The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Steeplechase with coin in CP (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Profile of mavericklancer
I've been working on being able to do a steeplechase while holding out a coin in classic palm, but haven't gotten anywhere with it. The coin keeps slipping out when I us my thumb to shuttle the coin from my pinky back up to my index finger. Maybe I'm classic palming in the wrong place? Any suggestions are most welcome.
PetePennekett
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of PetePennekett
What size coin are you trying it with? For me it's easier with a half dollar than with a dollar.

Also at what stage of the thumb movement does the coin fall? If it's when you move your thumb towards the pinky it could be that the coin is too large, if it's when it moves back the coin could be too small. I guess ultimately you'll want to do it with any coin but for the sake of initial practice it's probably worth finding the 'optimum' size.

Cheers,

~ Pete.
Orb
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Orb
You need to learn to make your thumb, and the flesh connected to your thumb (your... thumb... palm? ..!) two different entities. This also allows you to have a quite flat CP, because the flesh uses very little movement, while your thumb is relatively very free.

An efficient way of practicing this is by stretching your hand as much as you possible can, and then place the coin is CP position, now try to hold it there with as little movement from your thumb and the flesh connected to your thumb as possible. Now turn your palm down, and move your thumb back and forth continiously, as if possessed by a vile demon.

This should efficiently build up enough muscle memory for your hand to be able to keep the coin in CP and still move freely (free enough for it to go to your pinky, grab the coin, and put it right back to the index, where it belongs).

This is the technique I use as well to improve my CP, I needed the freedom to clasic palm 4 coins and still do a coin roll with a fifth, and then do some basic pen spinning. Also if you're a Giacomo Bertini fan, you're going to need all the help improving your CP you can get, god knows...

I hope this is useful to you, good luck!
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1679 Posts

Profile of mystre71
I just tried this out, and I can do it, but need to either apply more pressure from my thumb and use less thumb movement. OR, while your thumb is setting up to start the steeplechase, you can use your 3rd and 4th finger to hold the coin in place, then re-cp the coin as needed.

Is there a routine or a reason you want to do this? Have you checked out Kainoa's work on the Steeplechase while EGing coins?

Best,
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

I'm using a half dollar. And from my most recent practice session, it seems that my thumb is sort of pushing the coin towards my pinky, making it slip out as I go to retrieve the coin at the bottom of the roll.

And Orb, your technique sounds interesting. I'll give that a try, along with Marion's CP exercise. I thought I had a pretty decent CP since I can get my hand pretty flat , but it seems like I'm going to have to up my practice.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4840 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Keep working on it! I started doing it in 1985! Smile And have a coin roll change in my coinjurering book! (1987) So it is possable!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
PetePennekett
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of PetePennekett
Orb's response has put me to shame it seems! Nonetheless I would say that your thumb may need to come lower and then push the coin up into the pinky side of the hand as it collects the rolled coin, rather than coming straight across.

~ Pete.
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
I still working on this too. It is a bit tricky. When doing it single handed my middle finger makes contact with the coin in cp as my thumb pushes the coin around the first finger. With out doing that I would lose the coin out of cp.
Wes
Orb
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Orb
I'd also like to stress what Pete said, the size of the coin is very important! I can hardly coin roll a dollar sized coin at all, while Ponta the Smith does it flawlessly, and I doubt his hands are any bigger. I wonder though if he would coin roll a half dollar any better/equally good?. I would guess that's a whole new thing to practice!
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Hey Maverick,

It may not sound like great advice but all I can say is keep trying. It will come eventually. It's one of those things that just clicks one day and you'll wonder why you ever had a problem. It took me a long time to get it but now it seems easy. I think it helps the classic palm no end. That was my reason for learnIng it. Now I can confidently pick up and handle things without having to give a thought to the coin falling.

Kind regards
Sean
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2341 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
I like to coin roll a 3" jumbo Morgan. It's not too bad if you have average hands or larger.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
MattWMagic
View Profile
New user
Issaquah, WA
23 Posts

Profile of MattWMagic
Yeah that's a tough move
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Quote:
On 2011-02-20 19:25, Douglas Lippert wrote:
I like to coin roll a 3" jumbo Morgan. It's not too bad if you have average hands or larger.

Sort of tough to classic palm.
Wes
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5323 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:

Oh man, I have enough trouble with normal size coins... I hope this is a facetious statement!

Thanks!

Jim
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8694 Posts

Profile of harris
Ah that reminds me of the first time I saw Albert Goshman. As I recall(it was back in 1974 or 75) he said that you had a good c/p when you could accomplish what you are seeking in the coin steeple chase. Try different coins (as mentioned) as well as try your non-dominant hand.

A few years ago, the Linking Ring published a nearly normal coin exercise, using different sized USA coins. From a half dollar, quarter...down to a dime, were produced following steeple chase in the same hand. First a half was rolled set down, then a quarter was "produced", coin rolled ..then a nickel....the last one was a dime.

If it was easy everyone would do it.

Harris cdo deutsch
cdo is a bit like OCD, but alphabetized
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Thanks for all of the input, guys. I was beginning to think I was the only one who ever had trouble with this.
PetePennekett
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of PetePennekett
Quote:
On 2011-02-20 22:12, Wes65 wrote:
Quote:

Sort of tough to classic palm.

It's not quite the same but I've just had a go at coin rolling a dollar while palming a jumbo coin - It's sort of doable by switching the jumbo between tenkai and lateral palms but I can't work out how to collect the coin after each roll...

Fun to try anyway!

~ Pete.
FuManChu
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of FuManChu
Also you may try (for further training) to do the coinroll while haveing one coin in cp and one in curl palm (in middle finger). After the roll push the coin that was in curl palm up to do the coin roll and the other coin is placed in curl palm. Maybe used as colorchange?

To be honest I can`t do that. But I am playing with it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Steeplechase with coin in CP (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL