The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Black Art Backdrop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
In your experience, what is the ideal cloth material for a black art backdrop?

[A Black One! - Just thought, I'd beat the wiseguys to the punch.]

Now, seriously, what is the ideal cloth material for a black art backdrop? Velvet, velour, cotton, felt...?
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
I use two layers of Lycra. Works like a charm. Velvet is fine, also, but I like the stretchy qualities of Lycra.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Well what d'ya know? There's a Black Art Section I've never noticed before! My, this Café has its twists and turns! Smile

Thanks, Fabio. I would never have thought of trying a matte Lycra - interesting possibilities there.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
coachc
View Profile
Regular user
WV
130 Posts

Profile of coachc
Triple velvet
the levitator
View Profile
Special user
Spellbound Productions
546 Posts

Profile of the levitator
I've been using heavy black velveteen for almost a decade now. I built my own backdrop system out of PVC, so for my backdrops, we simply sewed a piece of black felt to one end of the heavy black velveteen that is the same size (mine are cut to 9'). When it's time to set up, we simply throw the felt end over our PVC crossbar, and we have velcro tabs to connect the sections of velveteen together. It was incredibly inexpensive. The PVC for my 9'x20' backdrop was less than $50, and each section of black Velveteen was around $50 (I got a big batch of it on sale at Hancock Fabrics). I can set up this backdrop in just a few minutes,and I've even created 2 side scrims that can be up to 10' wide. Back in Wisconsin, we even had a front curtain made our of heavy red felt.

I love the look of the heavy black velveteen, and I like the versatility of the PVC, both in how adaptable it is for each performing environment, and in how easy it is to use with BA panels. )
"It's all in your head...."

James Anthony
www.jamesanthonymagic.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I bought a bolt of Triple Velvet. It's the best ever!
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Black Art Backdrop (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL