The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Pay per click: Google vs. Facebook (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
Ok...I'm planning to spend some advertising bucks on one or eventually both of these. Google has the advantage of causing me to show up in front of people who are already searching for my services....but I'll show up along with my competition also.

Facebook has the potential of having my ad show up where buyers who likely have kids will see me absent from any competing listings or ads. The thought is to tap into a market of people who may have little to no awareness of a bday magician for their kid's party.

I've not examined their costs so I'm not shure how they compare. Any thoughts or experiences?
jackturk
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of jackturk
I have tried both. I have had way more success with Google PPC
than with Facebook.

My opinion - not backed up by detailed research, just my
opinion - is that needing a birthday magician is like
needing a plumber. You know they exist, but you really
could care less... until your toilet explodes. That's
when you really want to find a plumber.

So all the ads you see put before you about plumbing
blend into the chaos of every other ad you see fly by.

But, when you need that plumber, you search for "exploding
toilet" and you are happy as a clam to find one on the web.

That's how I think the birthday business works. Can't confirm
it with hard data, but it fits what I hear from a lot of Moms
anecdotally - "hey, I need something to control 30 sugar-crazed
five year olds this weekend... are you available?"

The key therefore is to compete effectively with everyone else
using that medium. That's a more extended discussion.

--Jack
"59 Ways To Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://www.GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

"How To Make $25,000 a Year Doing Birthday Parties Part-Time"
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Jack, thanks for the post. I'll just have to make sure my site rocks and my SEO is as good as I can get it, and put those bucks into google. I've loved your 90 Day Marketing course. It's certainly helped.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Great reply Jack! Lot's of wonderful advice there.

Mark. Smile
jonathandupree
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of jonathandupree
I would do a little of both. Facebook will be cheaper than Google and you can get way more laser targeted on your lead demographics with facebook than you can with google. The difference with google and facebook, though, is google is kinda like the yellow pages. When you go there to search, you are doing that . . . searching for something and usually something you need.

ex. You search google for birthday magician, it is probably b/c you are looking to hire a birthday magician for your party. You see an ad on facebook, you click it because you saw the ad and it caught your attention. Either way, whichever you are using, you need to make sure you have a way to capture the lead info or make sure the site they are going to does a REALLY good job at giving them the correct information. If you make them search for information after clicking your ad, you just burnt that lead, they won't do it, they will just leave your page.

There is so much information on both of these. I wouldn't say one was better than the other, they are both useful and both very different in how users use them.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24111 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I would take the full path for under $75. All you need are three books. The three books are "Search Engine Optimization for Dummies," "Facebook Marketing for Dummies," and "Twitter Marketing for Dummies." I was asking about SEO previously in this forum. I listened to the advice that was given to me. Both of my magician websites are now on the first page of "Detroit Magician" after I read "Search Engine Optimization for Dummies."

I still have not read "Facebook Marketing for Dummies, and "Twitter Marketing for Dummies" yet.

I would not recommend PPC. The prospects look towards the left most of the time.

I recommend getting Google Analytics. That will tell you how your site is being noticed the most.

Michael, I did a search for "Richmond Magician" and noticed your site on the bottom of the third page. I advise working with SEO first so you will be on the first page, next see where that leads you.
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
I would never advertise on facebook because people do not go there in a "searching" mindset. Just think about what you do on facebook and how often you click on the ads...or better yet...how often do you even look at those ads?

Facebook is VERY targeted because they gather tons of information but they have a huge flaw...people aren't in a "searching" or "buying" mode when visiting facebook.

Google on the other hand is made for searching. People are in the "buying" mindset which will have more influence on whether or not they want to click on your website.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24111 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I understand what you are saying about Facebook Benji. I agree with you. But remember there are strategies that can be done. Picture working up a crowd of local people that really like you. Mention to all of them you are performing a show at a specific public location. It will help gather a crowd where people will come see you and notice how good you are when they see you perform. When the right time comes, you will be in that person's mind for a party. As I mentioned above I did not read my book on Facebook yet, but I bet there are other strategies, instead of using the advertising you explained.

And don't forget about Craigslist. It is free too.
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
I'm not against a facebook fan page...but paying for ads on facebook would be the wrong way to go.
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
Yes, Dynamike is talking about Facebook fan page which, as Benji mentioned in so many words, could be of benefit. Otherwise, even considering the ability to narrowly target with facebook-it is still interruption advertising. Might, might be good for targeting future prospects by creating a "call to action" ad to gather info for an email follow up campaign.

Google, Yahoo, Bing-you are advertising to people looking to buy your service. Ideal.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3505 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I second the first rate education you'll get along with the bang for your buck with those three Dummies books,
pure gold advice from Dynamike!

Walt
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

I just finished chap 8 on SEO for Dummies and certainly feel like an SEO dummy. Wow...there's sooo much to work on. Well, during lunch at work today I started re-creating my home page with SEO guidelines in mind. I also made the mistake in my earlier version of cutting and pasting text from MS Word directly to the site....big formatting mistake.

I feel very fortunate to have people like all of you nudging, guiding, correcting, and encouraging me along my way to the top of Google. Thank you. Thank you all.
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
Wow great information. I didn't know about SEO before this thread. I knew that there was a reason my site didn't appear at the top, now I know where to get the information to get it to the top. I also have used google and have been very happy with the results.
Life of Magic!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Pay per click: Google vs. Facebook (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL