The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Slickness of Kennedy halves (faces/backs)? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ljsviol
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of ljsviol
For coin work, I've got both a set of nicely-worn Walking Liberty halves, and some Kennedy halves (copper-nickel clad) I got from the local bank.

The Walking Liberty halves have a nice sense of 'grab' to my fingers, even though the surfaces are worn away. When I practice with the Kennedy halves, I'm always struck by the 'slickness' of the coin faces/backs; it almost feels like there's a light coat of lacquer on the coin to make it slicker.

I'm relatively new to coin manipulation, and I know 'slickness' is a very subjective impression. I was wondering:

1. Is there anything in the manufacturing process to coat the coins, or something that would cause them to feel slick? Of course, it might just be the copper-nickel metal and stamping process. I looked around online, but didn't find any information.

2. Can anyone suggest methods to make them less slick/slippery? I tried a light brushing with toothpaste (mild abrasive) - it made the coin a bit more shiny -) but didn't change the feel. I've read on the Forum of ideas for roughing coins - it doesn't seem that I need to make them rougher, just change whatever makes them so slick (if that makes sense). -)

I might soaking one in a good solvent, to see if it has any useful effect.

Thanks for any information or ideas!

Larry S.
John T Cox
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of John T Cox
I feel the same way too. I really cannot use the Kennedy Clad coins well because they are too slippery. I do not have the same problem with silver coins. I do have the problem with Eisenhower clad dollars though. I can only assume it is due to the difference in the metal versus the condition of my hands. My hands are dry and have not got much grip against anything. One employee once taunted me when I complained of the mouse wheel being slippery "What, you got no fingerprints?"
The real magic is family!
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1151 Posts

Profile of Corbett
Larry, I've experienced the same myself. I get much better "tack" with the Walkers then the clad Kennedys. Either way, I also use Chamberlan's Golden Touch lotion on my hands before doing coin stuff, and it's fantastic.
ljsviol
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of ljsviol
At least it sounds like it's not just me that feels this way. -) It's not a major problem, just something I've noticed. I may try an email to the Mint to see if they can tell me anything about the manufacturing process (yeah, I'm tenacious ...)

It may be that this is a small 'business' opportunity for someone - come up with a nice method to 'unslick' these coins. Who knows?

Larry S.
ljsviol
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of ljsviol
Just a short followup (although this is probably obvious to the experienced folks):

Inspired by the thread on Kennedy half dollars:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=3&11

that discussed silver content on early Kennedy halves, I decided to get a 1964 coin (90% silver content) and see if it felt any different to my touch. Yes, very much so - it's much preferable to work with, without the 'slippery' feeling I tried to explain above. I know about the placebo effect - if you think something is better, you'll perceive it that way - but a number of blind tests convinced me I can easily feel the difference.

And the coin seems better looking too - it's almost a shame to use such a good looking coin for manipulation, only to wear it out a bit, day by day.... but I will. -)

Now I should check out the 40% silver Kennedys as well, I suppose; they should be less expensive.

Larry S.

PS: I was lucky enough to attend a lecture by David Stone last night. Poor fellow mentioned a number of items had been stolen from his luggage between South America and here, including his coins. A shame to lose the tools you're used to working with... we noticed him warming up with some coins beforehand, probably just getting the feel for them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Slickness of Kennedy halves (faces/backs)? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL