The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » The Best 10 Movies About Magic of All Time (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
HerraTaikuri
View Profile
New user
Helsinki, Finland
60 Posts

Profile of HerraTaikuri
And of to the videostore Smile though I have sometimes searched, I have nwver found many magic films. Thanks for the list.
Justin W
View Profile
Special user
Lawrence, KS
929 Posts

Profile of Justin W
Ha. Just goes to show how very little GOOD movies there have been made about magic.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
VERY happy to see The Prestige at the top of the list. I saw the Barker film and frankly, I felt Barker used performance magic as a convenience. He could have developed that aspect of the film's plot more fully, but then, Christopher Nolan had already done that some years later with The Prestige.

Sad thing is, MAGICIANS who play magicians in movies are REALLY bad. Ask David Copperfield about Terror Train. Smile

Shade was full of magicians, but, let's be honest, Stuart Townsend and Hal Holbrook were far more magical than Earl Nelson and R. Paul Wilson - although Wilson wasn't awful, he is no actor IMHO.

Some may argue that it is unfair to expect a magician to be on par with Hal Holbrook, and I would agree. That being said, if Robert-Houdin is RIGHT - and I believe he IS - then perhaps we are not doing our jobs as well as we should.

अहिंसा

Vlad
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
I enjoyed both the Prestige and the Illusionist.

And even though it's not that accurate, I always liked Houdini.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
"Is Anybody There" starring Michael Caine is particularly poignant.
tjo'
Roland
View Profile
New user
Arizona
37 Posts

Profile of Roland
Here's another take on the greatest magic movies of all time... https://www.carnivalofillusion.com/best-......time.php
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
There's not a lot out there is there? Good that Prestige made both lists. One that might get overlooked that I liked was "Sleight". Some in the Café didn't like it because of suggestions of super powers; but I thought there was some good old fashioned magic (yes, even cards and coins) in there which was coached by Eric Jones. And the homage to Houdini was an underlying theme throughout. Lynn
chrisgali
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of chrisgali
Now you see me was ok, some cool card sleights.
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
320 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
What, no love for "Burt Wonderstone" starring Steve Carrell?

Ok for those wondering, yes I am kidding! One of the worst turds of a movie, magic or otherwise, that you could waste your money on. How in the world did they get him to do that one? Besides the obvious, $
I'm sure he's glad almost everyone's forgotten about it by now.........
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
I have thought for a while that a treatment of the Erdnase mystery could make a popular movie.

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone surely tops my list for its satirical accuracy.

Here is a 29-minute live performance of mine: https://youtu.be/lq2Rj1uf05M

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

brucherseifer52
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of brucherseifer52
Hello guys,

my name is Hans. As a member of the Magic Circle of Germany and a film school graduate I am currently working on a documentary about S.W. Erdnase. It chronicles the history of "The Expert at the Card Table". When I began to learn magic just a few years ago, the book was a great inspiration for me. Therefore, I want to share the mysterious story of its long-lost author with the community. If you are interested, you can have a look at the teaser over here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fou......=erdnase

Please let me know what you think. I'm looking forward to your feedback. Smile
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I was the chief magic consultant for Bogus by Norman Jewison, 1996. It is a movie with a lot of magic and several different magicians. It stars Whoopie Goldberg, Gerard Depardieu, and Haley Osment. Johnathan Pendragon, Thomsoni, and Tony Clark all worked on various magic effects throughout the show. I highly recommend it for the list.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115725/
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
magicianbrady
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of magicianbrady
Now You See Me should have also made into the list
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Best performance as a magician, David Niven in "Eternally Yours."

"Two on a Guillotine" with Cesar Romero as the magician.
Nem
View Profile
New user
Florida
59 Posts

Profile of Nem
"Two on a Guillotine", that's taking me back some. Good movie though.
I found "The Illusionist" to be one of the best I have ever seen. Emotionally stirring, like magic should be. Remember after the movie came out the illusionist locket craze? The power of a love story with magic. I did not get near that reaction with "The Prestige" although it was ok.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
FlightRisk
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
294 Posts

Profile of FlightRisk
Just a note, "Bogus" is available now included with your Netflix subscription. It looks like you can rent it for $3.99 on Amazon Prime and most of the other streaming platforms.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » The Best 10 Movies About Magic of All Time (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL