The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » PBS Local TV Kid Shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
PBS is airing a series on the pioneers of television with an episode on local kids shows tomorrow, Tues, Feb 8th.

Check your local listings.

http://www.pbs.org/opb/pioneersoftelevis......kids-tv/

Has anybody here been inspired by a local TV kidshow? Have any of us ever had or wanted to have a local kids TV show? Are any of you doing a kids web show?
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
1 word for you: MAGICLAND.

There are probably hundreds of magicians who lived in or near the Memphis, Tennessee area who were influenced by Mr. Magic, himself, Dick Williams. He still holds the world's record for longest running TV magic show.

Steve
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I do what I do today largely due to early TV kidshow hosts Barnaby (Lynn Sheldon/Cleveland), Captain Penny (Ron Penfound/Cleveland), Flippo (Bob Marvin/Columbus), Buffalo Bob (Bob Smith/Howdy Doody) and Mr. Rogers (Fred Rogers). When they spoke on the television, they were speaking directly to me. When I met them all in person (except for Flippo, who frankly was an ass off screen) they took the time to treat each fan, young and old, as true VIPs. They inspired the character I draw upon today.

Because of them, my professional goal has always been to create a character and shows that kept this "Every Child Matters" concept alive. I truly miss these interactive show hosts and I believe our younger children today are missing out on a great self esteem builder.

I have the Pioneers of Television series on DVD and watch it often. I've carried it to Red Nose twice, but we've never found the free time to enjoy it. Maybe next year...
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
We had Sally Starr and Gene London in the South Jersey/Philly market when I was a kid.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I remember JamesinLA (who used to be in PA) Smile I met Sally Starr several years ago dressed in her cowgirl hat a spandex pants. Smile Do you remember Dr. Shock? He did magic tricks on local (Philly) TV during breaks in movies back in the 70's.

I'm embarrassed to say I did not know much about Dick and Virginia Williams and their success. I'd be grateful if you all would continue to share your memeories of local TV Magic shows for children.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
If my memory is working this afternoon, I met the Williams during a trip to Wichita Kansas. Nice people.

Will check out your lead on the 9th...thanks...

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Mr. Williams wrote and incredible book about his experience in television and how to do it ourselves. It's called Lights! Camera! Magic! It's an excellent read.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
BIGmagiclV
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of BIGmagiclV
I appeared on the Captain Kangaroo show as a cub scout way back in the day. They treated us very well and I believe that helped me in wanting to entertain.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
One of my favorite shows as a kid was Bill Nye the Science Guy and The Electric Company. Lots of cool stuff on both of those shows...they both helped spark my creative juices.

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Chuck Lyons
View Profile
Loyal user
Channahon, IL
264 Posts

Profile of Chuck Lyons
Growing up 50 miles south of Chicago, we had the mecca of childrens programs Ray Rayner, Garfield Goose Bob Bells Bozo, BJ and dirty dragon. Yes I wanted to have my own show. In my teens I met rayner, Roy brown, Narshall brodien, Buffolo Bob Smith and Even Clayton Moore, I found them all to ve very nice people who took time for those who appreciated them. I do that today . I had a hand in a cable show once in Ohio but politics ended it much to soon. Those guys are why I do what I do today. Thanks for the update.
jcmazzolado
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of jcmazzolado
Don't forget Wonderama - Bob McAllister was the host from 1967 -1977.
Bob was a great magician and friend to many in the northeast.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Years after his show was canceled, Gene London appeared at a small local carneval at our church. He was tall slim and had great charisma. We were probably 18 at the time, but he had star quality for us because of our past.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
Just set the DVR to record,
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
As a child, my wife used to watch the "Dr. Max" show (WMT in Cedar Rapids, Iowa) which featured Mombo the Clown, who did magic. As adults, I became friends with Fred Petric, who was Mombo. He was truly a one-of-a kind, a gentleman who is sorely missed.

http://www.iptv.org/kids/story.cfm/video......ip/video
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I was inspired to be a ventriloquist and magician by a local show called "Pete's Place" with Peter Rolston.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » PBS Local TV Kid Shows (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL