The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Is this a conversion figure? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matt Thompson
View Profile
New user
Gadsden, Alabama
31 Posts

Profile of Matt Thompson
First off, I should mention that I am 95% sure that this is a professional figure, not a conversion, and my nagging feelings are ridiculous.

I found this figure for a good deal, and would be a great start for me...she has blinking, winking, self-centering eyes, and is 40" long. I contacted the seller and she mentioned that the figure was repainted by Clinton Detweiler a while back. She contacted him, and he identified it as a William Andersen figure. The fact that she is a girl is no big deal, a change of clothes and a haircut and she becomes male rather quickly, so that doesn't bother me. But when I look at the figure's face, I'm reminded so much of the conversion figures of the Juro dolls I've seen on websites--uncomfortably so. I don't know why. I've compared shots of her with those and her nose and lips are obviously different from any design they have available.

So, I thought I would present this to the experts; does this figure look like a conversion to you? This is the only picture I have, and it is of her head...but it is a pretty good view of it. Am I simply being paranoid? Or am I on to ssmething here? I just want to know before I spend the money on it. I really don't want a conversion.

Thanks for taking the time to check this out! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Click here to view attached image.
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
I'm not an expert - but if the head looks the correct size on a 40" figure, it wouldn't be a conversion. The toy dummy heads are generally smaller. It is tough to tell (for me) from the one photo.
Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Matt Thompson
View Profile
New user
Gadsden, Alabama
31 Posts

Profile of Matt Thompson
Yeah, I know the photo is tough--it's the only one I have. I should have taken more pictures. >_<
You are right--this is definitely a 40" figure and as I said before, I was 95% sure to begin with that it was legit. Having a professional's opinion helps reassure me greatly, though. Thanks a lot.
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
It does kind of look like a conversion figure, but if it's a William Andersen figure, then it is not a conversion figure. His figures were full size sculpted from plastic wood. Bill sold heads that were just the base of a head and face and mechanics installed, and a person could buy them and continue to sculpt them with more plastic wood.
I have to say, they did a very nice job with that one.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
Chuck Lyons
View Profile
Loyal user
Channahon, IL
264 Posts

Profile of Chuck Lyons
Defineatly not a conversion. Conversions are the typical Juro plastic dolls with hair and eye movements addes. Yo can tell they look like Charlie, Mortimer, Danny, WC Fields, Or Howdy Doody. They also have redone bodies with head sticks. Hope this helps.
Vegasvent
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix
288 Posts

Profile of Vegasvent
Nice looking figure! Not like any conversion I ever saw. Excellent paint job!
Magical Phil-Kidzshow, LLC

"My Wife says that either all of my Stuff goes, or she does......" "Boy, I'm sure gonna miss her cookin'."
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

When I said "It does kind of look like a conversion figure" - I think it does have a slight Charlie look. It could be whoever did the sculpting used a Charlie doll, or Charlie pictures as a model to get the look.
But like I said in my other post, if it's an Andersen, it's not a conversion.
And it sounds like Matt has seen this figure because he said it's definitely a 40" figure - can you imagine a full size figure made with a vent doll head? A tiny little head on a full size body?

Matt Thompson
View Profile
New user
Gadsden, Alabama
31 Posts

Profile of Matt Thompson
It's interesting you should mention Charlie--that's exactly what I thought when I saw the face, and that's what caused my worries in the first place.

You guys have convinced me. It's definitely not a conversion figure. I am going to purchase it. I will show more pictures once I have it in hand. Thanks for the help!
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Seems to me the nose is too well detailed and nicely done for a conversion figure. Also, the bottom of the face and jawline are squarer than any of the conversion figures I've ever seen.

-Philip
CaptKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of CaptKirk
WOW, nice looking figure!! One of the nicest female figures I've seen! I certainly wouldn't change her into a male if I had her, but that's just my personal opinion:o)
Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
That's twice Capt. Kirk. This was my turn, because that's what I wanted to say, but I did not say it because I figured that Matt was the one buying the figure with a specific purpose, so the gender change was his business. I do agree with you though. If Matt were to search for several years he probably would not find a better looking female figure to match this one. I would leave it alone, come up with the character for a lady, and keep looking for a male.

Steve
http://www.thedummyshoppe.com
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

I agree, it's one of the best looking female figures I've ever seen also, but if I were buying it, I'd either have to turn it into a male figure or just use it for decoration because I already know I can't do a female voice, and certainly not one that would do that figure justice.
OR.....he could have his girlfriend learn vent too, use this figure, he finds a male figure and they could be the modern day Ray and Ann Schailby.

CaptKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of CaptKirk
Steve: it seems we vents pretty much all think the same:o) I certainly was NOT telling Matt to not change the gender of HIS figure. It's just something I personally wouldn't do since she looks so awesome! Female figures are much harder to find, especially pre-owned ones that are as nice as Matt's, IMHO.
Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
Her features are very fine, and the hair almost looks human. I like your idea David. A new "duo" would be the solution. Matts lady would in fact do a much more believable female character.

Steve
http://www.thedummyshoppe.com
Matt Thompson
View Profile
New user
Gadsden, Alabama
31 Posts

Profile of Matt Thompson
Thanks for the advice, guys. I should have mentioned that I wasn't planning on actually performing a "sex change" operation on the figure; merely that if the need should ever arise to do so, it could be done easily.

However, the more I look at this figure, the more I realize what a travesty that would be...she really does look like a girl, and that seems quite rare in the vent world. Most of the female figures I've seen simply look like boy figures in drag.

Thanks for helping me avert a decision I would have certainly regretted later.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Is this a conversion figure? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL