We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » How well prepared are YOU? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6581 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Want to know how to do impromptu magic in a fun and entertaining way?
Four words:

1) Jay
2) Marshall's
3) "Table
4) Crap"
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
English Penny and Irish Punt are alway in my pocket. I don't leave home without them.
Unless I'v gotten really thirsty, I'll always have some quarters on me for manipulation as well.
Occasionally I'll carry a few other items.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
E-Leoni
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
358 Posts

Profile of E-Leoni
Thats the great thing about "cold reading"
it's always on you, and a paper and pencil can always be found.

E-Leoni.
Magnus Maccormack
View Profile
New user
Calgary, Canada
67 Posts

Profile of Magnus Maccormack
Quote:
On 2002-04-21 06:13, David Smyth wrote:
I was just thinking. How well prepared are you? I mean, do you always carry a deck of cards around with you? A special wallet? A certain gimmick? Just in case that person asks you to show them a trick? What do you usually carry around with you?

Thanks,

I feel absolutely lost if I don't have my card wallet (8 packet tricks), coin purse, ITR and a TT with a silk wrapped around it.

Pack small, play big... Smile
Magic Tim
View Profile
New user
Texas
40 Posts

Profile of Magic Tim
I can appreciate the approach that leaves all the props and gimmicks at home, but because I haven't gone to the trouble to learn a lot of truly impromptu effects, I currently rely on having some stuff stashed on my person...

I sometimes carry Gregory Wilson's 'Dishonest Abe' in my pockets, and usually have on hand a Scotch & Soda or Johnson's 'Two Copper and Silver' (a dynamite effect that requires no bang ring to reset), and a deck of cards--sometimes with a gimmicked card in place.

There's certainly something to be said for being able to do truly impromptu magic. On the other hand, whether something appears 'impromptu' to the spectator has much more to do with the performer's presentation (particularly his method of introduction) than with where the props actually came from.

Regards,
Tim Smile
http://www.timwallacemagic.com

“I find your lack of faith disturbing.” -- Darth Vader
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
It's gotten to the point where people expect me to have a deck of cards at all times. And just who am I to disappoint them? Smile

Beyond that, I also carry a tried and true hot rod. This combination lets me do a couple of tricks at any time. Keep it simple.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
bdormer
View Profile
New user
Maryland, USA
49 Posts

Profile of bdormer
I usually don't travel with alot of "magic gear" on me.

I once kept my kids (and a few others) amused at McD's with some wadded up napkins and a couple paper cups. Penn & Teller do cups and balls with plastic cups and tinfoil - I figured it couldn't be worse than fidgety, complaining kids... Lo and behold - it actually worked. I also ended up using a straw as a magic-wand (I needed some mis-direction). Of course, I didn't have much of a "big finsh" as I didn't have time to make "extra large" balls or anything. I had to settle for vanshing one of the kids happy-meal toys - fooling around so he'd forget that I had it, then make it appear under the center cup.

And I do sleight-of-hand vanishes and productions of all kinds of objects (rings, coins, keys) all the time. Keeps those boring meetings at work from being a total waste of time.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6160 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Although I have a mental arsenal of dozens of truly impromptu effects, I usually leave the house with a pack of cards that contain an extra four or five that have a different colored back... for Chicago opener or Bizarre Twist. One DB for non-palm card to wallet. TT with a mismade bill in it. I always wear my Watch & Wear. And, of course, I'm always ready to do key bending, spoon bending, coin bending and some watch stopping.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Quote:
On 2002-05-07 18:40, Magique Hands wrote:
I am with Scott on this issue. As a rule, magician's should be able to do 'magic' with just about anything and everything.

I think it a little odd, or 'un-natural' for a magician to be pulling sponge balls, hot rods, card decks, strange looking props and the like... out of their pockets, just to show a few magic effects.
- - Troy

I agree. Too many props just seem like props. Coin magic requires no gimmicks and money keeps their attention.

I do, however carry a color changing knife set with me. I use a custom set made for me by Joe Mogar. Looks exactly what a pocket knife should look like. (I used to carry the old, Merrill knives with me, but, I've got to say, the Mogar knives with the stag handles look much more like what a pen knife should look like.)

Another prop I carry is a marble. Yep, a marble. A yellow marble. I pull it out with all my change and pocket lint and my knife. I sort of just dump my pocket contents onto the table, and start playing with stuff that "happens" to be there, a coin or two, a key, the marble, the knife...

If you are squeamish (or moralistic), don't read further:

I'd love to include a condom in the batch of stuff that I dump out of my pocket, but can't think of a trick to do with it.... (gosh, maybe that explains my mood recently!) I am serious.... maybe a color-changing condom packet? Floating condom? Flaming condom? Torn and restored condom? Any ideas?
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6160 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Actually, J.D., many years ago I used to do Sankey's Airtight with a condom. I had some patter about performing safe magic and I didn't know who touched my "deck" last. I can't remember the make, but I do remember it worked best with one particular type of condom because the others tended to tear when I inserted my... hmmm, deck.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
THOR
View Profile
New user
No. California
69 Posts

Profile of THOR
Here is the stuff in my wallet:

A loop -- I don't keep it on my wrist because it breaks too easily. I usually borrow a fork and do some serious PK on it, although recently I used it do to a version of Banachek's PK touches.

A dollar gimmicked to do the $1 to $5 transposition.

Kollosal Killer ( I actually do this with 2 wallets)

The stuff to do Anders' Healed and Sealed.

4 business cards to do Larry Becker's Sneak Thief (but I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet!)

All fun stuff.
kou
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of kou
A great impromptu effect is Richard Busch's "A Coin In Mind" in Peek Performances. All you need is some pocket change.

Another great resource is Banachek's
"Psychological Subtleties" -- psychological forces can be done anywhere, anytime, with literally no props. (And make for some great effect, with the right presentation).

Take care,
kou
PMVIVA
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
460 Posts

Profile of PMVIVA
When I go out to the street I ever carry with me a deck of cards, four half dollar coins and a okito coin box, becouse in spite of somebody asked me to do a trick I can practise card magic while I'm sitting on the bus, or while I'm walking, maybe if I am walking down the street with a deck of cards in my hands performing classic passes, color changes, the people comes to me and ask me questions like "Are you a magician? Can you do a magic trick?" and I have everything I need to do magic, I have coins, cards, also I have the okito coin box that allows me to do coins thru hand.
If you have an apple and I have an apple, when we exchange them we both have an apple. If I have an idea and you haven an idea, when we exchange them we both have two ideas.

Supporting the open source community.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Check out Gardner's Encyclopedia of Impromtu (Magic)

It is filled with oldies but many goldies.

Harris Smile
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
561 Posts

Profile of phonic69
I use my Pat Page card to Wallet as a normal wallet, and so I am always ready to perform a miricle (it doesn't have to be a CARD to wallet, it can be a buisness card al la Gary Kurtz). I usually have a deck of cards around, and I have a double folding 50p in the wallet.

That does me just fine!

Smile
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Quote:
On 2002-04-21 06:13, David Smyth wrote:
I was just thinking. How well prepared are you? I mean, do you always carry a deck of cards around with you? A special wallet? A certain gimmick? Just in case that person asks you to show them a trick? What do you usually carry around with you?

Thanks,

"if you can't do it all, do what you can" I do not consider myself a close-up magician, I perfer working up on stage with large props. but I always carry a rubber band and a coin with me where ever I go. rubber bands and coins are to ordinary for people to think gimmicked. the coin roll, the broken and restored rubber band and the jumping rubber band are the best impromptu tricks I can do.
(since coins are so ordinary, if you have the bite-out coin, carry it with you!)
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Bendy
View Profile
Elite user
Winter Garden, Florida
491 Posts

Profile of Bendy
I never leave home without a TT and a paddle trick of some sort, (the Hot Rod Pen and The No. 2 Pencil are great and are common items above suspicion).

In addition to the TT, I sometimes carry a Mis-Made Bill, a few links of chain...some linked and some unlinked for, well, a chain link linking effect. I like to carry Jay Sankey's Holy Moly on a fairly regular basis, too. These things fit in my pocket without being too bulky. But above and beyond anything else, and when I'm carrying nothing else, I will have my TT. Never leave home without it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » How well prepared are YOU? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL