The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Libya... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I don't know if this is anarchy in action or the spontaneous emergence of popular government, but it seems like good news:

Quote:
As US officials struggle to understand the quickly unfolding events, a predominant concern is that chaos and civil war could emerge after Mr. Qaddafi’s one-man rule is dispatched – if he doesn’t manage to sow it himself first.

But Umm Ahmed, head of the management committee for Benghazi’s new transitional city council, has a message for Washington: Don’t worry.

“Yes, there are no police, no institutions. Law and order as defined doesn’t exist,” she says. “But in practice, Benghazi is incredibly safe. Safer than it was under Qaddafi. People are all volunteering, the banks are opening. We surprised even ourselves.”

Quote:
Jalal Galaal, a businessman who’s acting to bring together the city council and local interests, says businessmen and government officials started showing up last week at the courthouse – a focal point for protesters – asking what should be done.

“The guy who runs the gas pumping station that feeds the power plants here showed up and said 'I need help,' ” says Mr. Galaal. “We simply told him to get his people together and come up with a list. Wahda Bank said it needed protection. I think we sent a few guards, but once they saw things were safe here, they mostly organized things for themselves.”

Let's hope that things continue developing in a positive direction.

Woland
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5021 Posts

Profile of landmark
Sounds good to me. So far, we're together on this W.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I found this an interesting read

It shows that all our divergent opinions here hold some truth.

http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/opi......541.html
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
What's sad is how well they will work now will all be tossed aside once they write their constitution, and try to institute structure, pretty much ignoring the structure they created themselves without it being institutionalized.

In the mean time, things seem to work quite well. As long as they don't try to keep everything operating via *communism, they may be good.

*Communism CAN work, either in small communes, unto themselves, or on a larger scale, but only temporarily.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Yes - what a shame they won't want to live in La La Land.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5021 Posts

Profile of landmark
US sending warships.
Okay, I don't like it.
I heard a Libyan on the radio (yes one isolated person means nothing but FWIW) who says the protesters don't want US interference, especially not air power. They have bad memories of US air power in the Middle East.
The oil boys will be there faster than you can say Dick Cheney.
What do you think?
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
For once, you are right. One isolated person's voice means nothing.

It will be to Libya's advantage to be able to do business with companies from countries that have been avoiding dealing with the Qadhdhafi regime.

Libya has a population of 6 million people and normally pumps 1.6 million barrels of oil per day. At a low-ball average price of $50 a barrel, that would work out to a gross income of close to 100 million dollars a day, roughly 30 billion dollars a year. Despite, that, from all accounts, the country is a shambles.

Woland
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16222 Posts

Profile of tommy
He ain't lost the fight yet.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Erwin
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Erwin
He unveiled his secret weapon this afternoon. Expect two fingers in the eyes if you plan to interfere in the affairs of the State of the Masses.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I will miss the wardrobe changes.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Imagine what would happen if the people still didn't love Guadafi....
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-03-02 10:29, Woland wrote:

It will be to Libya's advantage to be able to do business with companies from countries that have been avoiding dealing with the Qadhdhafi regime.

Which countries are those, or which are you thinking of? There were about 70 or more Canadian companies operating in Libya at the start of 2011, and Canada is said to be one of the smaller players in Libya. Various U.S. companies have been lobbying to keep access to Libya open for a number of years now:

http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/2011/......iness-2/

Not to mention Russia and others. So, I mean, it just seems like the big players are already in Libya doing business. So, I am just wondering who is missing.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Papua new guinea...they are chomping at the bit to get in there.

Petrolium related companies are still widely controlled by the DOC. Interesting since a lot of military manufacturing isn't. This means if a company from the US goes to Libya every item, from pencils up, are restricted and require licensing. Neat huh?
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
An apt cartoon, Scott. Up until a few weeks ago, the Libyan regime was the darling of the international community. In 2003, Libya was elected to the Chairmanship of the U.N. Human Rights Council. Didn't they know about Qadhdhafi then? Of course they did.

At the moment, it's clear that Qadhdhafi is the bad guy. After that, who knows what will happen. Again, as I've said, it is very hard to think that anybody would be worse than Qadhdhafi.

W.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-03-02 16:05, Woland wrote:
An apt cartoon, Scott. Up until a few weeks ago, the Libyan regime was the darling of the international community. In 2003, Libya was elected to the Chairmanship of the U.N. Human Rights Council. Didn't they know about Qadhdhafi then? Of course they did.

Not to mention, in 2004 Bush lifted sanctions.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,132937,00.html
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Two tea drinkers confused about international politics? For shame, Scott! We don't need that sort of partisan humour here. Lol.

Anyway, I present ... Gaddafi's bunker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L1hWPGVcB0

Around 1:40 into the video, you can learn some of which countries' companies have their stamps on the bunker equipment. Any guesses?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2011-03-02 16:05, Woland wrote:
Up until a few weeks ago, the Libyan regime was the darling of the international community.

W.

:rotf: Now that is about as much nonsense as I've ever read at the Café. And that's saying something.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
So he bought things made in Switzerland and America. That's supposed to be outrageous?

W.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Libya... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL