We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Wood Card Box Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Magic Ref
View Profile
Loyal user
Flint, Mi.
285 Posts

Profile of The Magic Ref
Hello, I need to turn a specific box I have into a magnetic type card box. The kind where the flap drops in and covers the cards. I have the magnets but what kind of metal do I use to make the flap. I need this to have a very strong hold, preferably able to hold 10 cards to the box without the flap falling back out. Any thoughts or ideas? To be clear, I want to put 10 cards in the box, put the lid on and then they vanish and if possible be able to show the box upright to the audiance without the flap falling back out. Thanks..
Be Young...Have Fun!
The Magic Ref
View Profile
Loyal user
Flint, Mi.
285 Posts

Profile of The Magic Ref
I was just reading a eailer post from Michael Baker that says to use light weight wood or plastic and countersink a magnet in it. Is this better than using a metal shim? Which way do you think would be stronger a magnet and metal shim or magnet and magnet?
Be Young...Have Fun!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
For this many cards, I would embed a series of neo magnets in the bottom of the box, so you have more points of magnetic attraction. You can buy 1/2" x 1/8" neo magnets in the craft dept. at WalMart (4 in a pack) if you don't need many. If you want more, I'll recommend an Ebay vendor (emovendo). I've dealt with him for years with great results.

In such a case you should be able to use a steel shim flap which should work well. There are a number of sources for shim stock (MSC direct being one).

Cut the shim to size and cover with whatever you line the box with.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Ref
View Profile
Loyal user
Flint, Mi.
285 Posts

Profile of The Magic Ref
Perfect.. Thanks!
Be Young...Have Fun!
The Magic Ref
View Profile
Loyal user
Flint, Mi.
285 Posts

Profile of The Magic Ref
I thought I would update this in case anyone else is interested. I found some perfect shim stock at Tractor Supply in my hometown. It is 22 guage and is thick enough not to bend but I can still cut it with tin snips. It is 6"x18" and cost $4.99

I also went and got the magnets Michael recommended at Wal Mart. Mann they hold strong to this steel stock. Cost 4 for #3.47

Thanks again for the help.
Be Young...Have Fun!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The 22 guage is common welding sheet at Lowes, etc. I use it for a lot of things, including tube making. It is about the thickest I can cut with my small metal shear. It will hold nicely to the magnets, but as it is still somewhat heavy, and you mentioned wanting to hide several cards behind it, I suggested embedding a series of magnets. More points of attraction should take care of any problems associated.

FYI - You'll likely want to save a narrow strip of that to fashion into a mini pry bar to lift the flap out of the box later! I doubt you'll be able to shake it out. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
en2oh
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of en2oh
Quote:
On 2011-02-24 19:53, Michael Baker wrote:
The 22 guage is common welding sheet at Lowes, etc. I use it for a lot of things, including tube making. It is about the thickest I can cut with my small metal shear. It will hold nicely to the magnets, but as it is still somewhat heavy, and you mentioned wanting to hide several cards behind it, I suggested embedding a series of magnets. More points of attraction should take care of any problems associated.

FYI - You'll likely want to save a narrow strip of that to fashion into a mini pry bar to lift the flap out of the box later! I doubt you'll be able to shake it out. Smile

Good job. If you don't use too many Neo magnetic contact points, you can use another magnet to lift the shim off (assuming that you have a few cards underneath the shim, the direct contact with the shim will give you more pull to remove the shim.

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Wood Card Box Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL