The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Routining your "Hypnosis" set... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
This might be a different approach to what most do here.

I find that putting the whole Induction process into a "scripted" routine makes it easier for me to establish rapport and to access their subconcious.

Just so you know, I NEVER mention "Hypnosis", ever (unless asked of course, which I always "deflect" gently...).

I call what I do Internal Energy Testing or "Chi" Testing.

It works great in that the Routine has a logical flow to it...

Test the fingers.

Test the palms.

Test the feet.

Test the mouth.

Test the whole body.

Waking and eyes closed flowing in a logical manner...

Positive affirmation used throughout, both for the rapport and I just love leaving people feeling empowered at the end... Smile

Anyone else approach it this way?
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
While it may be argued that your use of the word 'hypnosis', 'might have' a bad effect on your audience (I assume that's why you're considering NOT using it), I'd like to put forward a hypothetical counter-argument, that the blatant use of a full hypnosis show whilst simply dropping the word 'hypnosis' might be seen as insulting your audience's intelligence.

I'd simply love to know:
a) what your advertised show states
b) your pre-talk (on the night) and explanation of what is about to happen
and
b) the 'gentle deflection'

Regards,
Bob
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
You have to remember Bob Pakar lives in a different world to ours.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I was about to edit my post and say that I WAS aware of that but some razor sharp sneeky b-st-rd got in before me!
I quite genuinely wish to know how Henzi plans to handle this. It IS merely a philosophical argument.
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
859 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
I am glad you chimed in, Bob. I was curious about the omission of the word Hypnosis as well. Are you simply looking for a new twist or does hypnosis have a wide spread negative public vibe about it, where you are from?

The chi testing threw me for a little loop since I do teach advanced meditation classes. The public perception of what chi is so off base. I have heard talking of negative chi, auras, and off the wall stuff like that. No wonder Penn and Teller showcase this on their show for ridicule. Chi testing is a new one for me. But hey, this may work for you. The public perception of this pseudo-magical thing they know little about may intrigue their imagination.
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Hi Chris.
Pakar is probably asleep round about now but MP's right. It has different connotations over there which can cause problems.
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
225 Posts

Profile of JonChase
If you are not doing 'hypnosis' then you are Not Doing Hypnosis.

Or am I going crazy?
Smiles

Jon Chase

http://jonathanchase.com
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
It helps to be crazy on here.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-02-24 11:07, bobser wrote:
While it may be argued that your use of the word 'hypnosis', 'might have' a bad effect on your audience (I assume that's why you're considering NOT using it), I'd like to put forward a hypothetical counter-argument, that the blatant use of a full hypnosis show whilst simply dropping the word 'hypnosis' might be seen as insulting your audience's intelligence.

I'd simply love to know:
a) what your advertised show states
b) your pre-talk (on the night) and explanation of what is about to happen
and
b) the 'gentle deflection'

Regards,
Bob

Hey Bobser, you're right... I just woke up. Smile

As to your queries...

I am fortunate that Hypnosis Shows are just not performed here in my country, thus most audiences cannot reference it at all (much less be "insulted intellectually"). I also deliberately avoid the word "sleep" so there is even less reference to "Hypnosis" and what some might have seen anywhere else. Costume and back story also helps... Smile

a) My advertised Show (or what I say I do to Clients and Volunteers) says I am a "Mentalist" (or the equivalent in my language) and not "Hypnotist".

b) Pretalk is on the power of Chi. What some theorize it is (or is not). But, I always stress that we ALL have it, although to varying degrees. My Shows are usually in the Parlor or Walkaround setting (not large Stage), but I do do the same pretalk.

c) When they ask "Is this Hypnosis?". I say "No. Hypnosis is a state of mind you get into and it can help to access your Chi... but you don't need to be hypnotised to do this Chi testing." Smile

It has not given me any problems so far...

Chris Meece, I find that it works like a charm... Smile

JonChase, it depends on what you mean by "Hypnosis"... But THAT is a whole other story...

MP, I am a bit crazy. It helps.

Hope that answers your questions Bob...

Smile
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Perfectly answered and understood Henzi. Cheers.

Quote:
On 2011-02-24 12:28, JonChase wrote:
If you are not doing 'hypnosis' then you are Not Doing Hypnosis.
Or am I going crazy?

I hope Pakar's answer enlightened you Jon. I already had an idea what he was on about through past discussiuons with him, but merely wished him to enlighten me and the rest of the guys further. He has to be extremely careful in his neck of the woods.
Bob
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Cheers Bob, thanks... Smile

Yep, walking on glass here most days...
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I did hypnosis once for a group of filipino hotel workers, and they had no concept of what I was trying to do. I had to switch to magic. Had I had warning of the make up of the group beforehand I might have put some thought into how to handle it, but I only discovered when I walked on stage.
In some cultures it is probably a good idea to reframe the whole show.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is cultural for certain.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
A funny "side effect" from performing it as "Chi testing" is that you sometimes get that one odd spectator who has his own version of it from doing Qigong, Martial Arts, Yoga, Meditation etc...

And is eager to share it with me for everyone to see!

I just go with it, it just solidifies what I do. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Routining your "Hypnosis" set... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL