The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Does anyone Memorized and use more than one MD? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
I now memorized two MD, first I memorized Tamarize Deck,however I find the Tamarize deck was not so useful for my pet routines.
So I created another MD which could easily transformed into another needed order for my pet routines.
However I found sometimes a little confusing if I think of a number,two cards will bump into my mind?
Besides,I also created second MD for myself,however I was scared to memorize the third MD because maybe it will be too confusing for me.
Does anyone memorized and use more than one MD like me? And if so,I hope you could share with me how you memorized more than one MD without getting confused,thanks very much.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Simon Aronson, here on the magic Café, once posted a handy tip for instantly memorizing a second deck and not getting it confusing with the first. If you've ever performed the invisible deck, you know how the cards are paired, right (Which suit is paired with which suit, and which value is paired with which value)?

Your second MD stack will consist of the invisible deck counterpart of each card in the Tamariz stack. So, the bottom card will be the 4C, and the card just above it will be the QS, and so on. Get the idea? This also makes it easy to keep the decks mentally separate.
sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
Scott Cram,thanks for your reply.
But I created the second MD specific for mine routines and the order is important, it can't be any other order.
I am planing to memorize the third tailored made MD but I am scared of being confused.
I noticed world memory champions such as Dominic could memorized more than 40 decks of cards in order, but that's different story because memorize MD is different than memorizing cards in order.
the dealer
View Profile
Regular user
las vegas
188 Posts

Profile of the dealer
I have three stacks memorized
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On 2011-02-16 14:58, Scott Cram wrote:
Simon Aronson, here on the magic Café, once posted a handy tip for instantly memorizing a second deck and not getting it confusing with the first. If you've ever performed the invisible deck, you know how the cards are paired, right (Which suit is paired with which suit, and which value is paired with which value)?

Your second MD stack will consist of the invisible deck counterpart of each card in the Tamariz stack. So, the bottom card will be the 4C, and the card just above it will be the QS, and so on. Get the idea? This also makes it easy to keep the decks mentally separate.

Or use Si Stebbins: (e. g. using the Aronson stack) replace each card in the stack with that card that precedes the original card, e. g. #1 JS is replaced by the 8H because in Si Stebbins the JS would follow the 8H (CHaSeD order) a. s. o. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
Wow,the mnemonist,that's nice!
I used two different methods to memorize MD,one mainly by sound the other MD mainly by picture.
May I ask you what system you use to memorize three stacks without getting confused?
For example,if when thinking a number,two cards pop into your head and you are confused which card is in which MD.
the dealer
View Profile
Regular user
las vegas
188 Posts

Profile of the dealer
I use the dominic system myself...also, to prevent me from getting confused, I make sure my journey system is STRONG, I live here in las vegas, so I use hotels as my journey, my aronson stack is in the Venetian hotel, while my own stack that I created, exists at the MGM GRAND....
Alfalot
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Alfalot
I've got a simple idea that helps me - whenever you use a certain stack, use a certain colour deck.

For example, associate the Tamariz stack with a red deck and only use a red deck for those tricks.
Use a blue deck for your own stack.

Then you will have a 4 of clubs red (1) and a 4 of clubs blue (?). You should find it easier to separate them in your mind.

It might not work for you but it's an idea. Smile
kosmoshiva
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
255 Posts

Profile of kosmoshiva
I use BCS as my basic memdeck (in other words, I no longer use the formula), my own devised tarot stack for a 78 card tarot deck, a variation of it for a European deck (ie four court cards), and two story-telling set-ups that I use but don't really think of them as stacks - but of course they are. I've never gotten confused between any of them - I think the usage is the key. If I were to add another memdeck, it would be for a specific purpose - dealing poker hands or somesuch.
Don't forget to breathe.
huruey
View Profile
Loyal user
York, UK
205 Posts

Profile of huruey
A friend of mine has memorized his own stack on top of Mnemonica. The way he did it was to imagine the cards from his own stack glowing blue, similar, I guess, to what Alfalot is suggesting. I am considering doing the same as I have an idea for a routine which requires quite a specific full deck stack.

Joe
Joe Williamson
Chair of the University of York Magic Society
Free Memorized Stack Trainer: http://huruey.webs.com
Alexx
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Alexx
Sorry for little bit off-topic Smile
For what do you need two stacks? I use one MD and never had necessity or need to use a second stack?

Greets
Alexx
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
It is always a possibility to present a routine which involves two memorized decks (e. g. Simon Aronson's "Two Wrongs make it right" in his "Simply Simon", or your own creation...). Then it would make sense to have a modified second deck, modified not only by reversing the stack order. Even a very attentive spectator would be clueless. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Alexx
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Alexx
Thanks Jan,

so it´s more "fooling other magicians"?
I´m amazed of people who can memorize more than one Deck...
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
You've not to memorize two decks, see above... It's not for fooling other magicians, sometimes it's really useful that in two decks same cards don't appear always together, specially if you have very attentive spectators. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Alexx
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Alexx
Sorry I misunderstood your posting ...
I´m glad to be able to memorize one deck, but it´s nice to know what to do with a second.Smile
Thanks for fast answer!
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
You got it, and as I said no need to memorize a second deck. Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
There are more decks of cards than the regular Poker or Bridge stack we normally talk about.

For the above, I use the Aronson stack.

Alakazam makes a wonderful deck of cards which are all movie posters. It is intended to be memorized and I have done so. I do a routine of apparent mind reading with this stack. It's a whole different flavor and you have the chance to show off you knowledge of classic movies. The deck is called "Director's Cut" and is available from Loomis Magic.

There is an elaborate deck of 52 different ESP symbols that comes from Australia. It's called Symbology. You are given a way to translate each symbol, in your mind, in to a Regular playing card. I have the deck in Aronson stack order, but to the spectators they are just random symbols. So, this deck is memorized, too.

Creative magic makes a wonderful deck of what appears to be Children's alphabet cards. They are in full color, have great images, and with two different images for each of the 26 letters, we have a deck of 52 card. The instructions give a system for memorizing the deck, although I did not really like their system and the order of the cards. So I reworked it for my own use. I have my stack memorized, of course. These cards are also available from Loomis Magic.

So that's 4 different memorized decks.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Alexx
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Alexx
Hi Dennis,

I didn't thought on the option that there are other decks than poker cards ...
It sounds interesting, especially the picture stack (first time I heard it, was from paralabs).
sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
Alexx,I memorized two different MD now. Not for fooling magician.
Because each MD has different advantage or disadvantage. For some tricks you need some buit-in effect that only specific MD has.
That's why I need to memorize more than one MD.
magichunter
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of magichunter
Quote:
On 2011-02-16 20:11, JanForster wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-02-16 14:58, Scott Cram wrote:

Or use Si Stebbins: (e. g. using the Aronson stack) replace each card in the stack with that card that precedes the original card, e. g. #1 JS is replaced by the 8H because in Si Stebbins the JS would follow the 8H (CHaSeD order) a. s. o. Jan

These are both really superior ideas. Most of the time I think I am wasting my time reading the nonesense on this forum. Not this time; Jan's post is actually really valuable. Thank you Jan, I appreciate it.

Joe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Does anyone Memorized and use more than one MD? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL