The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Blaine Mind Reading Deck review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
booswain
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of booswain
I picked this up yesterday at Target for 3.99. First this is made in the USA by Uspcc and is a revision of Davids Split Spade design. Basically it is edited for young users. For example topless statue on one of the cards is now covered. While this deck is not the same quality as the normal split spades it is good quality and shuffles and handles well. This deck is basically a marked deck. The quality in my mind is the instruction booklet. It starts with a brief message from David Blaine about how he got started in magic as a kid and encouraging young could be magicians. Then there is an introduction by Joshua Jay. There are nine effects explained in the well made booklet that comes with the deck. There are photos to illustrate each trick. The booklet also teaches a basic card force. I was also impressed with the crediting. 30 plus magi are acknowledged. Paul Harris and Ted Lesley are also credited with the marked deck owing much to their work. The booklet ends with three statements.
1 never tell the secret
2 practice diligently so that you respectfully represent the tricks you perform the magic community and yourself
3 perform for others and spread the mystery wherever you go

While a professional magician probably would not use them they are cool to me as a hobbiest. I also believe they would be wonderful for anyone young and old who is interested in magic.

Oh and I forgot that the deck includes a couple of nice gaffed cards.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2011-02-19 09:51, booswain wrote:
I picked this up yesterday at Target for 3.99. First this is made in the USA by Uspcc and is a revision of Davids Split Spade design. Basically it is edited for young users. For example topless statue on one of the cards is now covered. While this deck is not the same quality as the normal split spades it is good quality and shuffles and handles well. This deck is basically a marked deck. The quality in my mind is the instruction booklet. It starts with a brief message from David Blaine about how he got started in magic as a kid and encouraging young could be magicians. Then there is an introduction by Joshua Jay. There are nine effects explained in the well made booklet that comes with the deck. There are photos to illustrate each trick. The booklet also teaches a basic card force. I was also impressed with the crediting. 30 plus magi are acknowledged. Paul Harris and Ted Lesley are also credited with the marked deck owing much to their work. The booklet ends with three statements.
1 never tell the secret
2 practice diligently so that you respectfully represent the tricks you perform the magic community and yourself
3 perform for others and spread the mystery wherever you go

While a professional magician probably would not use them they are cool to me as a hobbiest. I also believe they would be wonderful for anyone young and old who is interested in magic.

Oh and I forgot that the deck includes a couple of nice gaffed cards.


USPCC has started doing this with all their trick decks, I believe.

My last bicycle stripper came with bonus red double back and a red/blue double back. No routines but still a nice little freebie.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
trouser
View Profile
New user
Texas
82 Posts

Profile of trouser
I recently picked one up myself. I've always only used red/blue Angel-backs for my card tricks. To be honest, I'm not sure how much mileage I'll get with this new Blaine deck since the design doesn't necessarily lend itself to be seen instantly as an "ordinary" deck of playing cards. The gaff looks a little too obvious for me. Upon taking them out of the box for the first time it seemed to stick out like a sore thumb. I agree that it is better suited to a hobbyist.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10624 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-02-19 10:32, trouser wrote:
I recently picked one up myself. I've always only used red/blue Angel-backs for my card tricks. To be honest, I'm not sure how much mileage I'll get with this new Blaine deck since the design doesn't necessarily lend itself to be seen instantly as an "ordinary" deck of playing cards. The gaff looks a little too obvious for me. Upon taking them out of the box for the first time it seemed to stick out like a sore thumb. I agree that it is better suited to a hobbyist.


Sore thumb - No I diagree. The gaff is always easier to spot when you know for sure the deck is ma***d and know where to look. The ne Blain cards are well done - espcially for the price. As long as the magi doesn't stare the cards down then these work beautifully.

There are a numbee of prior post reviewing these:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=203&21
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
The marking system used is very highly regarded.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
madcats9
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of madcats9
Perfect marked deck! Nobody ever spotted the markings and layman don't care about the back of the card deck beeing split spades and not standard bicycle. Normal people don't care for such things.
trouser
View Profile
New user
Texas
82 Posts

Profile of trouser
I haven't used it yet and I've been kind of hesitant. But you all have convinced me that maybe it's worth running around with. Thanks Smile
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10624 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-02-19 15:12, trouser wrote:
I haven't used it yet and I've been kind of hesitant. But you all have convinced me that maybe it's worth running around with. Thanks Smile


There are many good books on using a deck like this - I would highly recommend the Ultimate Marked Deck companion book. I bought it last year and it is brilliant and has many great ideas and routines. Penguin sells it. Can't recommend any higher. There is a PATEO routine with 5-7 cards that I love to use - so easy- blows people away. The Blaine cards would be perfect for anything in this brilliat book with illustrations and smart thinking.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1891 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Is this deck EASY to read? My sight is not great and I need one that I can glance at fast and not have to look up and down the card.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Unfortunately, it will likely be a case of you needing to actually look at a deck to be certain. Eyesight can be such a subjective area. On the fortunate side, one of these decks is not an expensive investment.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10624 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Yes $4.00 at Target.

These types of decks are usually good for an arms length read without too working hard. Try one and worst case you can use the deck for your next guys poker night!
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Hmmm, the backs of these decks are not "ordinary" - ok - Everybody send all you Bee Stingers,Tally Ho Circle and Fan backs to me. no rush. just start packing them up. and might as well throw in those Magic Maker colored decks. Hey you there, yea the one holding that Bicycle Tetra deck - throw it over and those too, noo not the Ghost deck, those new fangled Bee Cambric Finish Acorn backs.Thanks. Arrcos? naw, they look suspicious to me.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10624 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-02-19 23:31, rklew64 wrote:
Hmmm, the backs of these decks are not "ordinary" - ok - Everybody send all you Bee Stingers,Tally Ho Circle and Fan backs to me. no rush. just start packing them up. and might as well throw in those Magic Maker colored decks. Hey you there, yea the one holding that Bicycle Tetra deck - throw it over and those too, noo not the Ghost deck, those new fangled Bee Cambric Finish Acorn backs.Thanks. Arrcos? naw, they look suspicious to me.


Yes they aren't Bikes - so?

Are Bikes the definition of ordinary?

These don't look like purple/red magic makers so poor comparison there. I honestly don't think spectators care.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
356 Posts

Profile of Loopback
For the price I have wanted to check a deck out but have yet to find them at any of the Target's around town.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Yes, in my area these cards were nowhere to be found.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
sieler
View Profile
New user
Cupertino, CA
63 Posts

Profile of sieler
Slyhand asks: Is this deck EASY to read? My sight is not great and I need one that I can glance at fast and not have to look up and down the card.

It depends upon your eyesight. I'm nearsighted, with 58-year old eyes, and I can't read the gaffes at a normal performance distance. But then, that's true for
all such decks for me Smile

My optometrist says she could probably give me a prescription for glasses that would work for me (for performance use only),
but I haven't tried that yet ... because I don't want to reveal the gaff to her! (Which would probably be necessary during
the eye exam.)

Are there any magician optometrists in the S.F. Bay Area?

Stan
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5964 Posts

Profile of motown
I'm going to have to check the Target near me to see if they have them.

What other types of decks is he doing.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10624 Posts

Profile of saysold1
There is also a Svengali and Stripper - all with nice routines and well written instructions.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3257 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
The fact that Target is selling them is a little discerning. They may be a little too well known.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Blaine Mind Reading Deck review (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL