The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » MAGICSEEN - Britain's brightest independent magic magazine » » Talk about Rip of Brittan (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1026 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Let me see if I have got this correct

If I live in the USA. I can get a years subscription to
Both the Digital and the printed version of a UK magazine
For just $29.50 (at today exchange rate =£19.40)

But if I live in the UK to have the same deal
will cost me £43.00 ($65.36 !!!)

Sorry something just doesn't add up to me
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3327 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Well spotted - and it doesn't end there! We're constantly ripped off in the UK.

I've often made on-line purchases from American sites and the order has been cheaper - (including shipping!!) than if I went to my local shop!

Just to prove a point - Magicseen download is £3.50 here. If I do it through Chris's Lybrary, I get it for £3.18.

CD's DVD's Blu-ray, Xbox/PSP games - its all the same - utter UK rip off!
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
OK so how do brits order it via the US?
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Actually I just checked this out at http://www.magicseen.co.uk

annual subs printed £25 which doesn't seem unreasonable or £18 if you want the PDF.

Danny
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3327 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Quote:
On 2011-02-17 18:24, djurmann wrote:
OK so how do brits order it via the US?


Just create an account at the Lybrary. Simples. Smile
http://www.lybrary.com
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1026 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Quote:
On 2011-02-17 18:31, djurmann wrote:
Actually I just checked this out at http://www.magicseen.co.uk

annual subs printed £25 which doesn't seem unreasonable or £18 if you want the PDF.

Danny


The point I was making is I can get BOTH digital version and printed in the Usa
for less than the cost than buying in the UK

Considering it's a UK magazine,

It's nothing short of a rip off !
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1026 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
I hope that Mark Leveridge will come on this forum to advise why us Brit's are paying over the odds for a UK Magazine

and does he have any plans to change this
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
If you haven't the gumption to contact him, why should he follow you here?
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
It is a UK magazine which may or may not be printed in the UK. It almost certainly does have different printing and distribution deals in the US and the UK. £25 is not an unreasonable price. If it is a price which allows the business to flourish and grow good on them. If the US get a better deal good luck to them. If you get Mark Leveridge to price match good on you!

Differential global markets are a fact of life, sometimes they hurt and sometimes they pleasure. My US colleagues are jealous as hell of UK maternity leave/holiday. My UK colleagues are jealous as hell of US technology prices. C'est la vie (I hope you are deepy impressed with my knowledge of classical Greek).

D
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1026 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Quote:
On 2011-02-19 17:35, mormonyoyoman wrote:
If you haven't the gumption to contact him, why should he follow you here?


For your infomation I have contracted so before posting I would check your facts.

So far I have had no reply as he is the editor, I Would expect him to read the comments that are posted
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1026 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Quote:
On 2011-02-20 08:02, djurmann wrote:
It is a UK magazine which may or may not be printed in the UK. It almost certainly does have different printing and distribution deals in the US and the UK. £25 is not an unreasonable price. If it is a price which allows the business to flourish and grow good on them. If the US get a better deal good luck to them. If you get Mark Leveridge to price match good on you!

D


Both the Digital and the printed version of a UK magazine (that is printed in the UK)
For just $29.50 (at today exchange rate =£19.40)

If we had the digital version included for the £25 I would not have any complaint, like Geni automaticaly includes the Digital Version as part of the deal,

As Stated if I live in the UK to have the same deal as USA readers it
will cost me £43.00 ($65.36 !!!) as we are charged extra for BOTH the printed and Digital Version, you then wonder why UK Dealers are not suppored

I have asked Mark Leveridge to comment on this but without any response
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1113 Posts

Profile of Chris
Martin, I can't speak for Mark and I don't set the prices for the UK subscriptions, but I can set a few facts straight and give you my opinion. First, even though the UK and US edition is identical in contents they are printed in different places which also means different production costs. As djurmann already pointed out it is not a fair comparison to simply compare prices across continents. There are huge price differences in all kinds of services, taxes and other boundary conditions which explain why certain things are more expensive in Europe then they are in the US. I will point out one factor that you might not be aware of. Shipping costs. It is much cheaper to mail an issue in the US than it is to mail it in the UK or Europe. The US offers much cheaper mailing options. This is very important for a magazine subscription where the cost of mailing issues is one of the large factors of setting a subscription price.

For people who want to subscribe to Magicseen please see http://www.lybrary.com/magicseen/
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
I emailed Mr Leveridge who confirmed that the UK postal costs make selling the UK printed version at the US printed price impossible. I did not ask about the PDF's.

Danny
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1026 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Quote:
On 2011-02-22 18:22, Chris wrote:
Martin, I can't speak for Mark and I don't set the prices for the UK subscriptions, but I can set a few facts straight and give you my opinion. First, even though the UK and US edition is identical in contents they are printed in different places which also means different production costs. As djurmann already pointed out it is not a fair comparison to simply compare prices across continents. There are huge price differences in all kinds of services, taxes and other boundary conditions which explain why certain things are more expensive in Europe then they are in the US. I will point out one factor that you might not be aware of. Shipping costs. It is much cheaper to mail an issue in the US than it is to mail it in the UK or Europe. The US offers much cheaper mailing options. This is very important for a magazine subscription where the cost of mailing issues is one of the large factors of setting a subscription price.

For people who want to subscribe to Magicseen please see http://www.lybrary.com/magicseen/


Thanks for your Post Chris , While I understand that the postage and Printing Costs are not the Same in the UK as USA,

It looks to me that you are giving a free Digital Version with the purchase of the paper edition ,

This is why I started the post as this is now common with several Magazine both Magical and non magical (Geni for example gives the digital Version with the Paid Subscription)

so with even the extra cost of Printing I would like to know why we can't have the same deal ie the Free PDF when paying for the Printed Version(even paying the extra for the Printed in the UK ,the PDF is charged as an Extra, as it stands I buy the Digital edition from your site when I see something of interest as at the moment there is no incentive for me to subscribe in the UK
Craig Dickson
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Valley, NY
351 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickson
Another thing. A lot of people seem to forget the 20% VAT the UK dealers all must collect. The dealers arent screwing you. I am referring to good, not magazines by the way.
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1026 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Quote:
On 2012-03-07 11:35, Craig Dickson wrote:
Another thing. A lot of people seem to forget the 20% VAT the UK dealers all must collect. The dealers arent screwing you. I am referring to good, not magazines by the way.


This is Incorrect as Printed Material is Zero Rated
de rome
View Profile
New user
UK/NORWAY
71 Posts

Profile of de rome
Hi all,
I actually advertise my product HOT SPOT/HEAT quite a lot in UK MagicSeen Magazine (its also been known for years as Hypno Heat the hot foil in the hand,)
My normal UK subscription ran out last month and I was due to re new again for another year,,
So thanks to who ever posted this thread on the Café as Ive just now re subscribed with the american side of things
and saved quite a lot of hard earned money by doing so, in uk equivalent it was only £13.00 for 12 PDF issues.

If anyone wants to see the thread on the Café to my product HOT SPOT/HEAT have a look here at the seperate thread under A PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS, http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=15&22
you will never find a better quality HEAT / HOTSPOT / HYPNO HEAT as mine anywhere else, ITS REALLY GOOD... here is a link to the effect NEW WEB SITE AND TO ORDER
http://www.cdrmagic.com/heat
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Great plug for your own product!

Now let's get back to discussing the matter at hand. R.O.B.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » MAGICSEEN - Britain's brightest independent magic magazine » » Talk about Rip of Brittan (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL