We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » A legit. question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Hello;

This is kind of a "back to front" question, but here goes.

I've been involved with Mentalism since 2003.

I've not attempted in card slight effects simply because of some dexiarity issues.

However I've always been a glutton for punishment and would like to get some advice on which false shuffles, deals etc., would be suitable for a beginner to learn.

Friday night I had the opportunity of spending some time at the Magic Castle, and saw two highly talented men doing some great card effects in the bar area. One of them had a bit of a mind reading going on too. It got me thinking and reminded me that there is a rather large hole that needs to be filled.

I'm not looking for an "instant" fix to a decades long problem. I know that there will be hours of required practise, but I would really like to be able to incorporate some mentalism routines, close up, to broaden my skills, and these routines simply require the use of cards, and a degree of dexterity.

I'm hoping some would be able to point me in the right direction.

Any advice, here or via PM, would be greatly apprecieated.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
There are effects in
'Encyclopedia of Card Magic'.
Lorayne's 'Close Up card Magic' and others.
I'm sure you can find more in Corrinda's '13 Steps' and Annemann's 'Practical Mental Magic'.

False shuffles and cuts can be found in
'Annotated Ernase' by Ortiz.
'Dai Vernon's Inner Card Trilogy'.
'Expert card Technique'.
Picard
View Profile
Elite user
411 Posts

Profile of Picard
So you want mental card effects that are easy to do?
Here are few classics that fit the bill nicely (they require NO sleight of hand):
Miraskill by Stewart James (has sooo many variations, I liked some presentational ideas from Mirabill e-book)
Impromptu Out Of This World by Harry Lorayne ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcNuuptQR5k )
Swindle of Sorts by Paul Curry (also has many variations, I liked this presentation of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSjOA2IiKvo )
Untouched by Daryl ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5gAYTZCV4E )
Overkill by Paul Harris ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEyJgzawIkQ )
Gemini Twins by Karl Fulves
Devastation by Geoff Williams (or 4,5,6 packet trick by Piacente)

I HIGHLY recommend Act Series by Mick Ayres - it's 3 e-books containing no sleight-of-hand mental card effects directly from WORKING repertoire of Mick Ayres: http://www.mickayreswares.com/the_act_series

There are many other sources that come to mind, but the above should get you going in the right direction.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
I would add to mental effects without sleights (each effect can be done as a mental effect with the right presentation):

1) Crossroads
2) Get Sharky
3) anate with an out using an ID
4) XRAY
Feral Chorus
View Profile
Elite user
CA
472 Posts

Profile of Feral Chorus
I think Picard nailed it (mostly because he mentioned just about everything I initially thought of). I would also recommend Magic vs Mentalism in Practical Mental Magic and Paul Green's Jeopardy (or some of the other well known effects using the same principle).

Others not yet mentioned, Diplopia by Paul Vigil or Tapalac by Paul Cummins are very similar but will require some practice. This is Mind Reading in Close Up Card Magic by Lorayne is another good one.

Finally, Osterlind's Miracle Thought Projection is something a little more on the wild side.

However, there are so many many more that are just as interesting.
3M
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, CA
59 Posts

Profile of 3M
I would simply recommend the Royal Road to Card Magic. It has much of what you're looking for plus more if you ever get more into the pasteboards =)

Cheers,
Fred
Semper Magus
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Thank you all for your help.

I guess I'm looking for instruction on assorted shuffles, false and other wise. I do have "Practical Mental Magic, and like that card effect.

Thanks for your help.

By the way Fred; your use of the word "Cheers" at the end of you note reminds me of England. That's how we said, and I still do, say thanks.

Cheers Mate.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » A legit. question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL