The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » New to hypnosis, my instructional journey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
819 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Week 3 results:

Unfortunately I didn’t get the chance to get out in the field this weekend. I caught a movie on Friday night and came out looking for an audience so I could be flat out amazing. All the shops were closing up in the mall then. So I decided to find some people at Walmart since I needed some groceries anyway. I had the choice between very annoying teeny boppers and a woman who was telling a worker there how she had to put her boyfriend in jail that morning. I wanted to entertain, but not that bad.

I met up with my magician buddy, Ryan and his wife on Sunday. I ran through a few set pieces before I tried to make magnetic hands an induction. I was doing this while he was standing and I managed an arm raise about halfway up. It took a while to get to that point. I started to feel like this phenomenon would be a hard nut to crack for me.

We then worked with his wife. I did the arm raise induction where you practice lifting the arm a couple of times. The last time I lifted it I let go of the arm and said it would remain hovering. Well hover it did. It continued to hover till it was way over her head. She was giggling through this. I then locked her hand to the table, easy peasy. Next I did an arm rise from her hands in her lap. I managed to get that up to her head and stuck it to her forehead. I finished with sticking her hands together in her lap and she couldn’t hand her phone to me. (I didn’t have any cash on me to have her try to grab)

It was a successful night but I knew I needed to get out of my comfort zone and practice on new people. Ryan and I are planning on walking around the flea market next weekend and practice on anyone who will stand still. We were thinking too hard about it and making obstacles that aren’t really there… like maybe we shouldn’t practice where so many people can see us, what should we wear, is a daytime venue a poor place to practice? All of that was simply from fear. None of that is going to get in the way now. We are going to go down there and be simply amazing. We may even steal a cucumber or two. Smile

I did learn a valuable lesson by rewatching Ant’s first induction on the Trilby Connection bonus disk. His arm rise wasn’t working quickly with that subject so he threw in some of the other set pieces using the other arm. Once I added this to my toolbox, I have really eliminated any fear I would have with having a subject this didn’t work on. The end result could go one of two ways, either the added set pieces would drive them ‘deeper’ into hypnosis and elicit the phenomena you were looking for or the added set pieces can be the entire experience and the subject will walk away not knowing that any phenomena failed.
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
819 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Ok, this stuff shouldn’t be working this well. Out of everyone in the room I am the most skeptical. I know I have a long way to go and am not getting cocky with my results, but it shouldn’t be this easy. I keep questioning whether the hypnotic phenomena I am seeing is simply my subjects faking it. It seems too good to be true.

Last night as I was leaving my kung fu class I was talking to two of my students and I mentioned hypnosis. They had seen my magic, but didn’t know I was doing hypnosis now. Well, I had to be The Hypnotist; I couldn’t tell them I started 3 weeks ago. So when they said they didn’t know I was doing hypnosis and asked how long I had been doing it I said “I’ve been doing it for a while … since it was an extension of my magic I took to it like a duck in water.” I asked them if they wanted to try it. I got two very excited yes’s.

They were very responsive in my initial framing and I knew I had picked 2 very good subjects. The fact that I am their teacher helped a lot; it gave me a lot of initial respect and clout. Also they had seen me perform magic before, so logically if I could do that then I could do hypnosis.

I started with magnetic fingers and Chad, a marine, went slower than his cousin Danielle. I feared he might be a tough subject. I then did magnetic hands, which worked better. From that point I left their eyes closed and did an arm rise. Both of their arms went up immediately and were above their heads in less than 2 seconds. I wondered if they misunderstood me and thought I had asked them to consciously hold their hands over their head. I then told them their hands were attracted to their foreheads by magnets. Chad’s hand stuck firm to his head. When I woke him up he could not budge it from his head. Danielle had a little more trouble. She was wearing a hat and she had to work her hand around the brim. This interrupt combined with the fact that only part of her hand could touch part of her forehead made it hard to stick. When I woke her back up she was able to remove her hand. I put her back under. I did a light and heavy hand skit with her that worked very well. I then stuck her arms in various positions and she could no longer move them. Chad started going down very deeply each time I put him back under. His head flopped forward immediately.

It was at this point I realized I didn’t have an audience. Everyone there was hypnotized. So I woke Danielle and allowed her to watch Chad, while she was stuck in her spot. I then elicited some elusive phenomena that I had initially been skeptical about. I changed a marine’s name to Jenny. This tough marine responded matter-of-factly that his name was Jenny when asked. I am doing somersaults in my mind at this time. I then took away the number 3 and watched how confused he got when he tried to count my fingers. He laughed and tried again. That second look of confusion was priceless. His reality had totally been altered.

I finished with sticking them where they stood and neither could move. I finished with the finial wakeup, tested that everything was back, and praised them for being such great subjects.

What an awesome high. I can’t wait till this weekend.
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
not a stupid user, a special user.
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
Quote:
On 2011-03-02 12:49, Chris Meece wrote:
Ok, this stuff shouldn’t be working this well..... it shouldn’t be this easy.

Why not? Smile
If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
819 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Quote:
On 2011-03-02 13:47, Owen Mc Ginty wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-03-02 12:49, Chris Meece wrote:
Ok, this stuff shouldn’t be working this well..... it shouldn’t be this easy.

Why not? Smile

Because my last name isn't Kenobi nor Skywalker.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Awesome post Chris. Thanks for taking the time to inspire others with your progress reports. Be Jedi. Did I send you the Obi Wan Routine - it was contributed by a RIP Reader and is in a supplement to my book. If not email me direct and I will send it to you. 'This is the routine you are looking for...'

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
It´s a lot easier than I originally thought. Had some awesome results in a bar on Monday night myself.
I just told the barman I was a hypnotist, he made an announcement and 5 minutes later a crowd was gathered around watching.
I´m also looking forward to the weekend Smile
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
This is an interesting "instructional journey", Chris please keep us informed as it has been a great thread so far.

I think it's cheating sticking your only audience to the spot, well it stops them leaving!

And nice to see the return of Mz Camelhumper III

(As much as I've tried, I just can't say that name without cracking up and so have to go for a lesser name.)
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
819 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Thanks guys. It has been a blast. I hope threads like this will demonstrate that these abilities are actually attainable and aren't simply pipe dreams.

I need to get some video footage of some of these initial inductions. I may try that this weekend, with the participant's permission. I know there will be some wannabe hypnotists reading this who are still skeptical or at least skeptical in their own ability to do this. Video could help alleviate this.

I agree, I need new names besides Camelhumper III. I have a hard enough time keeping a straight face with Jenny.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Yeah, her cousin Benny Camelhumper III made a brief appearance on Trilby Smile
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
Johannes Lindrupsen
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
110 Posts

Profile of Johannes Lindrupsen
Finally, I got some time to read trough the whole topic, and I just have to thank you, Chris!
This is a really great topic, and you are really inspiring me to work more with my hypnosis.
I myself haven't done hypnosis for a long time, and I have a hard time getting to practice a lot, because I have no idea how to start doing this on complete strangers.
Besides that, I would't have a lot to show, as I have only done easy tests like Eye lock, Falling Backwards, Falling Forwards and rising arm.

Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions on what I should do? Smile

-Johannes
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2011-03-02 16:46, Anthony Jacquin wrote:
Yeah, her cousin Benny Camelhumper III made a brief appearance on Trilby Smile

Indeed I have seen it! Smile

Can you please tell me, Ant, is Jenny and Benny your invention or where did it come from?

I think I will have to get to the point where they are just not hilarious to me any longer so that I can actually say them, but then I don't think I want to get to that stage. Cursed with a sense of humour!
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
Quote:
On 2011-03-02 17:12, Johannes Lindrupsen wrote:
Finally, I got some time to read trough the whole topic, and I just have to thank you, Chris!
This is a really great topic, and you are really inspiring me to work more with my hypnosis.
I myself haven't done hypnosis for a long time, and I have a hard time getting to practice a lot, because I have no idea how to start doing this on complete strangers.
Besides that, I would't have a lot to show, as I have only done easy tests like Eye lock, Falling Backwards, Falling Forwards and rising arm.

-Johannes

Next time you meet some new people, introduce yourself as a (part time) hypnotist. Then wait to see who takes the bait - who starts asking you questions, and seems interested. Then do your pretests. You can then decide if you want to take it any further. The only thing stopping you from getting out there and doing it is you.
So get out of your own way and go and do it! Smile (fear of failure held me back for WAY too long) Smile
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
819 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Quote:
On 2011-03-02 17:12, Johannes Lindrupsen wrote:

-Johannes

Johannes,

You are very welcome. I would venture many people who watch Anthony Jacquin’s material or material from other fine hypnotists on these forums, think the techniques would be impossible for them. Yes, it works for these gentlemen because they are all polished but I’ll never be able to do that. Absolute hogwash. If you go out there, assume the role of The Hypnotist, and use these techniques, you will be successful.

You can’t halfway try being a hypnotist. You need to make up your mind that you are The Hypnotist. Everyone you pass is dying to see how amazing you are. You never meet anyone who can’t be hypnotized.

I would definitely recommend The Trilby Connection if you want to fast track your success. This is what I used. On this collection you get to watch Anthony teach a beginner how to hypnotize. You get to watch her initial attempts and then see Anthony’s critiques. On the second DVD you get to see Anthony and Kev break down several complete real world scenarios. What a gold mine.

Here are the two stranger introductions I have been playing with:

1) “You look like an energetic group. I’m Chris, I’m a hypnotist.”

2) “Hey guys, how are you doing? I’m Chris. I’m entertaining people today with magic, mentalism, and hypnosis. Would you like to try something?”

And then …

“Have you ever been hypnotized before? What do you think hypnosis is?”

That should get the ball rolling. Find what works for you. But don’t be weak about it. Definitely don’t let them know that they are the first few people you have hypnotized. You can pretty much kiss your chances goodbye with that comment. They have to believe that you are a hypnotist.

I have been reciting my scripts a lot in my daily commute. Of course I want my delivery to be smooth and without hesitation, but this isn’t my main reason for the practice. My most important asset is my confidence. I can stumble through my words a little and still hypnotize them if I am confident enough. I practice for my sake, not my listeners.

I’ve got James Tripp’s material on order, Hypnosis without Trance and plan on playing with it as well. Anthony references James’s work on his DVD. Here is an awesome approach that James uses with family and friends:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmYTmS9mKWI
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
819 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Johannes,

Another note. I would spend some time reading some of the older threads on here. I am picking up a lot of nuggets in doing so. There is a lot of wisdom from years of experience in there.

I hope nothing I said above came off as me thinking I know something now. I am very much a beginner but wanted to share what was working for me.
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
819 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
I would love to have a critique of my initial approach and introduction. I posted a private video on youtube. I apologize for the darkness, I filmed this as soon as I got home and the sun was setting. I am going to be approaching complete strangers this weekend and hypnotizing them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqbP57qlQ-0
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
819 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
819 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Week 4 Results:

What I learned this week:
1) Never decide for your participant whether their experience was good or not
2) I never have to have a failure
3) Hypnosis gathers a crowd much better than magic
4) You have to eliminate your personal space issues

Friday night I managed to get some practice in at the movie theater. (I saw Unknown with Liam Neeson, great movie) I went through several pieces with the 17 year old son and wife of a buddy of mine who manages the theater. They did very well. The hand stick on the forehead didn't work for his son. Later I stuck his hand on the table which did work. However, afterwards I asked him about it and he said he tried to pull his hand up but not with all his might. I don't want that to happen again so from now on I want to really sell the fact that his hand is stuck. I am surprised with his saying this because I even asked him to use his other hand to help lift the stuck hand.

While working with these two I had a gentleman come out to buy some popcorn who stopped and watched the 'show.' He seemed to really enjoy it; he asked me several questions about it when I was done. I answered a couple and then I apologized for keeping him from his movie. He told me that this was much more entertaining. He then said he would give me 20 dollars right now if I could make him stop smoking. I was thinking, if I could manage to make you stop smoking you would be giving me a lot more than 20 dollars. I explained to him that he would need to see a hypnotherapist for that and it would take more than one session. I told him I only do this for entertainment. I asked him if he wanted to try this. I started with magnetic fingers, which he responded to. Next we did magnetic hands and he was going nowhere with it .. absolutely nowhere. I finally pulled his hands down and told him to sleep, he stood there sheepishly grinning with his eyes open. I then attempted fingers locked on card. Well, he managed to drop the card. Things just weren't going as well as I had hoped, however I kept telling him how good he was doing. Next came a strong learning point for me. I thought the experience had went pretty sour. I thanked him for his participation and was going to be on my way. He then asked me if I did parties. After what I thought was a failure, in his mind he had experienced enough that he wanted to hire me. I turned down the request due to my inexperience and the fact that it was a birthday party for his 12 year old.

My next post will have our excursion to the flea market detailed ...
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Is it possible that the '17 year old son' was just being a teenager 'I could have moved it if I had wanted to!' ?

Sadly we can't always pick and chose people when starting out as if we could it would always be a group of people and move on with the best, whilst not bothering with the problematic ones. That is the problem with 'ones and twos' we may get lucky but then again we might not.

Also in a more formal situation there is more time to try different approaches with a one on one.

As for the 12 year old party, that is the reason I gave up magic! I have never come across remotely as an entertainment suitable for children's parties (Not that I do blue stuff) but that didn't stop them thinking that I would be delighted to turn into Mr Bubbles and look after their children for 30 minutes. And all for a tenth of what I charge.

As for the hypnosis try and 'arrange' to got to a social party (or throw one yourself) where there will be lots more people, but you are not booked as the hypnotist. Loads of punters and no pressure.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2011-03-05 00:52, Chris Meece wrote:
Let me retry that link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2GIbABwDB8

WOW! Love that accent! (Seriouly not taking the P, I just love accents!)

A very warm and friendly accent and approach.
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
819 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
On Sunday afternoon Ryan and I went to the flea market to get some practice in. The prospects were looking thin. I wasn't really looking forward to approaching anyone because the few I saw there didn't look like the 'entertianable type.' I decided to cheat. I started with some magic first. I did Bob Sheet's 'It's the Rules' dice routine for a stall owner. While doing this I had a guy getting a kick out of watching it from the aisle. When I finished he had walked away. I managed to run into him a few stalls down and commented on the fact that I saw he had been enjoying my magic. I mentioned my hypnosis and asked if he and his wife would like to give it a try. They were very enthusiastic. I did the usual few set pieces and faltered on sticking the hand to the forehead. A small crowd had formed and I could tell they were very self conscious of people watching them. I finished with the stiff arm and Calof's eye lock pieces so as to not end on a 'failure.' They were very happy with the results.

Later I grabbed a group of 3 in a stall that sold DVDs. Once again, I did the usual set pieces. Then something magical happened. While doing magnetic hands I glanced to my left and saw that the entire front of the stall was full of people trying to see. I couldn't see everybody, but there were a few rows clambering to watch. This is like crack to a performer. Who knew that having a few people standing with their hands out would grab such a crowd. If this whole hypnosis thing doesn't work out for me in the future I am going to simply ask random people to hold their hands out so I can gather a crowd for my magic. Smile The 3 did well and I found the gal in the group did the best. I stuck her in several positions.

As I was leaving a gal who was running another stall stopped me and was asking about hypnosis. I asked her if she wanted to try it and she recoiled like I was a snake. She said 'Not now .. I want to wait till my husband is here. He runs the stall behind me.' One of the guys I had hypnotized was standing there and told her to try magnetic fingers .. told her they would automatically go together. I was cringing when he was explaining all this but she tried it before I had interjected. Her fingers started coming together and she yanked her hands apart with a small scream. She said she totally wants to try it but will feel safer when her husband is there. I promised to come back sometime. She will be building anticipation in the meantime and I believe will be a star participant.

I see some areas I could use some training in. When I am working with more than a couple of people I am not sure about how to manage all of them. I feel like one of those Chinese plate spinners, running back and forth. I now see the value in the suggestion of telling the spectators that I will touch them on the shoulder when I am talking to them. They have no idea who you are addressing if their eyes are closed and in your excitement you have forgotten their names. I also want to learn how to engage the spectators more .. make it a better show for them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » New to hypnosis, my instructional journey (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL