The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Have you ever done business via Skype? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I don’t like Skype and don’t have a Skype account. Am I missing out?
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Kristen did a live video interview for Headline News via Skype. Some other news outlets also use it for live remote interviews. Overall we have probably only used it 5 times.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
RichardShure
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of RichardShure
I have also used a Skype a handful of times. Once a committee wanted to talk with me before hiring..and Skype worked out great for that. I was also interviewed for a local TV station over Skype. There have also been a couple of other times for various reasons.

The question, Ken, is why do you not like it??? It is a powerful tool.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I work in other countries for as much as 8 months a year. If you have a Skype account it makes communication via phone very affordable. I mean maybe a few cents a minute affordable. The quality is as good as any cell phone you have, and it makes meetings pretty easy as well. If all parties involved have Skype accounts, it is absolutely free. It is far easier to confrence people on Skype than it is on a phone, plus you can send information via text and such and send web links directly through Skype.

It all depends on your type of business. If you are mostly in one area and have no need for worldwide contact, then perhaps Skype might not be such a big dealio. All I know is between Skype, and Vonnage, I can run a business from anywhere in the world that has an internet connection.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Living abroad I find Skype to be fantastic. I don't know what there is to not like about it. I can communicate with my parents for free, face to face. I can call home for pennies (I bought $10 of credit for phone calls six months ago and still have $3.50 left.)

I also think it's a great business tool. Tony Clark and Michael Vincent are two of the guys I know who offer lessons via Skype. It's a brilliant way to do business in any country without having to actually go there.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I use Skype Pro. I pay 36.00 a year and I can call anywhere in North America for free. I use it when I need to call out of town clients.
I also stay in touch with friends around the world on Skype via video chats.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I don’t like Skype because I’m not a good talker. I prefer doing business by web site and email, when I can choose my words more carefully. I tend to favor this in my performing style as well. My show is scripted and, as they say, even my ad-libs are well rehearsed.

However, if you all told me I’m missing the boat by not using Skype, then I would become a Skype expert real quick! So far, it seems like many of you like Skype but have not found it to be necessary. Is that about right?

FYI 99% of my business is for family audiences within a 100 mile radius.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
RichardShure
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of RichardShure
Ken,
I would say our analysis is correct. It has not been necessary, however it has opened doors for me.

If you are only doing family shows within a 100 mile radius then I would say that it most likely would not be something that you will need.

Interesting that just recently I was at a conference where this very subject came up, Social media technologies for doing business. Skype was one of the things that was discussed. It would seem that if you are working across the country and internationally then Skype is something that you need in your tool box. If you are working locally not so much.
Cesar Munoz
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Cesar Munoz
Ken,

It can be useful for free or almost free calls/video calls. It's also great for instant messaging. But if you don't have a specific need for it--then you're not missing anything.

Cesar
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Have you ever done business via Skype? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL