The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Show in 3 weeks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ben Field
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Ben Field
Hi Guys

We have a hypnosis show booked in 3 weeks time at the University and we wanted to mix in some stuff to really freak out the students.

I am working with a good friend of mine who will be taking the lead on the hypnotism while I will be spliting up the acts with some other sruff.

I am planning to do needle swallowing routined with wayne houchins 'thread' and sean fields 'saw' ending it by pulling the last needle out through my neck. Looking at doing a needle through arm on a hypnotised subject and I have a few other ideas such as the simple use of a staple gun with paper and some blood.

I'm looking for more ideas along simular lines, obviously they have to be quite straight forward to learn given the time we have before the show.

Wondering if you guys could help?
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
I'm sorry but you seem to have stumbled into the wrong section of the forum. Everything you listed is a gaff. This is the "We do stuff for real" section of the Café.
We can't teach you any "tricks". We do the fire eating, glass walking, real flesh stapling, sword swallowing stuff.
If you want gore/shock effects might I direct you to the "The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre!" section?
They might be a little rough on you as you have agreed to do a show in three weeks that you do not even have ready, but they might be able to point you towards some of the right resources.
Gwyd
Ben Field
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Ben Field
Thanks gsidhe,

As you can see I'm pretty new to the Café, I have posted this question up where you have suggested, I was initially thinking of doing a bit of glass walking and stone breaking I didn't feel sharing a stage with hypnotised subjects was ideal for these stunts, that was my reasoning for posting on this page.

As to the show not being ready, I can appriciate the view from a pro, I am currently just trying to find my feet as far as getting into performing and was asked to do this as a fundraiser for the mooting society, so I thought I might as well jump in the deep end and see if I swim!!

Thanks again for the advice
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5109 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Ben, welcome to the BION section!

Most of the performance material discussed in this section, should be learned in person, from an expert. Otherwise, there's a high probability of doing yourself significant bodily harm. Generally, because of that potential, we don't often discuss actual technique here, especially with people we don't know. It's not double lifts.

There are two places where you can get formal training. One is at Coney Island. The other is through me. I don't know Coney's schedule off-hand. My June class is full, though I'm considering running another one, in the fall.

With whom are you doing the hyp show? And which university?
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Ben Field
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Ben Field
Hi Harley,

I'm in Southampton, England, we have been doing hypnosis on friends for a while and my friend did a improptu show in a pub a few weeks ago and was asked if we could take over friday night entertainment at the student union.

We have agreed to do a benefit show in 3 weeks time, to test the water and see if it works for both side to continue afterwards. My feeling was that the show would be better with one hypnotist, but equally it would be helpful to have the second person there adding something different to the show.

So we oringinally talked about doing stunts and explaining them as only possible through hypnosis, but then we change the question to what could we do that would freak people out them most!

And so that is where we are with it, I have a couple of routines and I am happy with, and just asking the question.

:)
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5109 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Don't forget that self-hypnosis, is the same as talking yourself into doing something. Given the circumstances, it might be a good idea to maintain that kind of theme. Context is everything.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
If you've not seen it you should look at Derren's live show "Something Wicked This Way Comes".

I'm not saying copy it, in fact quite the opposite, you should see it so you don't end up doing the same stuff... Anyway. The second half of the show explores the "what if my mind powers were turned on myself" thing.

He demonstrates human blockhead, pulse stopping and glass walking. I don't know what others here thought of it but I'm a fan of how he performed it. The audience reactions were amazing to watch. Almost better than watching the acts themselves. I was amazed how shocked the general public are when seeing this stuff live.

I think you can buy Derren's shows on Amazon now. And they may still be viewable on 4OD too.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Michael K
View Profile
Loyal user
Hazleton, PA
251 Posts

Profile of Michael K
Also be careful about just going for the "freak out" factor. While it does work for some performers, it doesn't for others. Just know that there is only so far you can go with it and you will find that there is a difficult ceiling and only certain audiences appreciate it fully for the work and danger you put into it. I don't want to stop you from working on your idea just playing devil's advocate...

Do others here agree or disagree?

Michael
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5109 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Derren's suffocation/pulse stop/glass walk is on YouTube. I didn't like it. He combined too many themes for clear storytelling, so no theme worked as well as it could have. Sure, the audience was amazed, but it could have been so much more.

www.bladewalker.com
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Agree with Harley on this one >>>> Also once again DB demonstrated that he is "Master" of all !! That even a common magic man can do Sideshow Stunts etc etc.

Once again the enigma,,,,for me escapes are for escapologists,,,sideshow is for sideshow artists, magic for magicians, mentalism for mentalists and spoon bending for idiots !

To club it all together detracts from each other and no one form will excel.

Ken.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5109 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I don't think the problem is mixing genres. I do that all the time. Because of the way I do it, each part is mutually reinforcing, and adds to the whole.

DB's problem was that he made a mud puddle. As a metaphor, he took a goblet of merlot, a goblet of chardonney, a pint of Guinness, and mixed them together with a dollop of lime juice, a dash of worcestershire sauce, and a gallon of used crankcase oil.

www.bladewalker.com
Ben Field
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Ben Field
It's interesting for me to hear the views of people far more experianced than me on this, I have seen the DB show and did enjoy it. However our approach was going to me somewhat different.

What we had talked about was my character being kind of a socially inept attention seeker, we had planned that I wouldn't even say anything through out the show, just come out and do my thing and any explanations or commentary that was needed would be done by the hypnotist.

Our relationship would be one of him grudingly allowing me in the show and gradually getting more and more fed up with me (hopefully) adding a lot of humor to the proceedings. We had talked about this situation where I could do needle through arm on a subject while he is distracted, keeping his relationship with the subjects more positive. And the idea of each time I come on stage I try to increase the extremety of the stunt I am doing (real or otherwise).

I would be interested on your views as performers, particularly with reference to what has been discussed on this thread about consistency and storytelling?
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Think Harley would be the best at story telling.

Me,,,Im a pro liar and BS merchant.

That works for me but each to their own.

Ken
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5109 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
A story isn't always "Once Upon a Time, They Lived..." It simply means that you have a theatrical motivation for each action, and that actions follow a logical progression, easily understood by the audience.

www.bladewalker.com
Martin_Ling
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of Martin_Ling
I think there are already too many "socially inept attention seekers" in the business, character or otherwise.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Show in 3 weeks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL