The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Thru a 1 inch hole...thoughts and ideas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
coachc
View Profile
Regular user
WV
130 Posts

Profile of coachc
What are your ideas on this illusion as far as performance.....comedy, serious, different etc.
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
It's a GREAT piece but it's a talking piece! I used to do this and it just puzzled and baffled people to no end on how the girl could end up inside the trunk. A real head thumper but don't think that you can do it without saying a word as I think it will fail horribly if you do.

Just my thoughts on it quickly!

Will
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
Oh, yes. Definitely a talking piece.

Harbin could have presented the HECK out of it.
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
hocuspocusjay23
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of hocuspocusjay23
I have always liked this Illusion. I have never performed it, however not ever magician is doing it. It is hard to find good Illusions that not everyone is doing.
majik_1
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of majik_1
Is there a video anywhere of this Illusion?
Magic Tad
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Magic Tad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtfaPiSD5g4
Fred Walker does a nice job here(Fredwalker721)
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2573 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I have a problem with this one box version of this illusion in that it doesn't have have a believable premise.

Now that might sound an odd notion as all illusions create the appearance of the unbelievable happening in some way. But with this effect I believe the audience knows that something else is going on. At no point is there any suspension of disbelief. This leaves any presentaion of the effect built on nothing and gives the whole effect a hollowness to it.

With most other illusions you tend to 'see' what is claimed to be the effect actually happening. Swords going through boxes, assistants being stretched, compressed, impaled, levitated, penertrated, etc.

Without the inclusion of this element the effect comes across as vacuous to me.

The two barrels version of this illusion (with the metal bars and target with the 1 inch hole) doesn't have these problems to the same degree and is consequently, in my opinion, a much stronger starting point for the premise of this effect.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Hey, that's a very interesting point. It actually could be extended to some other illusions aswell, such as the Milk Can Escape. I recenly saw this very cheesy guy on TV claiming that it [the milk can] was, to quote his words, "A mixture of escape and apnea". Riiiight. Then why was the can covered with a ludicrously large round curtain during 7 of the 8 minutes that it took him to perform the escape?
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Ben Pratt
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Ben Pratt
Doesn't Andrew Mayne have a written version of this illusion somewhere? I think he uses the hole of a CD to have the girl pass through. Cool stuff...
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Yeah, but CD's are so 90's now. I'd build it so one would pass through an iTUnes gift card Smile
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Ben Pratt
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Ben Pratt
There ya go! I'm sure with a little bit of thinking, you could come up with something Smile
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2011-02-13 05:42, Sealegs wrote:
I have a problem with this one box version of this illusion in that it doesn't have have a believable premise.

Now that might sound an odd notion as all illusions create the appearance of the unbelievable happening in some way. But with this effect I believe the audience knows that something else is going on. At no point is there any suspension of disbelief. This leaves any presentation of the effect built on nothing and gives the whole effect a hollowness to it.

With most other illusions you tend to 'see' what is claimed to be the effect actually happening. Swords going through boxes, assistants being stretched, compressed, impaled, levitated, penetrated, etc.
[..]

I can only guess that you would have the same complaint about Metamorphosis, Houdini's Water Torture Cell Escape (for that matter, most escapes), typical Spirit Cabinet routines, etc. However, all of these illusions (and other "covered-action" effects) do seem to have stood the test of time.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
@Thomas

From what I understood Sealegs' post, I think he meant that this Illusion doesn't feel like smething magical is going on. Take Copperfield's Coccoon Illusion, for example: One could swear his hair turned blonde before the rest of his body morphed into a woman's! As for the Water Torture Cell, I somewhat agree to you, but it carries an extra factor here: Drama. It builds higher and higher and all of a sudden everyone goes "Whaaaaat?".
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2011-02-13 18:58, Fábio DeRose wrote:
@Thomas

From what I understood Sealegs' post, I think he meant that this Illusion doesn't feel like smething magical is going on. Take Copperfield's Coccoon Illusion, for example: One could swear his hair turned blonde before the rest of his body morphed into a woman's! As for the Water Torture Cell, I somewhat agree to you, but it carries an extra factor here: Drama. It builds higher and higher and all of a sudden everyone goes "Whaaaaat?".

Well, I thought the suspense and sense of drama among the audience [of that video] was rather palpable during the time the magician was fumbling around with the keys and locks and all. It seemed obvious to me that a good number of them were almost holding their breath, waiting to see if the girl was actually IN the box(!)

And, theatrically speaking, having the climax [of the girl being revealed inside the box (and apparently still tied to the end of the rope)] so close to the conclusion might be considered far preferable to some of the illusions "Sealegs" seems to hold in such high esteem.

At least, that's how I see it.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
Build the box out of clear acrylic. Curtain drops and there she is inside! Visibility problem solved.
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
447 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Quote:
On 2011-02-14 17:06, David Charvet wrote:
Build the box out of clear acrylic. Curtain drops and there she is inside! Visibility problem solved.

That's what I did- sort of. My version was built to fit a certain theme, so it was built with a semi clear front panel. The problem is that I always just felt that the clear panel, even though it's been examined up close by an audience member, never quite gave the same "solid and secure" feeling that the other solid sides of the box did. I generally got the sense that the audience simply believed that the front was hinged somehow, and when the curtain went up, that's how she made her entrance into the box. Now, I know that the audience CAN be made to believe that a clear glass panel is as impenetrable as steel, as is the case with the various "walking through glass" illusions out there (I'm working on one now). Still, I just felt that having a clear front somehow took away from the illusion. Good luck!

Phil
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2573 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Thomas wrote;
Quote:
I can only guess that you would have the same complaint about Metamorphosis, Houdini's Water Torture Cell Escape (for that matter, most escapes), typical Spirit Cabinet routines, etc. However, all of these illusions (and other "covered-action" effects) do seem to have stood the test of time.

Well I agree with Thomas when he says that the illusions have stood the test of time but I would suggest that the premises that were originally sold to the audience and on which the illusions were originally based have not.

The original premises that were capable of producing a suspension of disbelief in the !9th and early 20th Centuries have had to change as the audience over the years has become, relatively, more sophisticated and knowledgeable of the world at large.

The metamorphosis was originally sold to the audience as being a dematerialization. This just isn't a viable sell anymore. That is why illusionists over the years have created ways to reduce the amount of time that any cover is needed. They have done this as a response to the need to change the premise on which the illusion is based.

The illusion has stood the test of time only because the premise that it is being sold to the audience has remained viable by changing.

And so escapes that take place behind some type of screen are undoubtably at a disadvantage over those that take place such that the audience feels that they are in view. So Illusionist/escapologists go to lengths to try and make escapes that require some kind of cover more open. Such as having the cloth on a water tank escape lifted half way through to show that the magician is still there, and battling away.... or arms or hands visible through the sides of a cabinet.

The spirit cabinet, at first glance looks to be unchanged, it is an anachronism for sure. However it is invariably presented as such. In latter years it was presented as a manifestation of the spirits. Now it is presented as a fascinating mystery of how performers in the 19th century would have made it look as if spirits were being manifested. This is a premise that a 21st Century audience can get behind.

I'm all for suspence and drama but again it has to be believable and be within an audiences abitity to suspend their disbelief. No longer can a performer remain behind a screen for tens of minutes. That's just not believable anymore. That doesn't mean drama and suspence are no longer possible it just means that the way these states are created has to change.

The premise of passing through a one inch hole, behind a large cloth, isn't, in my opinion, one that lends itself to creating a suspension of disbelief. I think this also explains why it rarely makes it onto illusionists' programs. In fact it is seen so rarely that one could say this is one illusion that hasn't sood the test of time. Perhaps someone coming up with a better premise is a prerequisite before this illusion sees a resurgence in popularilty among performers and audiences.
Neal Austin

semo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Jose, CA
300 Posts

Profile of semo
Sealegs, JC Sum's version of this illusion (deemed Impassable) seems to have done exactly what you suggest in your post...bringing it to the next level with speed, removing the rope concept and allowing a view of the arm through the hole as proof of the penetration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN5C-xE_VTs&feature=related
Scott Emo, co-creator of Fenced In Illusion - There's nothing better than breaking free!

And creator of Sacred - The Child Conjuring Illusion - Because there is nothing more magical than the creation of a child.

Find them at: http://www.masterofillusions.ca/
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1221 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Now there is proof that it is the performance and not the prop which makes the effect. The first video fell completely flat on me, however the second video was "magic!"
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2573 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Thanks for posting that semo, I think this video neatly illustrates the points I made in my earlier posts.

This illusion is so much more effective because it's sold as a, 'watch-how-impossibly-fast-this-women-gets-inside-this-locked-shut-box' illusion.

This is a believable premise. The illusion's emphasis has changed from how did she get in through that small hole to how did she get in that locked box so fast.

The comment that the illusionist makes about passing through the 3" hole is made as a cute remark rather than as a premise on which we the audience are supposed to believe is happening. The hole is now 3" rather than 1" as it now serves a completely different fuction. It no longer serves as a lame rationale for the effect. It now serves the function of letting us see the woman inside the box.

In fact this effect could be performed without even mentioning passing through the hole and nothing would be lost other than a cute remark.

It has effectively become a different effect and I expect that this effect will become progressively more impressive as new ways are introduced to reduce the cover time even more.
Neal Austin

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Thru a 1 inch hole...thoughts and ideas (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL