The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Specialty Insurance dropping Hypnotists? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
Word on the street is that Specialty Entertainers (aka Performers of the US, formerly Clowns of the US) will likely be dropping stage hypnotists from their coverage soon. Does anyone else have any insight on this? Not sure where else a stage hypnotists would look for reasonable coverage for hypnosis shows so if you have any ideas I would love to hear them.

Best regards,

Keir

http://www.WichitaComedyMagician.com
Cotu
View Profile
New user
Bakersfield, Ca
6 Posts

Profile of Cotu
I was in the market for insurance and spoke to the nice lady at Specialty Insurance. She sounded pretty sure that their Insurance carrier was going to drop Stage Hypnotist when their contract renews in April.

I found 2 places that still offer insurance S.A.M. for $239 (+$45 membership) http://www.magicsam.com/SAMInsure.asp

This one cost more and you have to pass a safety test. $350 but it's more coverage. http://www.thehypnosiscompany.com/safety/insurance.html
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9683 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
NAME is also excellent for insurance.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Interesting. What does the 'safety test' entail?
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
I took the safety test for "the hypnosis company". It was easy peasy. You study a web site then take the test. I did it in a very short time one evening. It is what I would consider common sense BUT for someone who doesn't have a firm grasp of crowd control and audience management it would be good to learn. I didn't mind taking the test to get good insurance. They even cover props, sound equipment, etc. if stolen or damaged. Hypnosis was $300 and I purchased a "juggler" policy for $50, so I spent $350 total.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
What the hell is wrong with these insurance companies????
I mean;
don't they see the fun in, for example; seeing your daughter have sex with a chair? Your mum have an orgasm in front of hundreds of strangers when some responsible stage hypnotist shakes her hand? Or your grandma truly believe she's sh-t herself?
Maybe watching your dad f-ck an invisible sheep and make orgasmic noises while he's doing it? Or how about your brother giving birth to a baby that'll rip him apart? Then of course have the baby kicked into the audience as he screams in turmoil? I've seen that a couple of times. A small percentage of the audience loved it. Kinda like the Romans back in the days of the Colloseum?
Seriously, tell me, why IS it sooooo hard to get insurance for this...... 'art'?
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Rumour has it that they dropped it after seeing a hypnotist do a skit involving two men a bathtub!

:lol:
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
(twitches his eye like commissioner Dreyfus in The Pink Panther!)
"Why oh why did I think of doing that?"
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
http://www.SafeOnStage.com is where many of have been huying our insurance for years.... This is through NAME
Dr. Richard Nongard, Professional Hypnosis Training
Learn how to master the art of SpeedTrance, Clinical and Stage Hypnosis
Justin-James
View Profile
New user
Justin James
1 Post

Profile of Justin-James
Hi this is Justin James with The Hypnosis Company. In 2008 Specialty decided it was mandatory that people take their paid safety course that was offered by Susan Rosen and eventually Jerry Valley... We were told: " Don't like it? Too bad...."

There were a lot of very unhappy people out in the market when this news hit and many people ranted but no one stepped up to solve the problem.

I approached Willis the 3rd largest broker in the world and proposed a solution and created a relationship with them and N.A.M.E The National Association of Mobile Entertainers We created a new insurance product (I am not an agent) that was made for Stage Hypnotists and created the first ever Stage Hypnotist only policy in the USA. We also created the only Insurance company approved safety exam in the world.

The information you receive is common sense yet detailed and well explained and while Specialty continues to struggle with over 750,000 in insurance claims against Hypnotists we have had ZERO claims against the people who have come through the program.

This year they have lowered their rates to approx 225.00 for basic coverage and equipment and other additional coverages are available.

Go to http://www.safeonstage.com for more information and to take the class.

Currently it is FREE that will not continue forever as we do not receive any sales commissions from your purchase of insurance and I personally pay out of pocket for all hosting and admin.
As we go into our third year of success with the program I hope you will take it to heart and be Safe on Stage.

Sincerely,

Justin James
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Justin,

I would like to thank you for working so hard to come up with a solution. I am surprised that people had a problem taking the safety course. If you already know this material it is easy. If you need to learn the material it's free!

Thanks again,

Ted
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19873 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Someone who stepped up and did the research for everyone? Gotta say that is a cool dude. I know nothing of the product, but that is pretty nice thing to do.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Now who is going to 'step up' in the UK?
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2011-02-26 18:48, bobser wrote:
What the hell is wrong with these insurance companies????
I mean;
don't they see the fun in, for example; seeing your daughter have sex with a chair? Your mum have an orgasm in front of hundreds of strangers when some responsible stage hypnotist shakes her hand? Or your grandma truly believe she's sh-t herself?
Maybe watching your dad f-ck an invisible sheep and make orgasmic noises while he's doing it? Or how about your brother giving birth to a baby that'll rip him apart? Then of course have the baby kicked into the audience as he screams in turmoil? I've seen that a couple of times. A small percentage of the audience loved it. Kinda like the Romans back in the days of the Colloseum?
Seriously, tell me, why IS it sooooo hard to get insurance for this...... 'art'?

Its not difficult you can get it quite easily now so long as you can prove you are competent and abide by the 1952 hypnotic guidelines.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
America seems to work just find without the 1952 ACT.

So why is that ACT seen as the be all and end all of everything or in fact anything?

In fact the whole rest of the world seems to be able to function without that ACT.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
That's not a question anyone can answer. But I actually think the guidelines are a good thing and needed in my experience. It does offer some protection for the public.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Then why is it not needed EVERYWHERE ELSE for the protection of the public?

And here, Hypnotists who choose to act in a safe way are safe and Hypnotists who choose not to are not. That is regardless and independent of any 1952 ACT.

We have several other acts like ones against drugs, but that hasn't done a thing about the illegal drugs trade. People who choose not to take or deal in drugs need no drugs law to tell them what to do and people who choose to take or deal in drugs simply disregard that act.

But still why is this 1952 Hypnosis Act so wonderful when simply everywhere else seems to be able to cope without it?
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
If you don't adhere to the guidelines you don't get insurance etc. So if your not adhering to the guidelines your not doing it safely in the eyes of the law and the government.

I wouldn't say it was wonderful. I would say it is a guideline which give rules to follow. If you decide not to follow them and take the risk that's up to you. I personally think the guidelines are a good thing.

I personally wouldn't do shows or demonstrations in public without the insurance especially in this No win no fee sueing culture. The guidelines are there for the hypnotist as much as they are for the public.

Laws vary from country to country in many areas not just hypnosis. There are also many licenses and guidelines for other professions too.

Asking why won't really give you a productive answer or change things.

But if you read them you will see why they were put in place.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
But the 1952 Hypnosis Act is not a guideline, it's the law.

Two very different things. Good ideas of safe practise are one thing, laws forcing you to do things that no other country deems necessary are another thing entirely.

So whether you like them and another doesn't is irrelevant as they are not optional and not guidelines.

If the Act was not here tomorrow, you would still be capable of doing a safe show and Johnny down the road who never listened to anything anyway will continue doing what he did before the Act disappeared.

An Act or in fact insurance do not make a safe Hypnotist, the Hypnotist does. It is he who decides to run a safe show.

As I have said, no other country seems to need this thing and some consider necessary here.

"But if you read them you will see why they were put in place."

I have read them but it doesn't at all address why we need them when no one else does. Why has no one else seen why they need to put them in place?
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
If you look into it you will find there is a set of guidelines that you must follow in order to get the license. I can't find them at the moment but they make a lot of sense.

Like I said its up to you what you decide but in this No win No fee culture I certainly wouldn't take the risk if anything goes wrong or someone trys to sue you legit or even just trying it on.

that's just how it is - You have to decide whats best for you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Specialty Insurance dropping Hypnotists? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL