The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Airport security!!! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Jim Davis
View Profile
Special user
What is....? Utah
945 Posts

Profile of Jim Davis
MJMarrs, you are correct. Remember that anything we use for magic purposes, someone has thought about how to use them for gainfull purposes (and not kindly). In fact some of my most devious tests relied on my magic background.

I am glad to hear that Yzetadrummer. My biggest job, is to make sure that the traveling public is safe and "comfortable". All to often, the TSA forgets that. I don't, because I get my paycheck from folks like you, not a government guaranteed program.
Diamond Jim Davis "The Cardslinger" ~~~ Magic from the '80's....................the 1880's!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Don't just be a magician, be a human interest!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>[url]www.periodplayers.com[/ur
jarrod
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of jarrod
Lots of good information. I definitely learned a lot.

I think they are going overboard now with what items you can bring on an airplane though. After what happened Sept11, if someone pulled that again, I bet almost every person onboard would put up a fight.
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
Quote:
On 2003-08-14 22:36, jarrod wrote:

I think they are going overboard now with what items you can bring on an airplane though. After what happened Sept.11th, if someone pulled that again, I bet almost every person onboard would put up a fight.

I know if I was on a plane I would definitely put up a fight. It is easier said then done. When you're 30,000 feet high with a knife to your throat things become much different.

Kind of scary to actually think about all aspects of that situation.

Chris
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Quote:
On 2003-08-15 01:30, Seismic wrote:
Quote:
On 2003-08-14 22:36, jarrod wrote:

I think they are going overboard now with what items you can bring on an airplane though. After what happened Sept.11th, if someone pulled that again, I bet almost every person onboard would put up a fight.

I know if I was on a plane I would definitely put up a fight. It is easier said then done. When you're 30,000 feet high with a knife to your throat things become much different.

Kind of scary to actually think about all aspects of that situation.

Chris

There's a marvellous set of threads on the Uechi-ryu karate board about this issue. http://www.uechiryu.com and hit the bulletin board option (chat rooms). Run by the head of the style for the USA, Mr. George Mattson.

One thing we have to remember is that in stress situation the chemical cocktail (adrenaline rush) can and will totally screw up your fine motor skills, so forget about hanging coins and beat the bugger to death with that lexan wand!!! Smile

I carry one when I travel. Security usually doesn't give it a second glance. I mean - it's got laser crystal tape on the ends and it's transparent! Smile

Not to mention that I usually have to do 5 minutes for the TSA troops just to "prove" I'm a pro.

Ghu knows WHAT I might be able to do with them there aluminum cups after all! Or the gold plated walnut shells ( DID catch a problem search on THOSE, BTW)!

Just funnin' you Diamond Jim. I always cooperate to the fullest and do NOT dis the security types at the gate.

They get enough flack from the regular civilians!

Kind regards,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2791 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2003-08-09 11:30, Jim Davis wrote:
Quote:
On 2003-08-07 08:00, 20Robert04 wrote:
They might start checking our decks too. I just read that they think some decks could have a metal sharp edge and be used for throwing.
When will this madness stop.

If you had a shimmed card, that would appear on an x-ray, and, I would add, look rather suspicious. Also any deck that has been altered in anyway, would also look different.

Again, I would just check your bag, it is insured by any domestic airline up to $2500.00. If you are traveling international, it is only $640.00, so you may wish to purchase additional insurance.

Yeah, but I imagine the insurance isn't going to help a lot if they've "misplaced" your bags and you have to cancel because your props are on their way to Scandinavia!

Smile
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
Jim Davis
View Profile
Special user
What is....? Utah
945 Posts

Profile of Jim Davis
Have a chat with the airline about the situation. Most times "misplaced baggage" is returned within hours. I have, myself, made special arrangements to help in situations where it was going to be longer.

mstrhypno, I still have a sense of humor, just not at the airport. Smile

Having studied two forms of martial arts, I realize that they both get thrown out the window when it comes to subdue someone in a 22 inch aisle, at 35,000 feet, with the captain going to take things in his own hands. (And believe me the pilots will now react to events like this a lot different. Remember prior to 9/11 not many deaths occured in hijacks.)

And have they gone to far? Well, if it never happens again, then I would have to say no. If it does happen again, we still need more, but how much more? Remember security was to "deter" events like 9/11.
Diamond Jim Davis "The Cardslinger" ~~~ Magic from the '80's....................the 1880's!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Don't just be a magician, be a human interest!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>[url]www.periodplayers.com[/ur
Alikzam
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of Alikzam
When I went to the Reno PCAM convention I took the handchopper, there wasn't any problems at all.
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
I traveled from Toronto to Ottawa to present a workshop for my work. During the workshop, I do a few magic moments to illustrate my points.
I do a centavo to twoonie switch for example. The workshop went very well.

I went to the Airport in Ottawa to fly home. I had an assortment of coins in my pocket for safe keeping (around $200.00 worth – not face value, but replacement value).

Security is hectic. I was rushed to get to my flight. They took forever ripping apart my computer and wanding it. I finally rushed to the boarding area and caught my plane.

As we started to fly, I realized that I had no jingling in my pocket. I had left the coins in the tray at the security counter. I asked an attendant and she said I would have to call when we landed in Toronto.

In Toronto, I found the number. I had to call Airport security in Ottawa and report the missing coins. I called and a very efficient and authoritive voice answered. I apologized and explained that I had left some things in a tray.

He said, “Yes, sir. What did you leave?”

“Some coins,” I explained.

“Some coins’” he repeated. I could definitely hear a tinge of annoyance and possible incredulity in his voice.

At this point I am sure he thought that I was some nutbar calling because I lost fifty-three cents, so I tried to explain…

“You don’t understand. They’re magic coins!!!”

“Right. Maaaagic Coins.”
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2791 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2003, Payne wrote:
Coins can cause problems as well. I always carry my Lassen gaffs with me as carry on as I don't trust the airlines enough to put them in my luggage. I am stopped everytime and searched. I was told by security that they are now making knives that can be hidden in coins.
I don't know if this is true, it's just what I was told.

My father had a "knife and sword collectible" catalog. One of the items was a large Liberty dollar that had TWO blades hidden in it!

Here's some I found;

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Fre......sicHover
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20776 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
18 Year old thread. Got to be some sort of record.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1975 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Kizops are not any smizartor.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Airport security!!! (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL