The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Across Version? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

seneca77
View Profile
Regular user
Tampa Bay, Florida
199 Posts

Profile of seneca77
A long time ago (30+ years) I learned a quick effect with 4 coins. I've used it ever since but don't know the name of it or who originated it.

Here's what the spectator sees: I start with my palms up and ask the spectator to place one coin in each palm. I then slowly close my fingers over the coin. I then ask the spectator to lay a coin on top of the fingers in each hand. IOW, there's a coin inside each fist and there's another coin on top of each fist.

I then rapidly turn over my fists inward, i.e. toward each other, and the coins that were resting on top of my fists spill out onto the table. I patter something about making a mistake and turn my fists back over fingers up. I ask the spectator if they would replace the two coins as before.

Again, I turn my fists over, but this time I quickly open and close my fingers, allowing the coins on top of my fingers to drop into my palms. When I slowly open my fingers, one hand contains only one coin, and the other hand contains three.

I hope I explained that clearly. I would love to know who originated the effect or what its name is. I learned it from a magician I took lessons from in Cleveland, Ohio, back in the 70s.

Thanks in advance!
- Bob
mago.niko
View Profile
Loyal user
Athens, Greece
286 Posts

Profile of mago.niko
That was also the very first trick I learned.. I'm not sure but I think I saw this routine in Ben Salinas dvds.
I'll have to check them again to watch if it's inside..
Searching for the magic side of life...
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Martin Gardner describes the effect on page 95 of his Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic. He says that it's an old effect, giving two sources: DeLawrence's "Impromptu Magic" and Tom Osborne's "Coin Tricks" ( where I first learned it ).
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Just located my copy of Tom Osborne's "Coin Tricks". It was published in 1945 and he called it an old trick then. He didn't mention an originator.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I researched George DeLawrence and found out that his book was published in 1922. He may have been the originator, but that's not certain.
seneca77
View Profile
Regular user
Tampa Bay, Florida
199 Posts

Profile of seneca77
A big thanks to NicholasD and mago.niko for your quick and thorough replies. Much appreciated! I love the fact that a trick I perform has (potentially) an almost 100 year history.

Thanks again!
- Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Across Version? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL