The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Classic pass (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Hi guys. I didn't know where to post this so I thought this would be the right plase for it.

Here is a quick video of my classic pass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KVifb48aZ0

Please also give me some advice.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
You are making a classic mistake with your classic pass. The classic pass was never intended to be invisible, but to be done during a moment of misdirection, which you are not providing. Your classic pass is quite visible, which isn't good. You need the misdirection.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Yeah, I quit trying to have an invisible CP a long time ago. A little misdirection, a larger motion to cover the smaller, does the trick.
Wes
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Profile of mavericklancer
I believe I read from Vernon (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the pass should be executed the instant the hands come together. As was said above, you should be doing some larger/misdirecting movements with your hands, then bringing them together momentarily to do the sleight.
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On 2011-02-12 23:17, Father Photius wrote:
You are making a classic mistake with your classic pass. The classic pass was never intended to be invisible, but to be done during a moment of misdirection, which you are not providing. Your classic pass is quite visible, which isn't good. You need the misdirection.

I did that video to demonstrate my pass not to demonstrate my misdirection. Of course when I use it in a real life I always try to do it in an off beat.

It may be never intended to be invisible, but it still can be nearly invisible.
Lord Anacho
View Profile
Regular user
Kessel-Lo, Belgium
157 Posts

Profile of Lord Anacho
What are you guys talking about? This guy has great misdirection! His video is so dark you can't see a thing !

Seriously all you Youtube posters. Please review your video before you put in online? Pretty please?

Ciao for now

Erik
"The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything" (Alfred Borden in The Prestige)
mdaniels
View Profile
New user
Panamá
78 Posts

Profile of mdaniels
1tepa1 you shake your hand way to much! you can make the pass with no misdirection, check Jason England pass 1on1
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On 2011-02-15 09:35, mdaniels wrote:
1tepa1 you shake your hand way to much! you can make the pass with no misdirection, check Jason England pass 1on1

I have seen Jasons video. Infact I do have it myself. But even when he does it I can still see the halves change places. The shaking is called rocking and it prevents the spectators from seeing the change of the halves. I may have rocked the cards a bit too much, but that camera angle wasnt the best possible.
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
892 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Some constructive criticism: Do the sleight in a routine just to demonstrate the move in context. I'm not saying your pass sucks, just that it is hard to evaluate a disembodied sleight (they were made for a purpose).

Your hands are together for too long, and the rock is a little too big. You don't need to hide the top of the deck--my experience shows that non-magicians do not see the top of the deck changing, but they will see left fingers moving or the cards moving under your right hand...so tilting the cards forward SLIGHTLY will help hide this.

Best
E.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Dude,

You do the move better than most, way better. My praise nor the criticism of others is particularly valuable. It's up to you to refine the move. It's your responsibility to get better. Think about what folks say, keep the smart stuff, trash the rest. You get to pick!

I think the advice to put it in the context of a trick is really important.

The sleight is angle-sensitive. Do you know where it's sensitive? If not use a mirror to see and remember at what angle packets flash.

Don't worry about doing something to direct their attention away. Smile, look them in the face, relax, (my only criticism is your elbows were tense and looked a little awkward), say something witty and in mid-sentence bring your hands together, and do that tiny little flourishy riffle.

Again, I thing you've got the move down far better than most. Good job! I'd like to see you use this in an awesome card trick, without the music! I hate music in magic videos that has no bearing except to fill the void. (My problem, not yours)

KG
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On 2011-02-17 22:06, kentfgunn wrote:
Dude,

You do the move better than most, way better. My praise nor the criticism of others is particularly valuable. It's up to you to refine the move. It's your responsibility to get better. Think about what folks say, keep the smart stuff, trash the rest. You get to pick!

I think the advice to put it in the context of a trick is really important.

The sleight is angle-sensitive. Do you know where it's sensitive? If not use a mirror to see and remember at what angle packets flash.

Don't worry about doing something to direct their attention away. Smile, look them in the face, relax, (my only criticism is your elbows were tense and looked a little awkward), say something witty and in mid-sentence bring your hands together, and do that tiny little flourishy riffle.

Again, I thing you've got the move down far better than most. Good job! I'd like to see you use this in an awesome card trick, without the music! I hate music in magic videos that has no bearing except to fill the void. (My problem, not yours)

KG

Thank you mr Kent. I have been watching your videos for a quite some time now, and I understand that your knowlege about magic is much greater than mine.

I have been working on the pass for about 3 years, and I must admit that my performance was not as good as it could have been. I was in a slightly akward position, and that made my arms a bit stiff.

Let me give an example how I cover the pass.
Lets take for example one sandwich routine I do.
After they have replaced their card back I direct their attention to the aces by saying something like " here we have the ace of hearts and the ace of diamonds. Wich one would you prefer?". And whe they are thinking I do the pass.

I have discovered that the only weak angle is your left side or if someone is watching from below. And if you turn to th left and do the pass while saying something to someone to your left you should be pretty much completely covered.

I will see if I can do a video for you, although my english isn't too good.

I would be glad to take any suggestions about making my pass better that you can give me.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Your journey to take. I have no advice. Unlike some, when someone does a sleight better than me. I should remember to stay silent.

Keep on,

KG
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Classic pass (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL