The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Why Bunny rabbits? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
As long as I can remember, magicians have been associated with doves and bunny rabbits.

Now I know why doves, their physiology makes them sleep when in the dark so they are easy to hide.

But why bunny rabbits?
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
It would be interesting to know the link to religion and sacrifices.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Octarine Prince
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of Octarine Prince
If you go with the occult angle:

Rabbits represent fertility, spring, etc.
Easter/Isis/Eostre/Astarte/Ishtar/etc.

For practical purposes:

There are only a few small animals on Planet Earth that you can treat like rabbits and doves who will (USUALLY!) not utter an audible complaint or act up too much. That is key in a magic trick. The same mechanism for making a rabbit appear can be used to make a small wolverine appear, but I don't know any one who is going that route!
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1627 Posts

Profile of randirain
My guess is the same reason doves are used.

Both animals are quiet when you shove them in a black secret compartment, and they are easy to take care of.

Try shoving your cat in the secret compartment and see how well your magic act goes.

A ferret is smart enough to find their way out of any compartment.
Mine can open any door, slip through any opening, does my taxes, etc... he's way too smart to be in a box.

A small dog may be easy to get into the box, but when you produce them...
Shaking and with their tail between their legs snapping at you isn't that great of a magical moment.

It's makes sense to use a rabbit.
They're pretty stupid compared to other animals and they live and reproduce all on their own.

Randi
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I've just added a couple of latex doves to my doves to bunny and produce Rocky Raccoon.......low maintenance! Haven't fooled with it yet, but I got the idea from another thread. Gonna work with it a bit and see how it goes......
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
And besides, bunnies are just so darn cute!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
But why bunny rabbits?

Cause Dinosaurs, although being far more awesome, are extinct.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Fabio, that has to be one of the most profound statements ever made on this board.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2011-02-22 20:46, Father Photius wrote:
Fabio, that has to be one of the most profound statements ever made on this board.

Profound... but wrong.

Magicians work with Dinosaurs all the time!

It turns out the LARGE dinosaurs went extinct but smaller species continued to live and evolve. Today, they are one of the most successful families of creatures, having evolved into nearly every possible ecological niche-- the birds.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
And hey, if the magic thing fails, no need to worry about what's for dinner! Smile
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
On 2011-02-23 13:18, Cyberqat wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-02-22 20:46, Father Photius wrote:

Profound... but wrong.

Magicians work with Dinosaurs all the time!

It turns out the LARGE dinosaurs went extinct but smaller species continued to live and evolve. Today, they are one of the most successful families of creatures, having evolved into nearly every possible ecological niche-- the birds.

Yeah, I know that. For the sake of the joke I meant T-Rex's and such, though.
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
It would to see a show using the world's largest rabbit.

Both animals are easy to train which is why magicians use them too. (rabbits and doves) Plus the color, (white) they are easy to show up from far away with a black background.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7419 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Unless it is a black rabbit.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
I'm not sure, but when I produce a bunny at the end of my show I get a tremendous reaction. The reaction is so great that I began to worry what I would do if something happened to my 3+ year old 8 pound bunny, Sparkles.

I have decided to get a Netherland Dwarf bunny, Star, and I'm going to get her the first week in March. My wife asked; "what are you going to do with Sparkles now?" I've fixed that by making 2 production boxes, 2 rabbit wringers, and 2 circus wagons. One is small and the other is large. My 10 year old Grand-daughter, my assistant for 3 years now will do as I do at the end of my show. She'll produce Star, and I'll produce Sparkles.

What is better then 1 rabbit? 2 rabbits. Oh by the way, Sparkles and Star are both females and I'm going to keep them in separate cages anyway. JUST IN CASE. HaHa!!!!!
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
The story of the use of rabbits, as I once heard, was that a woman tired of her husband's lack of attention so she claimed she was accosted by a rabbit. A little later she claimed to have given birth to the baby rabbits in her bed (it was later found a servant had gotten her the babies). A magician touring and hearing the story, 1 night took his top hat, gave the audience a wink and made a rabbit appear in the hat...the rest is as they say...History. I cannot vouch to the truth, but that is the tale I heard.
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
"Bullwinkle that trick never works."
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
This was my new bunny's first show. She is a 6 week old Netherland Dwarf. I do plan on using both of my rabbits in my show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ-v0jTWf9A
123TJS321
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of 123TJS321
I heard from some where that top hats used to be made out of rabbit fur, and that's why rabbits where first produced from them
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
My favorite had is coated with rabbit fur. When people ask me to take a rabbit out of it I show the image of a rabbit inside it, lol.
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I plan on eventually expanding my show to include 3 rabbits And 3 boxes; I can show an empty box number 2, go to box number 1and place the rabbit in it, open it and the rabbit is gone, go to box number 2 I displayed empty and the rabbit appears, just like magic.
If I do that with 3 boxes and 3 rabbits I can go back and forth for at least 10 minutes with music and explanations making them appear and disappear.

Posted: Apr 17, 2011 10:07am
I have started working on a unique project where the child can own the rabbit I pull out of my hat at the end of the show; the sale of the rabbit will include a cage, food bowl, a water bottle, hay, food and a book on the care of rabbits.

If the parents want the child to own a rabbit as a pet, it will set me apart from the other acts advertising for work.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
That's a clever idea. The child can tell everyone that their rabbit is a magic rabbit!

Suggestion, if you have a good local pet store that knows rabbits, you might want to talk to them about cross promotion. After all the family will need more food and other supplies down the line.You can recommend them and maybe give a shop flyer when you give away the rabbit, in return they can advertise your act and maybe you can put a flyer in their shop Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Why Bunny rabbits? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL