The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Need a USP for Kids Shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Norden
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, BC
56 Posts

Profile of Norden
Hello KIDabra members!

I am looking for something new to add to the 'deluxe' style show I do for kids.

Other performers in my area have a USP it seems and it helps them. I have been doing this for 15 years and my USP is ME - great show, good price, lots of fun.

Another friend does the 'giant balloon' where he put the bday child in along with his own son who he does the show with. I was at his house the other night and I called a client back - she said she was going to talk to her husband. 10 minutes later she phoned my friend - he did his sales pitch (kinda funny right in front of each other) and our prices are about the same. I was $10 more than him.

Granted he brings a live dove, his son, backdrop, sound system, and the giant balloon. I also have been doing it longer and won the children's local award 5 years in a row.

The client said she would talk to her husband. Neither of us closed the sale. I followed up with an email as she had wanted her son 'cut in half' - I offered to include that in the show (using a comedy rope method). Well today she booked my buddy.

Thinking about all this I decided I need something in my 'deluxe' show that stands out. Something like a chair suspension (but not) or perhaps the Fantasy magician (but already done by a few) or having a live rabbit (no thanks).

I want it to pack small but of course play big (like Fantasy Magician).

Any thought folks??

Mike Norden
http://www.magicshows.ca
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
493 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Hi Mike,

maybe every child should get a dvd about how to learn magic tricks. I know out of experience that at least in germany kids (and adults) really like to get such a dvd.

Show them great magic tricks and give them big fun and your love - I guess that is the best USP - really YOU, not your price or something else.

Best wishes

Daniel
amazingvijay
View Profile
Loyal user
N. California Bay Area
230 Posts

Profile of amazingvijay
I don't know what a USP is but I do know that the chair suspension works very well and some customers want to see something "big" or "special".

Vijay
N California Bay Area magician
http://www.amazingvijay.com
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
493 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
USP means "Unique Selling Proposition" or "Unique Selling Point" - something others don´t have or offer.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
We look at our shows critically in terms of the "stuff" we have, but I seriously doubt whether a potential customer cares whether you make several trips out to your car to drag in props, or show up with a suitcase in hand ready to start the show. I think in these economic times the real "USP" is that the other guy charges $10 less than you do. As usual, this is my personal opinion, so don't let that stop you from buying your heart's desire in magic props.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
My USP is that I bring along a talking dog. I am not a great vent, but they love the dog. It gets me shows, and it packs small.
Norden
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, BC
56 Posts

Profile of Norden
Hi folks!

Yes - sorry - a USp is a 'Unique Selling Point'. Something I can offer that no one else is doing.

I give a DVD out to the Birthday child - yes, but again so are about 10 others in my market.

I have Ginn's dog puppet and do that , along with Risley's rabbit in the hat, for which I am fairly known for.

I am not looking for another trick or even an illusion to add - what I am looking for is something that parents who are hiring me go - WOW - I MUST have THAT guy! No others are doing THAT!

A live animal would help, but again about 6 others have that.

One friend does the giant balloon and it sells well. Perhpas what I am looking for is suggestions OUTSIDE of the magic box. Something that is not really magic but fits into the show - that way I would be the ONLY magician doing it type thing? Any ideas?

Mike
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I'm going to say something a little controversial.

I don't think that positive booking decisions (for birthday shows) have to be about what you do / your stuff (your USP), or having the lowest price. Unless that is the only sorting criteria left to them, after talking to several entertainers.

I think the key has a lot to do with how excited you can make the customer feel during your conversation. It's about THEIR emotions towards YOU.

It's dependent upon rapport during the conversation. Connecting with them. Being genuinely interested in them. Being likeable.

And it's dependent upon your enthusiasm.

And it's dependent on your ability to describe your show in a way that captivates their attention & imagination. Perhaps describing a trick, etc.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
I'd have to agree with Donald. The one thing I would add is -- make the caller laugh. If I'm talking to a birthday Mom(usually a mom) that has the ultimate authority to make the buying decision and I can maker her laugh a couple times, the show is as good as sold. If, on the other hand, she doesn't laugh, the chances are great that the call will end in a no-sale.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I've also heard of Scott's tip about making the birthday Mom laugh during the sales conversation. It's a good approach. First time I heard about it years ago, it was attributed to T Myers, from his book "Life on the Living Room Circuit."

- Donald
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
How about being the easiest to deal with?
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Good suggestions by others but, you right, you probably do need to look outside what others are doing.

Pick one:

1. Provide the cake.

2. Give the birthday child a magic set.

3. Video the party and give them a copy.

4. Give a free gift certificate to McDonalds, etc.

5. Paint the house the next day.

Tom
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
I have to agree with Donald too. It all depends on how you sell yourself. I have found that possible clients just want to know that they are hiring the right person for the job. I had someone tell me that the difference between me and the other guy is ...me. Review how you sale your show, when we are on the phone with clients we are selling our selfs to them, and see how best you can improve your presentation. You'll be surprised at the difference that will make in booking gigs. You'll find that clients will book you on the first call. Yes make her laugh, if you smile on the phone they feel it on the other end.
Life of Magic!
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I completely agree that it is more about "how" you selling the show.

When it comes down to it, most magic shows are all about the same.

But still, he needs to "feel" that he is offering something different, and the
reason I say he may need to look/add something outside of magic is.
He needs the confidence that his business is different. Without it, he will never sell it.

I'm guessing, from reading his post, that he feels like with everybody the same, the market is full.
He needs to step away from the rest, if nothing but within his mind, to be able to sell it better.

Tom
Norden
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, BC
56 Posts

Profile of Norden
Ok,

So - it was not the $10 difference. I followed up and offered the balloon twisting for free - so I became $10 less than Gord.

It was not the phone call - both of us where funny and both of us made her laugh. Remember - we were in the SAME room when we both talked to her.

She even asked me 'Do you do a giant balloon?' - she booked him over me due to his USP. Simple.

What I a looking for is an idea of a USP for the 'deluxe' show. Something others are not doing!

I give away a magic wand, I have a DVD, I do a puppet routine, I send a parent pack, I have my own activity book, I give away a magic set, I have a coloring sheet - etc.

All these are great ideas folks - don't me wrong - I apprecaite the feedback. But I was looking more for a brainstorm of ideas that are different. Perhaps I am naive here - becasue if any of you have a good one why would you share it right? HA! Smile
Norden
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, BC
56 Posts

Profile of Norden
I'm guessing, from reading his post, that he feels like with everybody the same, the market is full.
He needs to step away from the rest, if nothing but within his mind, to be able to sell it better.

Tom
[/quote]

Hi Tom,

I don't go online here very much so that is a fair assessment I guess.

No, I am confident in my product. I am in the top 3, if not the top, children's entertainer in my area.

I have been doing it for 12 year and you can check me out at http://www.magicshows.ca

My friend has been doing it around 5 years. It is just interesting that I LOST the show purely on him having SOMETHING I could not offer. I overflow bookings to HIM - so we had a good laugh to see who would get the show. I was shocked I lost it - that is how confident I was.

It made me think and now in order to try to corner more of the market I am looking for something unique to offer my clients. So they go 'We need that guy!'.

Some options I would think are:

Live animal (done too much)
Vent (done by one friend)
Giant Balloon (he would kill me Smile
Illusion - like chair suspension - not my thing
Fantasy Magician - but does not always go perfect

Just trying to get some more clever ideas....thanks!
Norden
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, BC
56 Posts

Profile of Norden
Quote:
On 2011-02-21 15:02, ColinDymond wrote:
How about being the easiest to deal with?

Yes - that works wonders for getting booked - could not agree more!! Thanks Colin!
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Norden,

You do have a nice site. Thanks for the link.

Wasn't trying to make you sound like a beginner. Just that we all do at times
start to question our own product. That's a good thing, it's how we make it better.

Sometimes just telling folks you different is enough to get their attention.

I still say, offering a little something outside of magic is a good idea.
Keep thinking. It will come.

Tom
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
While it's important to analyze how our selling is working for us, I think that it's also important not to get too worked up when you lose a sale. Unless you tend to lose a lot of sales.

Customers book our shows for a variety of personal reasons. And we rarely have the opportunity to ask them their real reason for making the booking, or not making the booking. Remember, even if they seem to express one reason on the surface, that might not be the actual reason.

So if we try to fix one "problem" (in this case, a better USP to compete with a giant balloon, rabbit, vent character, chair suspension, etc.), it might be that we are only fixing the problem towards one small segment of show prospects.

- Donald

P.S. Some other USPs that I haven't seen mentioned on this thread, that have been mentioned on others at some time or another:

- personalized trick with the bday child's photo
- using Cube Squared Illusion in the home, with the bday child
- Giant multi-balloon sculptures (not balloon houses) as prizes, or just for the bday child
- Win-win party games, where nice things are said about the bday child
- Magic class / magic workshop, as an alternate to a magic show, or in addition to a magic show
- Lots of stuff given to just the bday child (not just a magic kit and / or DVD)
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On 2011-02-21 12:21, Scott O. wrote:
I'd have to agree with Donald. The one thing I would add is -- make the caller laugh. If I'm talking to a birthday Mom(usually a mom) that has the ultimate authority to make the buying decision and I can maker her laugh a couple times, the show is as good as sold. If, on the other hand, she doesn't laugh, the chances are great that the call will end in a no-sale.

Thinking about this now, I once knew a magician, who is no longer with us, used to combine his USP with making the Mom laugh. He used to say, “For an additional charge, I will make your child disappear!”

Not my style, but I’ll bet he did get a lot of laughs…and I know he got a lot of bookings.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Need a USP for Kids Shows (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL