The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Transposition effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

davidlai308
View Profile
Veteran user
Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia
376 Posts

Profile of davidlai308
Hi guys ,
I would really appreciate some help in this sector .
I'm currently in charge in producing a theater show and in one scene there is a transposition effect where a small kid changes into his adult form .

The idea behind this is to not do it `magically ' , rather to do it unsuspectingly .

The idea that came up was to have the small kid walk past a cover and the adult come up after . We ended up with a Double Production Frame . The boy walk passes the frame and the adult appears , the kid vanishes . Subtle .

To give a rough idea , the boy will be singing , he walks past/through the production frame a few times and after the 2nd walk through , the adult continues the note and the boy vanishes .

Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated . The main essence is that I don't want to be presenting this as an `expected ' ( where a cloth rises and so forth ) trick .

Best,
David
An entrepreneur by day , a magician by night . Satiate my mind & you've won my heart .
www.superhumanz.online
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Hey David, this sounds cool! If its gonna be a musical of some sort, here's a little idea, the boy sings as he's hanging sheets over a clothes line. Kinda like doing the laundry. He throws a sheet big enough to cover his frame and this drapes over to the floor. he steps behind the frame and picks up the sheet, folding it in two so it doesn't touch the floor no more and places it on the line too. The audience sees his feet. Then, the adult character walks to the front.

For a subtlety, the voice only changes when the adult actor/singer is seen in full view.
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
881 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
What is the show, and what is the setting of the scene? These would be the first places to look for clues as to a means of presenting the effect. Also the phrasing of the music will steer the manner of presentation.

In The Lion King Simba "grows up" during Hakuna Matata. As I remember it, young Simba simply strolls off stage in silhouette. Pumba and Timon remain onstage, chanting "Hakuna Matata" as the music builds. Older Simba swings in on a vine and lands singing right at the key-change and the lights bump to full. (You can see the German cast performance of it here.) That's just one way to accomplish such an effect.

But really you need to seamlessly integrate ALL the elements on stage to work together. Don't just superimpose an effect onto the scene, it must be an organic part of the scene.

If you can give us more of the specific details of the scene we might be able to come up with specific ideas for you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Transposition effect (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL