The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Modern art - how hard to build (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
Hmmm, the title pretty much sums it up... .

I haven't looked at the plans lately, and will be digging out the book when I get off the computer.

But for those who have built a modern art, how would you rate building the prop? hard? easy? or probably somewhere in between?

thanks

-scott
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I don't think any Illusion should be easy to build. You should take your time and put as much craftsmanship into it as you can. That being said, as Stage Illusions go the Modern Art is not that difficult of a build.
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
Eldon, thanks. I feel the same way about about the time and craftsmanship.
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
I think it is around 2 to 3 times harder than Zig Zag, because Zig Zag is square and Modern Art has those angled sides, top and table curves.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Modern Art involves the cutting and fitting of curved sheet metal and some angle cuts of plywood, but it is not at all impossible. Other than that, the construction is pretty much straightforward, if you have experience in cabinetry. For me, it was a fun project.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
Thanks again for the replys guys.

I did dig out my modern art book... shouldn't be too hard. Except, the idea I have is a bit more complicated than a standard MA. But may not be too much more difficult. I just need to decide if the changes are necessarily good changes, and not just changes for the sake of changing... I think that made sense??? lol.
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Quote:
On 2011-02-21 11:42, sb wrote:

I did dig out my modern art book... shouldn't be too hard. Except, the idea I have is a bit more complicated than a standard MA. But may not be too much more difficult. I just need to decide if the changes are necessarily good changes, and not just changes for the sake of changing... I think that made sense??? lol.

Can you share what you want to change??
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2011-02-21 11:42, sb wrote:

Not saying that there are not some changes that can be made, but this is a proven, well-thought-out illusion. Just make sure that what you are considering is truly an improvement, and not just something different for the sake of being different...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
Exactly what I thought!

;)
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
There is another thread on here somewhere of someone who had built this. They posted progress pictures and commentary. You might want to check that thread out.....
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Modern art - how hard to build (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL