The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Launcher for Rocky (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Warren Peace
View Profile
New user
Dallas
19 Posts

Profile of Warren Peace
Hello everyone,

I am trying to build a launching system to shoot a Rocky Racoon out of a small animal carrier. I know this was done on WGM and I am not trying to copy that routine, I do however have a routine idea of my own that includes having Rocky leap from his carrier into my arms...so with that being said

Does anyone out there have an idea for a simple launching system? Keeping in mind that the Rocky Racoon would need to fly straight, head first, for a distance of about 6-8 feet?

Thanks for any help you all can give.

WP
RangeCowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Long Beach
198 Posts

Profile of RangeCowboy
I would build something like a bear-trap which works in reverse.

The gaffed animal carrier is a clam-shell which spings open as opposed to the bear-trap which springs shut. Place a sheet of material like black silk in the clam-shell so it acts like a firemans blanket but again in reverse.

When triggered by (?? your method) the clam-shell opens and the blanket becomes taught tossing the object - Rocky in this case - up and out towards you.

Think of it like an holding a length of leather belt in two hands close together - when you pull your hands apart the belt snaps taught and the center rises rapidly , tossing anything sitting on it upwards.

If it is angled then the object rises up and out at a curved angle like an animal leaping up at you from the floor.

Would that work?
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Check and see if Rocky fits into PVC piping. The get a length of Black Pipe and White Coupling and end Caps. It will look like a giant Magic Wand when done right. It only takes three cuts in the pipe and it will work. A few more cuts and the cap goes on and off easier. Now put a spring in it and you have a launcing Giant Magic Wand.

I shoot 25 spring cloth snakes I got from David Ginn out of it! Rockey can lead the group or designed to be the sole launcher.

A great comedy gag.

Dennis Michael
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1387 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I take it this needs to happen remotely?

I'd take a look at how confetti launcers are made.. or look into the small CO2 cartridges that run some confetti launchers.. both will launch the racoon.

Part of the inherent problems with both of these are noise... you're going to have a problem getting something to do this and not make noise...

Thinking along.. what about some sort of internal compound "crossbow" type of arrangement?

I'm not sure in any case how to make this remote.. but I can certainly make some suggestions for some string controlled models.

best of luck!
Let us know what you've finally designed
mikeB
View Profile
New user
UK
84 Posts

Profile of mikeB
If the distance is short then why not try a springboard approach, for vertical lift (probably at 45 deg) or a catapult for horizontal flight. Both can be placed in the animal basket, assuming you can't see through it. If the firing pin is attached to a solenoid(relay) then you can fire it remotely (electrically) or think of how an animal trap works and reverse it.

Just a few thoughts
Cheers

Mike
Your Reality Is A Figment Of My Imagination
RangeCowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Long Beach
198 Posts

Profile of RangeCowboy
Hey,
Rocky rides a crossbow bolt from across the stage (on a wire) and nails you to a panel.

You of course catch him and the crossbow bolt is seen to have pinned your coat/shirt whatever to the panel...

Trick will be called 'Eating Rocky I Scream!' nah! too dangerous for your kid shows I guess
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3178 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Quote:
On 2002-04-22 00:41, Warren Peace wrote:
....having Rocky leap from his carrier into my arms...so with that being said

Does anyone out there have an idea for a simple launching system? Keeping in mind that the Rocky Racoon would need to fly straight, head first, for a distance of about 6-8 feet?

Propelling Rockey from a carrier, head first, straight, and 6-8 feet is a real challenge.

Seesm that you dont have room for catapults, etc, and so a Compressed air, or co2 assembly would be most practical, but would take a pretty large volume to push the diameter of 3-4 inches.

And it would have to be pretty high velocity to go straight for 6-8 feet, so maybe a bit of an arch on the trajectory wouldnt hurt the effect. And head first? Maybe you have better grab him in the air and right him as you bring him into you body.

Any kind of spring or catapult that might fit into the "cage" would have the problem of having enough energy to toss Rocky and then when it hit the limit, the whole cage would need to be secured to keep it from beign throw forward too.

Intersting problem! I have a number of smaller "critters" that I use at times and I like the concept so maybe I will work on firing one those out of a box.

Good Luck

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Create a smooth hook - probably need to machine from hard plastic - that is permanently attached to Rocky's chest. Add a solid ring - also probably plastic - to the base of his tail. Stretch a piece of surgical rubber tubing across the width of the carrier about 1/3 the distance in from the door. Create a simple hook/release at the inside back of the carrier that can be operated from the outside.

While putting Rocky back in his carrier, catch the front hook on the rubber tubing; stretch the tubing until the rear ring can engage the catch at the back of the carrier. Point and release.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
RangeCowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Long Beach
198 Posts

Profile of RangeCowboy
..and definitely don't stand up close to it and accidentally trigger it.. else your opening song will go up an octave.
Warren Peace
View Profile
New user
Dallas
19 Posts

Profile of Warren Peace
Thanks for all the great ideas everyone, I am going to go with a mix of some of the ideas here: A 3' PVC tube, surgical tubing and a leather pocket with a key ring attached to the leather that passes through the back of the carrier to be held by a pin.

I will let you all know how it works.

Peace
Thatoldblackmagic
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Thatoldblackmagic
Cat gut off stage?
Scotland's first winner of the Edinburgh International Magic Festival's first place award. ~ Allen Tipton's magic Student. ~ Magic Historian and Collector ~ Built magic for Scotland's top Pantomimes ,Cats ,The Wizard of Oz and a few other shows. ~ As seen on TV theatre and film Smile Aged 17
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1302 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
You did notice the topic is 9 years old, right..?
Sent from my Typewriter
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9488 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
That's because his Rocky is 9 years old.

At that point you could straighten-out the spring that's popping through the little guy, and make a RockyZombie AND it's self-contained
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1302 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
And it might even look the part...of a zombie that is...
Sent from my Typewriter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Launcher for Rocky (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL