The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Routers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Great tip TW! Small things = big differences.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
I have a Porter Cable and a Hitachi and can strongly recommend either of them. I've been using them for years and have never had a problem.
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
742 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
I have two Porter Cable routers... The big one that I have has 1/4 and 12/ shanks.. You can change them and it has a lot of power.( IT's a plung router.) But it works well below the table and has the extra power you need and is easy to change your height with the plung. You can also still use your 1/4 bits..
The small one that I have is used for laminate...

I have tried all brands of all tools. Now I've pretty much gone to all Porter Cable..

I love there stuff..

Taylor
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Ok... I made the plunge, all puns intended.

After comparing models, features and prices, I opted for a Bosch outfit. 2.25 HP, fixed and plunge bases, variable speed, etc., etc.

The price was great, it was on sale so I saved 40 bucks! It has more features than I was initially interested in, customer reviews exceeded other models, and I have been very pleased with a Bosch circular saw that I bought years ago.

I have not had time to hook this up and use it yet because I've been down with the crud this week, but I'll review when I do finally use it. I will immediately mount it on my router table, so the plunge feature probably won't be used for some time.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Great choice. My plunge base has been in the case and naver out for the last 6 yrs. Bosch is a great tool. I make a lot of cabinet doors and it is great. Safety Safety. Routers turn fingers to hamburger. And that is not a good trick. Good Luck
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Yeah, I have ultimate respect for routers. I once found my stepdad bleeding badly after running his hand through one. He survived the ordeal, but it made a mess of him and the floor.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I've got pictures of my finger after accidentally bouncing it off a router bit last year. I'll spare you the gore and won't repost them, but the ER nurse agreed with the description "shredded". It went deep enough to knick the bone; I'm lucky to still have that fingertip. It's still a bit numb, but you can't see the scar unless you look closely.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2011-03-11 12:43, EsnRedshirt wrote:
I've got pictures of my finger after accidentally bouncing it off a router bit last year. I'll spare you the gore and won't repost them, but the ER nurse agreed with the description "shredded". It went deep enough to knick the bone; I'm lucky to still have that fingertip. It's still a bit numb, but you can't see the scar unless you look closely.

When I did that the ER nurse commented that it looked like a small hand grenade had gone off inside my finger.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-03-11 12:43, EsnRedshirt wrote:

Yes, I remember your photos.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
UPDATE...

I mounted the router to the table. The table I have is a hand-me-down, but very nice none-the-less. It appears to be made from a kit of sorts, as it is largely made of hardwoods, laminates, and add-in channels, etc.

Anyway, mounting any router is a challenge, as the screw heads are accessible from one side, and you find yourself trying to hit that first mounting screw hole in the router base, as you then try to line up the holes, while staring into a 1/4" gap to see it. The other mounting screws are then pretty easy, but that first one is a booger.

I first spent some time making a couple extra table inserts with different diameter holes for various bits.

So, I finally get all hooked up and ready to test the features.

So far, I am extremely impressed. The depth adjustment, which was my main concern, and reason for buying a new router, is excellent, and very easy to use. The micro adjust is a feature I have never had on any previous routers... at least not with the accuracy that this one shows. With my old routers, it was a trial and error proceedure to set an accurate depth inside 1/16". You'd either hit it correctly (as learned by making a test pass on scrap wood), or not, at which point you try to adjust again.

This one is a dream, and micro adjustments can be made with a simple turn of a very smooth operating knob. It has a coarse adjustment lever, a fine adjustment knob, and a calibrated ring for progressive depth adjustments as fine as 1/256"!! My horse shoes and hand grenades world has never been that precise.

The set includes collet chucks for 1/4" and 1/2" shanks. At present, I only have 1/4" shank bits, but glad I have the option now, as this will allow for a wider range of bits in the future.

The kit came with 2 bases, one fixed and one plunge. I have not yet found reason to use a plunge base for any of the stuff I make, but the option is nice anyway. One thing I may buy as an optional accessory is a permanent table mounting base. This would then free up the fixed base for off-table use. The hassle of mounting/remounting the base would otherwise discourage me from taking this off the table.

It has a soft start motor, which is nice, as it doesn't have any torque "kick" on start-up. The motor is fairly quiet, too compared to my Craftsman routers, that were as loud as shop vacs.

Of particular interest is the electronic variable speed control, ranging from 8000 RPM to 25,000 RPM. I'll learn more about this through experimentation.

All in all, it seems to be a very good investment, and quite a bit under $200.00, on sale.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
mrmetropolis
View Profile
Regular user
who has only made
155 Posts

Profile of mrmetropolis
Netgear, Belkin, D-link... those are all good... oh, wait... nevermind.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not, none will suffice".-Joseph Dunninger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wL5fX3xGQ
Paul_Rheaume
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Paul_Rheaume
I alsao love the porter cable and have had one since1975, but for the home shop, the sound level on most ryobi items is worth looking into. good tool and not as loud as mosty.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Routers (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL