The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Matrix (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

silent shadow
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
231 Posts

Profile of silent shadow
This is the trick that made Al Schneider a legend but did he invent it? I'm very interested to know this, I'm starting out with coins this week and am interested in the history and origins of this effect.

regards

Jason
Magic or just an illusion? it's a free choice .... isn't it?
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3058 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
The story seems to be that he worked on the sympathetic coins plot for a long time, and found that on the final vanish of the traditional Yank Ho version (where the final covered coin travels) he was getting the strongest reaction, and so he decided to up the routine from two cards to four to see if that helped. The overall Matrix strategy resulted soon afterwards.
A screed for scams, sorcery, and other shenanigans... Nu Way Magick Blogge

JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
silent shadow
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
231 Posts

Profile of silent shadow
Thanks Andrew,

I shall read up on Yank Ho too, I have just ordered The Al Schneider Technique Close-up Dvd and I look forward to watching this version performed, I have seen Gerry Griffin close up on the matrix though and he done a super job on it I thought.

Ja
Magic or just an illusion? it's a free choice .... isn't it?
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Dean Dill's work on this is pretty thorough as well. His Extreme Dean DVDs have some excellent versions of this plot, using both gaffed and non-gaffed coins. It's one of my favorite routines in coin magic, and I learned it from Dean himself. Definitely worth a look to see the different variations out there. This is a fun one to explore!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
manreb
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of manreb
Silent shadow

Al Schneider is given credit for using for cards and for coins. Credit is usually the equivalent of inventing.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4840 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
And if your looking for more work on it! I Have around 75-80 handleings or so! Smile 4 cards,2 cards, 1 card,
and no cards! Smile Backfire, reverse, Vanishing,and changeing!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
manreb
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of manreb
I can atest to David's work. At GGG III I sat in front of him as he performed variation on Matix, chink a chink etc for about three hours. But I think what stund us all was his his 4 ace assembly concluding with four solid card blocks, can't remember the name.
alibaba
View Profile
Loyal user
Hawaii
280 Posts

Profile of alibaba
Al Schneider wrote two articles in Genii (Feb and March 2000) about the matrix. I believe he claims to have developed it as a teenager (sitting on his bed). I you have access to the Genii archives you may want to check this out.
I'm as real as you think I am
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
There are some great versions of matrix out there. I particularly like hayashi and Dean dills versions. But IMO the original Al Schneider version is still the best. He also goes over some nice variations on the DVD you have ordered.

Kind regards
Sean
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4840 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi Manreb,
It's called Fusion Aces! And Thanks! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27096 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-02-18 18:54, silent shadow wrote:
This is the trick that made Al Schneider a legend but did he invent it? ...

Four coins, four cards, one-ahead, cards cover coins so he can't touch them to make the trick work - yes it's his.

Not sure the routine made Al a legend. I'd say it was much more his commitment to design routines where the magic speaks for itself in ways audiences can easily appreciate that helped others in our group come to appreciate him and his work. Look at his "snap back" vanish (basis of my retention to EG sleight) and his coins across with its use of the pop-up sleight for other examples of his work which have effected the works of others in a positive way. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of plungerman
I was lucky enough to meet Al at the Coin Seminar some years ago. There he handed out a DVD with some of his material on it. I had read the books some time ago and learned quite a bit of it.

Watching the DVD some time later I was suprised that it contained quick demonstrations of most all the material in his coin book. Even with being very familiar with the material and very very! familiar with performing and watching coin magic for so many years Al's domonstration of his stuff suprized me and fooled me completley and utterly. It always looked as if he was just showing you how he was going to cover, or hold the coin and then...it's gone! Where was the move? What move? No move, no where! It was magic! I've been at this x0+ years, and I've still never been so badly fooled by stuff I knew!

Way to go Al!

Elliot
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5948 Posts

Profile of motown
I've always liked Mike Powers International Matrix Reverse.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
mago.niko
View Profile
Loyal user
Athens, Greece
286 Posts

Profile of mago.niko
I also learned the matrix from Al Schneider's "Technique" series. From all the matrix routines I have seen, I believe that this is the most authentic. But the one I prefer is by Giacomo Bertini. He names it Florentine assembly and it's pretty similar to Al Schneider's but it ends with a GREAT finale.
Searching for the magic side of life...
MattWMagic
View Profile
New user
Issaquah, WA
23 Posts

Profile of MattWMagic
Its a very nice routine
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Matrix (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL