-Jah
I personally do not own this set ,but a friend that I session with does and he loves it , I have had the opportunity to play with them and they will not disappoint. Have fun!!!
Sal
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Just a quick note...I have the Johnson Products Expanded Ike Shell, and paid $60 for it. It is perfect, and is practically indetectible in use. The Auke Van Dokkum set with DVD is a great value, though! And Stephens is great to do business with! Smile

Doug
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
If you're looking for one, I have a new/unopened set (shell, DVD, and four matching Ike dollars) for sale for $60, shipped in the US. PM me if interested.

Thanks,

Bob Phillips
mago.niko
View Profile
Loyal user
Athens, Greece
286 Posts

Profile of mago.niko
IKE dollars and Eisenhower are the same coins??
Excuse me if this is a stupid question ( Smile ) but I'm not a US citizen..
Searching for the magic side of life...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Yes. President Eisenhower's nickname was "IKE".
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
mago.niko
View Profile
Loyal user
Athens, Greece
286 Posts

Profile of mago.niko
Thank you very much for the information..
Searching for the magic side of life...
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
The van Dokkum set is great - as is all of Auke's work.

Fortasse
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Anyone have an email for Auke?
Joni River
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Joni River
You can contact him at http://www.cupsandballs.nl.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
This a great unexpanded set of coin's
I have 2 set's of these.
Todd
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Quote:
On 2011-03-13 21:07, fortasse wrote:
The van Dokkum set is great - as is all of Auke's work.

Fortasse

Agreed! I own this set and it's very good; beautiful fit!
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
lukecloughmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of lukecloughmagic
I've got a set of these, they're great but slightly to large for my hands so looking to sell them, pm me if you's like some more info and pics Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Eisenhower Dollars And Shell (Auke Van Dokkum) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL