The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » My big fat gypsy wedding (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I'm with George on this one.
On Saturday a traveller, Willie Casey, from a caravan site in Limerick, will be fighting for the world super-bantamweight title. The whole country will unite behind him, because we have moved on from the primitive racism of less civilised times. Views like Russell's might have been common in the seventies, but the rest of us have moved on. Shame he hasn't.
In the seventies it was common to see signs in boarding houses saying: "No blacks, no dogs, no Irish." Does he want us to return to that?
sleight king
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of sleight king
TonyB2009 - You are over reacting. Russell is stating an opinion and is allowed to do so.
Personally I pick very carefully who I work for based on a number of things, but this doesn't make me a racist!
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Tony, there were 20 shillings in a pound Sterling, if I'm not mistaken....otherwise your story is as usual, fascinating and informative.
Russell's opinion is that "one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel"....this is today considered to be an oafish and ignorant way of perceiving cultures and societies. Although there is a grain of truth in the senitment, it's absurdly generalising about people's personalities.
Of course, (playing the Devil's advocate), you could look at Hitler and Nazi Germany......
or, you could consider the Americans' perception of Russian folk in the 70s......or the Americans' perception of Muslims today.......etc
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Potty, both you and Tony are wrong (I think). Back in the seventies weren't there 24 shillings to the pound, and 25 to the guinea? That was pre-decimilisation.
Sleight King, I don't believe I am over-reacting. It is not possible to over-react to racism. If he made those remarks about coloured people, Jews, Muslims, or gays we would all be reacting as I am. Russell was not just stating an opinion, he was condemning an entire race in a highly offensive way.
Like most Irish people above a certain age I have experienced the racism of the British. I believed it had died out. Thankfully most British people don't share the racist views of guys like Russell. But some still do, so there is still a problem. And I will continue reacting to that problem.
Its a short enough step from this to electing National Front candidates.
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
Maths never was my strong point but yes Doug, you re correct.

12 pence = 1 shilling

20 shillings = £1

240 pence = £1

£1. I shilling = I guinea.

The guinea came about as a consequence of £1 gold coins - known always as sovereigns - were found to contain gold whose face value was £1. 1 shilling - due to international gold prices having risen. So those sovereigns were designated as guineas and the guinea persisted till 1970.

professions were paid in guineas and professional entertainers charged in guineas - the extra shillings paid for the fuel costs.

To this day racehorses are bought and sold in guineas and horse race prize money is in guineas.

Long may it continue.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Tony, do you remember the 10 shilling note? That was half a quid. Which makes 20 shillings to the pound, and there were 21 shillings in a guinea. There were however, 12 pennies in a shilling, a farthing was a quarter of a penny, then we had the ha'penny (half a penny), a crown (five shillings), a half crown (two and a half shillings), a Florin (two shillings), and a "thruppence" - possibly the cutest coin ever, with 11 sides I think, which was three pennies. There were 240 pennies to a pound.
When decimalisation happened in '71, folks were totally confused by the "new money". Having just 100 pence in the pound seemed outrageous, and many people believed it simply would never catch on, it was SO confusing. He he.
Quoted from THIS page on Wikipedia about the shilling... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shilling

"The United KingdomThe common currency created in 1707 by Article 16 of the Articles of Union continued in use until decimalisation in 1971. Before decimalisation, there were 20 shillings/pound and 12 pence/shilling, and thus 240 pence/pound. Two coins denominated in multiple shillings were also in circulation at this time. They were the florin, which adopted the value of 10 new pence (10p), and the crown (five shillings), the highest denominated non-bullion UK coin in circulation at decimalisation (in practice, crowns were commemorative coins not used in everyday transactions). The half crown had a value of 2/6. At decimalisation, the shilling coin was superseded by the new five-pence piece, which initially was of identical size and weight and had the same value, and inherited the shilling's slang name of a bob."
I think I'm old enough to remember, and still young enough not to get confused....
:)
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

I still remember trying to multiply prices - let's say £13/17/8d (thirteen pounds, seventeen shillings and eightpence) by 7. You had to multiply each part of the price, and then add them together. In this case, 7x13 pounds = 91 pounds, 7x 17 shillings = 119 shillings, and 7 x 8 pennies = 56 pennies. Then add them together: 56 pennies = 4 shillings and 8 pence; 119 shillings = 5 pounds and 19 shillings, plus the 91 pounds. Which gives 91 pounds plus 5 pounds and 19 shillings - 96 pounds and 19 shillings.....plus the 4 shillings and 8 pence, which gives 96 pounds, 23 shillings and 8 pence. But 23 shillings was one pound and three shillings, so this would become 97 pounds, 3 shillings and 8 pence. All this without including farthings, which were a quarter penny, and used to make the calcualations even more complicated. Try £15/19/8d and three-farthings multiplied by 9? Or, you could work in guineas, and suddenly your basic unit was 21 shillings instead of 20.....
Of course, you had to DIVIDE prices too, which was even MORE difficult.
I wonder if it was our ridiculously complicated monetary system that gave Brits the mental edge, and is the reason we produced so many great scientists and mathematicians?
;)
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2011-03-15 03:28, Potty the Pirate wrote:
I'm glad that I'm a Welsh/Scot, and have not a drop of english blood in me!

That's almost certainly not true! Smile The great thing about being from these islands is that "your blood" is from several places. We've been invaded so many times I doubt if there is anybody of who is not of mixed origins.

What is "English" anyway? Most English are considered of Ango-Saxon origin - which actually makes us German!

Mark
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I'm pretty certain I'm 100% tigerblood.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-03-16 05:41, magicgeorge wrote:
I'm pretty certain I'm 100% tigerblood.

George, I think you're 100% clown blood. Maybe it was a circus tiger?
:)
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
Have you any Fossetts in your family George? Anyone with red hair?

Or maybe a Duffy or two?
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
mr shiney
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of mr shiney
I was doing a show at a family pud when a group of gypsy's came ( they had cut the padlock to the gate of the car park and moved on the land for the night)
About 10 kids came in and stared to jion in with the partie games (I did not know they were gypsy's) I sat the group down for a game of pass the parcel gave the parcel to a girl about 7 she riped it up grabed the prize and ran off! Then 3 other kids went on the stage grabed sweets and run of the the adluts at the back had stared kicking off and smahing glasses starting fights and the police had to be call (nobody know at this time they were gypsy's)
Now I'm shure 95% of gypsy''s are good people but the ones that I meet that night were scum (What chance have them childern got when they think its ok to steal) and are the ones that give gypsy's a bad name and just like when you go to go do a party in a really ruff area 95% off the poeple that live there are great its just 5% of scum that spoil it for the rest.
It remind me of chris rock's famous comdy rutine.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri......E0&gl=GB

So I'm not racist when it comes to colour, nationality, culture,
But I am when it comes to the small % of scum on this earth
Best Job in the world

Mr Shiney
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Mr Shiney, a couple of bad eggs does not entitle anyone to condemn an entire race. If it did I could write off the British on the basis of Russell's racist ********. And we all know that would be irrational.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I just saw this article online. I'm at my "day job" (work), so I haven't even read the whole thing but it looks very interesting.
http://www.yorkvision.co.uk/features/my-......ejudice/

Also, having lots of reasons to decline a show is fine, but if one of those reasons is race that would, by definition, make you racist. Right?

I'm not sure if this is totally relevant or not (as far as I know I haven't had contact with travellers), but (in my limited experience):
I've noticed that people with very large immediate families and/or very close extended families tend to be rowdier than most, regardless of race. This can difficult to deal with if you are not used to it.

Also I've noticed that groups (racial, economic or other) who are disenfranchised and looked upon with mistrust and suspicion tend to be rowdy and aggressive toward outsiders. For obvious reasons.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Courtney you are right in both your observations. I, like a lot of other people, have had positive experiences with travellers when we remove the blinkers of prejudice.

I have also found that the children of the very wealthy tend to be rude and obnoxious. So, in general, do kids who were sent to private, fee paying, schools. However I do not dismiss the rich because of that. I just go into those shows with my eyes open, and ready for the reaction.

The difference between the rudeness of the rich and of travellers is that behind the veneer travellers are often the nicer of the two groups. But not always. Just like any other group you get the good and the bad. I wouldn't judge any group by one example. Which is why I still like English people, despite the racism of Russell Davidson.
knick23
View Profile
New user
Wales
83 Posts

Profile of knick23
It sounds like you've had a bad experience Russel, and it's fair enough to be upset, but how many travellers have you actually met? It's seems like you've had very limited (and negative) contact with these people, so it's fair to say you're largely ignorant of them, and ignorance tends to breed fear, and fear hate.

Growning up in Cardiff the majority of my contact with the English was with their Football and Rugby fans, so as a kid I tended to think that despite what I saw of the English on tv, the reality was that they were in fact all drunkards with purple faces who liked to urinate in dustbins. But now I'm older and I've come to realise that that is not always the case, many like to urinate in doorways and on shop-fronts also.

But seriously, I get where you're coming from, I just recommend that you meet some more Travellers and make an effort to understand them. Can anyone confidently say that an entire group of people are all 'bad'(note: CCFC excluded).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » My big fat gypsy wedding (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL