We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Need Help with Servo's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2216 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
I have a project in mind and need to animate/move, or activate something via remote control..I had been told I could use a step motor to complete each part of the animation, another suggestion was to use servos to make each part of the animation happen...I need sources or more info on how these work. Any help would be much appreciated
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Here's one source I have used before.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/servos.html?gc......odaE6eCg
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
817 Posts

Profile of lin
This may help:

http://makeprojects.com/Wiki/Servos

I believe it's an excerpt from Make Magazine, vol 19.

You might also try searching the Instructables site.
davidj40
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of davidj40
Check out a post called Rising Chest Lid - Any Ideas? There is some great information on the basic stamp and servo motors.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1305 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Of course, knowing a bit more of your project (what needs to move, how much etc.) would be helpful so people could offer some information.
Sent from my Typewriter
rhiro
View Profile
Regular user
Southern California
165 Posts

Profile of rhiro
There are lots of ways to go here. How many servos? Do you need to sync it to music or other audio? Does it need to be completely self-contained, or could you tie it to a computer? I'm assuming you want programmed motion that is triggered by R/C, as opposed to simply moving something via R/C by, say, twiddling the sticks on an R/C transmitter.

A lot of robotics enthusiasts these days are driving servos with programmable microcontrollers, like the Arduino, BASIC Stamp, and many others. For really simple applications, I have driven single servos directly off the BASIC Stamp (see Rising Chest Lid thread mentioned by davidj40). For more complex programming and multiple servos, I've used servo controllers, with a microcontroller or a computer sending it move commands. There are some servo controllers that work standalone, with onboard memory storing the movement info. Google "servo controller" to see examples of what's out there.

I am definitely not an expert on this. I only know enough about electronics and servos to get myself into trouble. There are many online communities that can help you. Folks that are into building Halloween props often do animation with servos. Google "Prop Controller" to see some ideas and products, or check out places like hauntforum.com. Search on "servo" on the Instructables.com site to see some examples of what folks are doing with servos.

Good luck,

Ross
en2oh
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of en2oh
Quote:
On 2011-02-09 21:59, davidj40 wrote:
Check out a post called Rising Chest Lid - Any Ideas? There is some great information on the basic stamp and servo motors.

Just out of interest. What forum would I look in to find this post?
Thanks
doug
rhiro
View Profile
Regular user
Southern California
165 Posts

Profile of rhiro
Quote:
On 2011-07-02 10:38, en2oh wrote:

Just out of interest. What forum would I look in to find this post?

It's in the Workshop forum, several pages back:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=26&25
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Need Help with Servo's (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL