The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Wondering: Do I get a rabbit? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I know this is probably been talked about here, but can't find it, or haven't seen a thread recently.

I have been thinking about getting a rabbit. Primarily for the family, but would like to get one that I could introduce into an act.

What resources are out there for me? And what are some considerations?

Thanks!

RevJohn
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Don't buy one from a pet shop!

find a local breeder and visit them. ask all the questions you want. they will be very helpful!

I don't have a rabbit now but did as a kid and have too been thinking of adding it to the smaller shows.

I have found the breeders are great to deal with and very staight forward with info and let you hold and look at the little fellers.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Get one but consider

(1) how far you intend travelling with it?

(2) who looks after it when you go on holiday?

(3) production box / method to use

(4) kids being allergic to rabbit fur - you have to check before booking

For day to day problems look at Tim Sonefelt's e-book http://www.timsonefelt.com/sonefelt_prod......ntheroad
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
I don't think there's anything wrong with buying a rabbit from a pet shop...I had a great rabbit I purchased from one and used in my act for 6 years before she passed away! I was even partially sponsored by a pet shop for a while!

It's very important to understand the animal is a pet and not a prop...

themagiciansapprentice's questions are very important questions to ask yourself. If you can take care of the rabbit, and you have a great way of incorporating it into your act, AND you want one, then by all means...GO FOR IT!

In all honesty, I'll go ahead and say...the kids do love the bunnies, but over the years I've found that they aren't really necessary for a great kid's show. I enjoyed having mine, but now that I've been without her for a while and seen that I can still create an awesome entertainment experience for my audience without a rabbit, I'll probably never get another one again. Just less hassle on my plate for transportation, feeding/care when I'm out of town, cleaning, etc.
Kyle Jarrard
"Entertainment at its Best"

http://www.kylesmagic.com
http://www.hypnobilly.com
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
My family has been thinking about one for a pet for a while. We have two birds, chickens, a cat, a dog, not to mention the butterflies that just hatched!

So it isn't a far reach to add one more pet to our family.

But these are great questions, and help me think about it.

Lets just say that if I even hint to the family that I would like one, we would have it the next day. So just doing my homework to make sure the rabbit would be something I would want to add.

John
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
What kind are you looking into getting?

I had a Holland Lop...absolutely PRECIOUS...very tranquil
Kyle Jarrard
"Entertainment at its Best"

http://www.kylesmagic.com
http://www.hypnobilly.com
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Haven't even gotten that far in the thought process.

John
Julie Carpenter
View Profile
Regular user
Watford
139 Posts

Profile of Julie Carpenter
I love my bunny - I wish I had something better to finish the show with as she is a commitment but I think she will be in for a while yet
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I believe in the US you need special licenses to use rabbits in your show. There was a topic about this last year. I think it was mentioned you don't need one for doves or birds though.
-Matt
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I have heard that to, but have seen no actual proof of this. Would be interested to hear more!

John
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
I would consider the Chocolate Dutch or some other medium sized female (males spray). It adds an awful lot to your show. Be sure to get a cage with mesh and a poop trapper on the bottom (solid metal tray about 2" beneath mesh - this will keep the cage clean and your rabbit healthy). I use kitty litter (the aspen tree board kind) in the tray to keep odors away. Do buy from a breeder, and take a deck of cards to be sure to buy one that will "pick the card." Stick the fanned deck near rabbit's mouth and a curious baby rabbit will grab card in its teeth. Only some will do that, I don't know how to train it into them, but just take the cards and get one that already does it. . .. There are threads on breeds; I don't think it matters except that large ones don't fit in some boxes. You want one that will be 5 or 6 lbs full grown max.

Good luck. They are fun pets and regardless of what anyone says, you cannot beat them as finales (Wolf's Funhouse or Barry Mitchell's Presto Pet Production Box, with the Happy Times gift box production not far behind) to kid shows. I get bookings because of my rabbit, and there is no shame in that (I feel like it's part of a 12-step process to stand up and admit that "I have a rabbit and it makes up for a lot of my shortcomings as a magician . . . " There, I said it.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I worked a great deal with a breeder, he would give me a couple of young culls, and I'd use them until they were too big, then take them back, and he'd trade them for a couple more young culls. I didn't have to pay for rabbits, they didn't get old on me, and they didn't get too big, and he still got to sell them for meat and fur, and didn't have to pay to feed them.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
RevJohn, I have been using several pets in my shows for many years. The biggest challenge with a rabbit is keeping the cage clean. It can leave a strong odor.

Training is very simple. Most use their rabbits just for an appearance. The rabbit will not have to do anything.

There are several props than can be used to make a rabbit appear. There are also props you can use that will change your birds into a rabbit (depending on what kind of birds you have).

Kids go hysterical when then see a live rabbit appear. The first thing they would want to do is pet it after the show. Bring some type of cleansing wipes so you can have the child clean their hands after touching the rabbit.

Wherever you go to purchase your rabbit, play with it for a minute. Check and see how you can handle it. Try and pick it up. If she kicks real hard during the process, try a different one that will be relaxed. Put your hand in front of it's face to see if she will nip on your hand or not. You do not want a rabbit that will gnaw on your hand, because she might do the samething to a spectator's hand.

It does not matter if it is a boy or girl. They will both act fine.

I use white animals only. They show up more from farther away. The black of my background helps with better visibility.
francisngkl
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
509 Posts

Profile of francisngkl
I agree with Dynamike, live rabbits get huge reaction especially from preschoolers!

Francis
Carpe Diem, Seize The Day!
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I love rabbits. They make a great alternative to chicken.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
On the production front... I used to have a Wolf Magic Funhouse, but didn't use it for a rabbit.

Have those of you that have the Funhouse had good luck with producing a rabbit from it?

Thanks!

RevJohn
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Quote:
On 2011-02-25 22:25, Father Photius wrote:
I worked a great deal with a breeder, he would give me a couple of young culls, and I'd use them until they were too big, then take them back, and he'd trade them for a couple more young culls. I didn't have to pay for rabbits, they didn't get old on me, and they didn't get too big, and he still got to sell them for meat and fur, and didn't have to pay to feed them.

LOL...geez...

There's something about that...dunno.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
magicone
View Profile
Veteran user
Doylestown, PA
351 Posts

Profile of magicone
Don't get a rabbit..... then us with rabbits will just have more competition! Smile

I can't see working without one. My most recent one is a Hotot dwarf and it's my best rabbit yet. This breed has a natural black liner around the eye and I tell the children that my rabbit puts makeup on right before every show. You should see the looks and the "really!" I get from the mothers standing around.! Smile

My children also enjoy playing with her so it's our pet and it contributes to the household Smile
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
Wow....I soooo much want to have a rabbit in my show. I sooooo much don't want the responsiblity of the daily care of one. Plus I've allegies that don't allow me to live indoors with a dog and cat...rabbits are likely an issue also. If only I could just find someone to raise it for me, who also lives nearby for easy access when I need it for a show. Yeah...I'm asking too much. But...one can dream. Rabbit In A Hat will have to do for now I guess.
clownybeth
View Profile
Regular user
Western Wisconsin
106 Posts

Profile of clownybeth
Years ago I used a rabbit in my show. It's definitely a hassle, especially if you don't use an assistant. Another consideration is whether or not your liability insurance covers live animals--I don't think that all policies do. Also, think about where you are going to keep your bunny. They do not do well in hot weather, and if they are outside during the winter, their water freezes. You really need to clean their litter box (yes, they use a litter box!) every few days or it gets pretty nasty smelling. They also need to have their nails trimmed, which is a chore I hate. There are some pretty fun props for rabbits though. I have the Rabbit Wringer, as well as the circus wagon production box, and I had a lot of fun with both.

Writing about this is kinda making me want to start using a rabbit in my show again!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Wondering: Do I get a rabbit? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL