The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Making your Show an "Event"! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I think that THAT is the secret to putting up a Mentalism Show, from my experience...

It is making your Show not just a show but an "Event" not to be missed...

For the audience, tell them in your intro (or the MC's Intro) that this is no ordinary Show... You're about to see something so incredible that you would regret it if you missed it.

Imagine that every Show is a Newspaper Headline Prediction with the Press there (even when they're not) and you get in the right "mood"...

(Note: Although NOT a Mentalist, David Blaine knew how to do this very well. Everything was an event with him...)

Just my opinion on it.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Mental Illusionist
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Mental Illusionist
I can imagine that creating a much more interesting show, I like using prerecorded intro's because in that short 20-30 seconds you can set quite the mood so that the spectators know that something big is happening, that's the feeling that I aim for in most of my shows, I like to create the feeling that something big is going to happen at the end. I think that your view on the subject is really good Smile
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Certainly with today's modern audience's attention span, if you allow your audience to ignore you, they will!

In a coffee house that I do, it has a very small stage at one end right next to the main entrance door and if you walk on quietly and mumble they will just carry on with their conversations and not even look your way. You have to grab the bull by the horns, make them know with no doubt that the show has stared and do something quick to grab their attention. Then you have to keep that attention. It really is not a place for subtlety. A short show with no gaps and lots of dramatic reveals.

Strangely during the day when only a few are in there and I do a bit of (for want of better words) 'Table hopping Mentalism' the reverse is true and it's the day after the night before atmosphere and intimate one on one or one on a few is the order of the day.

You have to change and adapt to the place you are playing and even for the different audience types that turn up on the night. Having just one show that you plod through regardless from start to finish, (no matter how wonderful we may think it is) is not the way to go. I learnt this very early on in my career where I just couldn't understand how the same show that had killed the night before, with people coming up to me to tell me how wonderful they thought I was, to walking off to not a single clap the next night with exactly the same show.

ALWAYS: Engage WITH the audience and don't just do a show AT THEM! If you are doing a show WITH the audience, they can't ignore you!
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Wonderful advice.
However, remember not to do this if you have no talent, skills and are neither in possession of a finely honed act. Or you'll die the death and it will take you years to recover.
One word... four syllables (3 the way he pronounces it): 'Mindpunisher'.
Think long and hard about this guys!

Bob
ps: I'm meeting with him later today for an icecream. He simply loves the coldness.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
A brave man, bobser, a very brave man!

Watch he doesn't try to hypnotise you and get you in his bathtub! (Don't forget your speedos!)

If you are not back on by tomorrow, we'll send out a search party.
kasper
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of kasper
Oh you beat me to a post I wanted to write about a while back. Yes I firmly believe in making the effects as an event. Its a frame of mind I try to get into before I show one of my powers. Sometimes folks get wrapped up in showing a bunch of effects. If someone was going to demonstrate the impossible you really would only have to do one effect. I love to take my time and really build it up with presentation. I also enjoy blending effects into everyday life.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-02-17 22:03, kasper wrote:
Oh you beat me to a post I wanted to write about a while back. Yes I firmly believe in making the effects as an event. Its a frame of mind I try to get into before I show one of my powers. Sometimes folks get wrapped up in showing a bunch of effects. If someone was going to demonstrate the impossible you really would only have to do one effect. I love to take my time and really build it up with presentation. I also enjoy blending effects into everyday life.

I read your mind, friendly ghost... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
ThePhilosopher
View Profile
Regular user
Menlo Park, CA
122 Posts

Profile of ThePhilosopher
I also try not to perform "on the spot." I have plenty of impromptu material, but the spectator's attitude and the mood you create are almost important as the effect itself. I think it is bad for a magician to be a "performance monkey" that dances any time someone wants to see a trick, but it is even worse for a mentalist.
- Nathan
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2011-02-18 02:10, ThePhilosopher wrote:
I think it is bad for a magician to be a "performance monkey" that dances any time someone wants to see a trick, but it is even worse for a mentalist.

I know what you mean! Whenever I walk into some place where they know me, there is always one:

"Oi you're that mental bloke ain't you? What am I thinking right now then?"

I smile patronisingly and say "Oh if I had a penny every time someone said that" (Whilst thinking shall I punch them?)

That or a pinch a line from Mel Mellers:
"What am I thinking right now then?"
"Your thinking about having a new hair do... well you must! You can't go around like that now can you?"
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Yes, I just love that Mellers line. Or what about, "Ooooh - have you lost some weight my dear? Well you've certainly found it again!"

Shrubs, where in Kent do you perform? That place sounds like a hoot! Must pop in next time I'm at Alakazam/Card Collection.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Making your Show an "Event"! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL