The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Mismade Help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicalMotivator
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of MagicalMotivator
Greetings!

I have a Mismade Illusion that I had built by some professional carps and painter. It's about 20 years old and still in great shape and works quite well, from Osborne plans (and a little A K Brill thrown in). The bottom box still uses a cloth and 2 separate (). Most dancers have no problem picking this up. Others, well it can take a while and it still is challenging. I have been (finally after all this time) looking at modifying and streamlining this operation. I have a number of ideas, but I am looking for some feedback here from someone with perhaps similar experience. Obviously, I don't want to reveal too much here. But any feedback would be most appreciated.

Magically yours,
Rick Rossini The Magical Motivator
www.rossinimagic.com
www.magicalmotivator.com
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1400 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I used a Paul Osborne mismade many years ago in his park shows and we had all the same issues. One assistant had done the illusion the year before in a different park and couldn't remember how she positioned herself. We all sat down during rehearsal and just figured it out. It took about 20 min. and then another 5-6 runs to get her speed to match the music. My "backup/day off" assistant picked it up but had to find a different position because her legs were longer.

I wish I could tell you that's there's a universal easier solution but in most illusions I've owned every assistant has a favorite position in most every prop, including what's going to be best for her feet not to "fall asleep" which has happened!

Best of luck!
MagicalMotivator
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of MagicalMotivator
Makeupguy,

Thanks for your response. I know exactly what you are talking about as I have done this with many different dancers over the years. We ended up making some cuts / modifications to accommodate different girls. What I am trying to pursue is to make the "things" into a "thing" that can pivot, hinge, drop, fold, etc. into place to simplify the operation and learning curve. I have even looked at making the bottom into a 2nd or 3rd box operation and use choreography to make the routine happen. I am just exploring as many options as possible before picking up the hammer and saw.

Again, thanks so much for your help.
Rick Rossini The Magical Motivator
www.rossinimagic.com
www.magicalmotivator.com
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
881 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
MagicalMotivator

PM me and I can describe a solution that I have used before. Personally I like the method from the Osborne plans, and that was always our preferred approach, but I have used a single unit gaff before.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Mismade Help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL