The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Pull my hair (But don't call me Sally...) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
With all of this strongman talk going on I was reminded of an act where a car (Or other heavy object) is pulled by a performers ponytail.

As I am the owner of a most magnificent and luxurious head of hair, on that requires extensive maintenance and only the finest of shampoos and conditioners...It is time that it earned it's keep! No more freeloading on top of my head, it must seek gainful employment!

Anyone have a clue how to tie it into a loop that I can pull stuff with? I have some ideas, but if there is an existing method I would love to take a look!
Thanks!
Gwyd
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5109 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Sally! Nyah, nyah, nyah!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Look what happened to mine !!! don't do it.

Ken.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5109 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
That's what you get for hanging out at the Strand! Kondini, the man who used to be under locks!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
joe yang
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
296 Posts

Profile of joe yang
Gwyd, I like it. There is a circus arial, rope spinning stunt where the performer hangs from their hair. I saw it once in a close-up, private performance.

I don't remember the details, but I didn't detect any slieghts or gaffs. The guy handling the rope was very open about the set up. It looked like the real thing.

If I remember, the tie was made with a loop of rope covered in purple velvet. The rope was about a 1/2 inch thick. It wasn't knotted, just looped on a couple times. I'm thinking it used friction to hold the hair. I'm betting a knot for tying two different size ropes would be a place to start. I have a book on "rescue knots" I refer to. I'll check that.
aka Mike Booth
Michael K
View Profile
Loyal user
Hazleton, PA
251 Posts

Profile of Michael K
Don't know about any knots but I can recommend the book "Spiritual Journey of Joseph L. Greenstein: The Mighty Atom" which is a reprint of "The Mighty Atom." Actually it is a really good book for the general public as well.

Michael
joe yang
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
296 Posts

Profile of joe yang
There is a new escape/challenge in this. I can see it now!
aka Mike Booth
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4204 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Quote:
On 2011-02-16 17:20, joe yang wrote:
Gwyd, I like it. There is a circus arial, rope spinning stunt where the performer hangs from their hair. I saw it once in a close-up, private performance.
I don't remember the details, but I didn't detect any slieghts or gaffs. The guy handling the rope was very open about the set up. It looked like the real thing.

Here is one gal...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0GWwqfefLY
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
I have no definitive knowledge, but I would assume that a cloth or metal loop is secured into the base of the braid (similar to a weave maybe?) that attaches to the object, rather than attaching the hair directly.

Great idea, btw; looking forward to seeing it!
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Ravi The Scorpion Mystic does this in NYC. He might be able to help you out.

However he doesn't pull objects, he gets lifted by it, and I'm pretty sure he is only using his hair, or so he claims. From seeing it in person, I'm going to believe him.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
There is no Gaff to Hair Hang, unless technique is considered a Gaff..I worked a few shows w/ Hair-Hang Divas..altho I do not know the procedure they use to braid, they do wet the hair and weave in a hook w/ a swivel...
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Pull my hair (But don't call me Sally...) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL